Switching the kids diet questions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-10-2008, 02:07 PM

Okay, the kids and I have been doing the vegetarian diet for a few weeks now, and it is going very well. My husband even decided on his own he won't eat meat around the kids any more. Yea!

Of course, I still have a few questions. My 2 and 3yo, who have very sensitive stomachs are having some trouble. I believe my 3yo is allergic to soy, which gives us a whole host of other problems. I hate to do TMI, but they have both been having loose, frequent stools. Does anyone know if this is just a normal part of changing their diet?

How do you all TACTFULLY explain to your children why they can't eat meat when their friends can? Today at a restaurant, my 5yo asked for a hamburger. I told her that hamburger was made of dead cow, did she want to eat it? Of course, she said no. It worked well, but if another child had been there eating the same dead cow burger, it could have caused trouble for the parent/child.

I haven't had any issues so far, but we do often eat with other families. Luckily when my friend brought a pizza over yesterday for lunch, she choose to leave the pepperonis at home and not deal with it.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

You could explain in the car ride to your children why none of you will be ordering meat even if the other kids are. It might be more helpful to do it in the car not infront of the waiter or other families to avoid anyone getting upset.

As for the kids having trouble with the new diet, you may want to avoid soy or only give them tiny bits at first until you are sure that is not it. Someone fed Ares chicken when we were out the other day, and he has been having horrible bathroom problems. I imagine the same thing would happen when you are introducing soy. I had a lot of stomach aches and bathroom problems when I first started eating a massive amount of meat substitutes and soy.
#3 Old 07-15-2008, 09:27 AM

Thanks. That is a good idea.

I think they are having trouble with soy. I'm trying to avoid it right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-18-2008, 09:39 PM

You could try using rice milk instead of soy. That's what we use and haven't had any tummy issues. The only time my daughter has bathroom problems like what you describe is when she eats too much fiber. There are certain foods that I prefer my daughter to have the "refined" version of-- tortillas and pasta, for example. While I would by whole wheat for myself, I stick to the white stuff for her, just so that she isn't so overloaded with fiber. Veg*n children get their RDI of fiber very easily, so that could be part of your problem (much more fiber now with the vegetarian diet than with an omni diet).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page