fishtales--pg family movie - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

hello!!!

i am wondering what people think of the movie fishtales (i have not seen most of it). my kids are 8.5. i saw a scene that had a girl with no top on, but no breasts showing. my husband, who was, AFTER i had asked him if it was age appropriate, was watching it with them. he thought that was fine--i disagree!!!

what do you think? parents and parents of fuzzy/furry kids, i welcome your opinions!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Banned

was this a mermaid? in all of my childrens books with mermaids in the 80's, i don't recall any of them wearing bikini tops- where would a mermaid get a bikini from- a mer-mall? ours always had strategically placed long flowing hair, and it was fine.

i haven't seen it, but i have no big issue with breasts on tv generally. i'd be suprised if any 8 year old doesn't know what boobs are, and what they're for. as a kid i saw a fair few of them (liberated ladies in changing rooms, my mum, medical books, etc) and i didn't suffer some horrible trauma. my niece and nephew (around your kids ages) would be unphased too. i never got the idea that they were something to be ashamed of or hidden away or anything. they're not a sexual object to a small child, and if they're not portrayed as such, i don't have an issue with them being visable, in an appropriate context (like a mermaid, sculpture, etc).

i don't know... maybe i see it differently cos i'm british. lots of stuff thats pixelated on american telly here in canada seems like overkill to me compared to english telly- which confuses me a bit cos we're supposed to be a nation of prudes.

how did your kids react? did you ask them how they felt about the scene?
#3 Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

hoodedclawjen--ha--i didnt see the whole movie but in watching more--its only the "mermaid" in her mer-wear (yeah prolly from mer-mall!) with a bikini top--certainly nothing my kids have not seen--i wear one!!!

my kids know all about boobs and point out how mine are small!! so, yeah--i guess i have boob issues b/c my kids point out that mine are small!!

and kids never said anything--they see me naked plenty!!! i hate it, but silly to try and prevent it and certainly never something to be ashamed of (unless your tits as are small as mine i guess!!!!!!!!!!!lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned

nah, small boobs are fine. don't get hung up over it. my mum has small boobs, i'm a bit jealous actually. i'm glad your kids are laid back about it and that you're trying to go with it- it'll save them loads of hassle later on. i can't imagine what kids who are sheltered from body parts end up imagining is being hidden from them, and think when all is finally revealed.
#5 Old 09-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

nah, small boobs are fine. don't get hung up over it. my mum has small boobs, i'm a bit jealous actually. i'm glad your kids are laid back about it and that you're trying to go with it- it'll save them loads of hassle later on. i can't imagine what kids who are sheltered from body parts end up imagining is being hidden from them, and think when all is finally revealed.

i guess i kind of got freaked out because of what i "should" care about with regard to nudity/adult matter! makes no sense, that scene i suppose given our free reign here!!

body parts here are what they are--a vagina is a vagina and a penis is a penis!!! so certainly boobs are boobs!!

making something out of nothing i suppose!!
#6 Old 09-23-2008, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom never really cared about what I watched when I was little.

I'm not that screwed up.

That help?
#7 Old 09-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

what was the context of the scene and who was the half nekkie girl?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 09-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Beginner

The only thing I didn't like about that movie was the mouthy daughter. I find myself having to explain to my daughter more and more that you do not talk to your parents/adults like that every time we watch something. Yeah, I'm a little hung up on being respectful to your elders but not so hung up on boobs.
#9 Old 09-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't care about nudity in movies or on television, and I only care about off-color language insomuch as I want to prevent my kid from repeating it in the middle of a supermarket at age 3 or something like that.

The only things I really screen for are violence & sexual objectification.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page