Therapist Latches Into Me About Son's Nutrition - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-13-2008, 08:07 PM

My son has a birth defect that causes him to have no nerve sensation in his right leg and poor nerve sensations in other parts of his body. One of these areas is also his mouth. Periodcally I'll give him somthing and he'll chew the food but it basically falls out of his mouth, with no desire to actually swallow the food.

The condition requires him to have physical & occupational therapy as well as speech therapy. I'm ok with all this and for the most part he has benefited from it. Another worry has been his lack of eating. He hardly eats and "snacks" just a little bit. Despite all this he is average weight as well as being very tall for his age and his iron levels are good. (I think he must have slow metabolism) Most the therapist are understanding about this HOWEVER today I had a run in with a therapist.

The therapist mentioned to me that every time she sees him he seems pale and life-less (First off both me and the father are pale and second of all it was his nap time so of course he's lifeless!). She asked if I had gotten him tested for an iron defficancy and I told her I had. She then asked, in an accusing manor, if I even know where to obtain iron from. And I had mentioned that of course I did and also mentioned I was vegetarian so I watch my iron levels closely.

Then the flood gates broke (so to speck) and she began ranting about proper nutrition of a toddler (even though during this time I was trying to explain that my son isn't even a full vegetarian!). She accused me of not exposing him to enough variety's of food and so on. I emphasized that it's hard to get him to eat AT all and even the daycare providers have problems getting him to eat. I was in tears by the time she left and I told my son's father about it and EVEN he was mad about it (and he's a HUGE meat eater supporter). Why do people do that? Why do they ACCUSE you of being bad parents basically!?!? ARGH!!!! I just needed to vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

She's clearly very ignorant of how healthy a vegetarian diet really is and biased because of that ignorance. You are clearly doing the best you can!
#3 Old 05-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Banned

is she a nutritionist? was the purpose of your visit to discuss nutrition? if not, its none of her business what you feed him. and anyway, there is no situation that i can think of where it'd be appropriate for her to verbally attack you. i'd report her to her superiors for innapropriate behaviour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-14-2008, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular

My son gets speech therapy also.I know what I would do if she jumped our case about our son nutrition and basicly called us bad parents.Call her boss and give him/her the run down on what happened then let him know that she isnt welcome back in your home and that you want a new therapist.
#5 Old 05-14-2008, 02:30 AM
Banned

Glad you vented .....I agree with hoodje and guinnesshero , get on to her boss , you don't need that sort of negativity around you or your son .
#6 Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 AM

I am thinking about reporting her because I still feel 24 hours later, upset about it. People are so silly. It makes me wanna go out and find my son some veggie chick nuggets he'll eat and make his diet even more vegetarian for some reason.
#7 Old 05-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

You should definately report her. I'm sure if you can call the office and ask for assistance in doing so. Or if there is a hospital associated with them, call and talk to someone in reception. I'd at least find your son a different therapist. That should still be addressed however.

I feel the same way when I get bashed on for mine and my daughters food choices. I think these troubles that happen help define our choices.
#8 Old 05-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Some people are seriously so uneducated with regards to vegitarianism it's crazy. If you were feeding your son McDonald hambugers and french fries she probably wouldn't have anything to say about nutrition. Don't listen to her and if she really did upset you that much I would definitely speak with someone about that. You have enough on your plate caring for your son and I'm sure you ALWAYS wonder if you're doing enough for him. (My BFF's son is autistic & I know she can't stop wondering if she's done enough) You sound like a great mother who cares for her son in the proper fashion and you should not be subjected to any attacks, from anyone, EVER!! Feel better!! Peace & Love!!

P.S.-- Morning Star Farms makes DELICOUS "chick'n" nuggets!!! -- Just an FYI
#9 Old 05-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Some people are seriously so uneducated with regards to vegitarianism it's crazy. If you were feeding your son McDonald hambugers and french fries she probably wouldn't have anything to say about nutrition. Don't listen to her and if she really did upset you that much I would definitely speak with someone about that. You have enough on your plate caring for your son and I'm sure you ALWAYS wonder if you're doing enough for him. (My BFF's son is autistic & I know she can't stop wondering if she's done enough) You sound like a great mother who cares for her son in the proper fashion and you should not be subjected to any attacks, from anyone, EVER!! Feel better!! Peace & Love!!

P.S.-- Morning Star Farms makes DELICOUS "chick'n" nuggets!!! -- Just an FYI

Awesome post Nickle, I agree with you 100%!
#10 Old 05-15-2008, 11:56 AM

I talked to another therapist that visits my son today (She had mentioned all her daughters a vegetarian). And she was upset by it and agreed the woman was out of line calling my son "pale and lifeless". She said she would report it for us and she wrote up a report for us. She had conflict with this women as well and realizes she can be very abrasive.
#11 Old 05-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prajna_Seeker View Post

I talked to another therapist that visits my son today (She had mentioned all her daughters a vegetarian). And she was upset by it and agreed the woman was out of line calling my son "pale and lifeless". She said she would report it for us and she wrote up a report for us. She had conflict with this women as well and realizes she can be very abrasive.

I'm glad you are doing something about this woman. Have you found another therapist for your son?
#12 Old 05-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

good job!

whenever i think twice about reporting somone for stuff like that, i wonder how many other people also thought twice and decided against it.

theway i see it is that if its a one-off, then one person complains in her whole career, and it'd be no big deal- but if its a regular occourance, and everyone else who was upset said something too, something that needs doing gets done- she gets some much needed training, or to speak to a councellor, comes to realise that its inappopriate to be hostile with people who are already feeling fragile, and becomes a happier person who does her job more effectively.

speaking up does everyone else a favour, not just you.
#13 Old 05-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Unrelated to therapy, but along the lines of unprofessional "medical care practitioners:" 4 years ago, my wife saw a doctor once who only looked at her for 15 minutes, drew no blood, asked no questions about lifestyle, before prescribing blood pressure medication.
#14 Old 05-16-2008, 07:01 AM

Wow...isn't it amazing how the medical community works now a days? I got a my neck hurt a little bit and decided I oughta go in and make sure it was nothing serious. Without XRAYs or anything, the doctor prescribed an addictive pain killer and a muscle relaxer. I refused it and in 4 days my neck felt fine.
#15 Old 05-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

any update on the therapist? do you know if they did anything about her?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page