How do i explain my decision to other mums? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Hi, im new to this forum and also a new vegetarian, trying to become a vegan, and i want to raise my one year old to be a vegan. (I was a vego for 10 years but slipped off the wagon and started eating chicken and fish)

Im just wondering how i can explain to the other mums that this is the healthiest lifestyle for my daughter when they go on and on about how she will not be getting any protein, calcium, iron etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-17-2008, 10:36 PM

My kids are vegan. I haven't really had to explain myself to other moms. I don't bring it up unless it comes up. Sometimes people are curious as to what we eat but I haven't felt defensive about it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Is there a reason to think that other mothers that you know would not be supportive?
#3 Old 09-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

As long as your meals are 'well-planned' you can show them this link which comes from a non-baised source:

Quote:
It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Approximately 2.5% of adults in the United States and 4% of adults in Canada follow vegetarian diets.

A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not include meat, fish, or fowl. Interest in vegetarianism appears to be increasing, with many restaurants and college foodservices offering vegetarian meals routinely. Substantial growth in sales of foods attractive to vegetarians has occurred, and these foods appear in many supermarkets. This position paper reviews the current scientific data related to key nutrients for vegetarians, including protein, iron, zinc, calcium, vitamin D, riboflavin, vitamin B-12, vitamin A, n-3 fatty acids, and iodine.

A vegetarian, including vegan, diet can meet current recommendations for all of these nutrients. In some cases, use of fortified foods or supplements can be helpful in meeting recommendations for individual nutrients. Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence.

http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Celticmum and welcome

I was in your shoes just over a year ago.

You know that this is the healthiest lifestyle for your daughter, we don't make decisions that affect our children on a whim, we do what we believe in our hearts is the right thing with our childrens' welfare being a huge priority. Therefore, don't feel that you have to explain yourself or your decision to anyone, especially if they are 'going on' about things like protein, iron and calcium.

You can tell who is genuinely interested and wants to know what you know about nutrition - and that's fine, talk away. You might even convert someone!

But those who are 'going on' about it and who you feel are just being antagonistic or who really aren't interested in learning anything... I would just say to them "I am happy and content in my own knowledge of nutrition and I'm happy about the choice we've made to be vegetarian" and leave it at that. There's no point in wasting your breath and energy on people who have closed ears and hearts. You don't have to convince anyone that your daughter is getting enough of anything in her diet.

If you come across someone who obviously does want convincing, tell them you'll email them the link to some good information on the topic. This also means that you don't have to enter into a debate about the pros and cons of animal source iron versus plant source iron... (been there, done that).

Alternatively you can just focus on the ethical issue. In a few situations I've found that once I say I chose to be vegetarian for ethical reasons, the omni mums can get cagey and they stop asking questions real quick for fear that I might start preaching.

Good luck, I know it's not an easy road to travel but you generally only have to do it the one time. Once the other mums see that you're not about to crumble under their peer pressure and seeds of doubt they'll get over it, hopefully they'll come to respect your choice and you can all move on.
#5 Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

As long as your meals are 'well-planned' you can show them this link which comes from a non-baised source:

http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm

There you go, the perfect link to send to those who are really interested.
#6 Old 09-17-2008, 10:54 PM

Thank you all very much for your help. Will post more later but my little one just woke up..... sorry....
#7 Old 09-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess I never had to explain it - since my daughter eats all her veggies and beans and grains and their kids only eat chicken nuggets and potatoes. THey are jealous of her eating! Most moms have never questioned me. Probably helps that she was born big and still is in the 95% for height and is a healthy weight for her height - she's growing like a weed, not the image of the sickly, wasting away child they probably used to have for a veggie baby.
#8 Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I really haven't had this come up before. Ares is a really healthy kid and eats a wide variety of foods. One of his favorite foods is broccoli, which makes most kids cringe. He also loves to eat salads. I think that as long as your child is healthy and growing well, most people won't really question your diet.
#9 Old 09-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Beginner

I wished I had been raised a vegetarian, knowing now how much healthier it is. I'm trying to train myself to eat fruit and veggies instead cookie and cakes and stuff like that but it's hard.
#10 Old 09-29-2008, 03:08 AM
Veggie Regular

My 2yo is vegan...and the one on its way will be vegan too...people sometimes look at you a little strangely, but I've never yet had any comments that were unpleasant, but lots of curiosity, which I'm happy to encourage.

I've had a lot of 'do you supplement' which we don't at the moment as she's breastfeeding, but we will as she gets older.

I havn't had anyone ask about protien but I have had questions about calcium...to which I happily reply...she eats VAST quantities of tofu, sesame seeds/tahini/broccoli & green leafies...at which they're usually stunned into silence that my little one likes her veg so much!

Incidentally, I do have a skinny toddler...but it is very clear that that is just because she does not stop for a bloody moment!!! She's just under average height...doing well considering we're a very short family!

Clarexxx
#11 Old 09-29-2008, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ That's such a lovely post pinkmama! It's so nice to hear success stories. You sound like parents who are doing great at raising healthy vegan kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page