ever second guess yourself? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-20-2008, 08:11 AM

I had somebody tell my wife the other day that we were stupid if we did not give our child meat. A few days later....the same comment, from somebody else! I firmly believe that what we are doing is right, it's just that when you get all this negativity, it eats at you. I turned veg 2 years ago when my son was 9 months old , my wife turned a few months ago. Ever get this from people?

I have to return some videotapes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

That's right!

Because Pepsi and frozen chicken nuggets are what small children REALLY need...

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#3 Old 04-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Generally I don't get much. I think there are many in my family who don't approve, but they would never say - I don't know if this is a Canadian thing or what, but I have really not encountered - anywhere - blatant insults of my choices.

The thing is - you KNOW you're right - and I think that second guessing yourself is part of parenthood. I know I do it all the time, and about the stupidest stuff. Rrr - honestly, that might be the hardest thing about parenting. If you've done some research, and come to a conclusion - trust yourself. They don't know what they're talking about when it comes to nutrition - chances are, you do. So you are the expert - probably even over your doctor - and therefore, you know best.

And..... so do all of us here - so trust us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-20-2008, 04:31 PM

thanks Nookle. I guess I just needed to hear some positive words from people who understand.. I know deep down that I should trust myself...and do... but like you said, it is a natural part of parenthood to second guess yourself.

#5 Old 04-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by batesmotel View Post

thanks Nookle. I guess I just needed to hear some positive words from people who understand.. I know deep down that I should trust myself...and do... but like you said, it is a natural part of parenthood to second guess yourself.

Honestly I think it's good that you are second guessing your self. It shows that you are concerned with what is best for your child and not just your own opinions. Like Nookle said you know what is right and that is what matters.
#6 Old 04-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I had somebody tell my wife the other day that we were stupid if we did not give our child meat. A few days later....the same comment, from somebody else!

Aw shucks I'd never say something like that.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#7 Old 04-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was pregnant, I would sometimes get funny or hostile looks from people if I mentioned I was Vegan. However, now that my son is 10 months old and twice the size of any of their puny infants, no one says anything to me about how we feed our son.
#8 Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSHF View Post

When I was pregnant, I would sometimes get funny or hostile looks from people if I mentioned I was Vegan. However, now that my son is 10 months old and twice the size of any of their puny infants, no one says anything to me about how we feed our son.

#9 Old 04-23-2008, 04:53 PM

Gillibean that's awesome! I love hearing that stuff! I got another one today. My wife was going through the checkout at a grocery store. We had some meatless "meat" dinners. The man packing the bags says, "you know that stuff is so bad for you, it full of chemicals and preservatives, you might as well have a steak" Are you freaking kidding me? I am lost for words..........I mean we just bought the stuff!

#10 Old 04-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Gillibean that's awesome! I love hearing that stuff! I got another one today. My wife was going through the checkout at a grocery store. We had some meatless "meat" dinners. The man packing the bags says, "you know that stuff is so bad for you, it full of chemicals and preservatives, you might as well have a steak" Are you freaking kidding me? I am lost for words..........I mean we just bought the stuff!

How rude! Some of them are like that sure (though i disagree you might as well have a steak) but I think some of them are relatively healthy. All frozen dinners are like that, some are crappy and some are actually good for you. Let's just hope I remember all this when I have kids and refuse to feed them meat...
#11 Old 04-23-2008, 08:52 PM

ya, and it's not like we live on stuff like that anyway. Every now and then when we need a quick dinner you know? I agree some are bad. It was the "might as well have a steak" comment that burns my ass. Ya your right, you know what? screw the veggies, lets go get us some nicely packaged cow parts.

#12 Old 04-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

ya, and it's not like we live on stuff like that anyway. Every now and then when we need a quick dinner you know? I agree some are bad. It was the "might as well have a steak" comment that burns my ass. Ya your right, you know what? screw the veggies, lets go get us some nicely packaged cow parts.

#13 Old 04-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

It's kinda funny, because I get a lot of crap from my FIL because of Ares being veggie. I also have him all worked up because I'm pregnant again, even though my first pregnancy went fine. He has even slipped Ares little ham slices off of a salad bar before, to have him spit them out and grab a banana.

We went to the WIC office a few days ago, and the lady said nothing about me being vegan and Ares being vegetarian. We were both tested to make sure the iron in our blood is fine, and it was. I was told Ares was a little short and underweight for his age, but it was normal because he was premature. This is a trained nutritionalist, so if it didn't bother her that we don't eat meat, not sure why anyone else should be bothered.
#14 Old 04-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Fritemare- CONGRATS on your pregnancy!

To the OP- I get some "concern" speeches every now and again. My parents think I'm crazy because I'm raising my 2 little ones veg.

I KNOW that I'm doing the right thing though. Plus no one can look at my girls and say they aren't healthy.

There will always be misinformed ppl out there. You just have to keep doing what you know is right for your family.
#15 Old 04-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that when I have a kid (not in the near future...I am only 21!) I will carry around 5 extra copies of a book on how raise vegan children and pass them out whenever anyone makes a smart ass comment. I can't stand people like that. It goes away after a while...Ive been vegan for 5 years and no one dares say anything to me anymore.
#16 Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Carry a copy of this around with you and show it to people who make those asinine remarks:

Quote:

Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence.

#17 Old 04-30-2008, 03:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

That's right!

lol
#18 Old 04-30-2008, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular

We haven't really received directly negative comments, but I do know that several family members are "concerned" for our children's health.

Why is it that people seem to think that we are being mean or unfair to our children by raising them vegetarian when in fact we are giving them the healthiest start to life? Our little veggie kids are already significantly less likely to get cancer, heart disease, become overweight.... etc etc etc.... and yet WE are the ones that end up second guessing ourselves due to the negative comments of ignorant people.

I had a doctor tell me today that I need to feed my sons meat "because actually, we are really carnivores" he said. He proceeded to tell me that my son was healthy and fine and that he does not appear to be anemic or anything, but that he "NEEDS" meat.

batesmotel, you are doing the right thing! Your kids will thank you. My sister raised her daughter vegetarian from the day she was born and now she is 25 and a healthy, strong and intelligent woman who is now vegan and very thankful to her mother for her healthy upbringing.
#19 Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 PM

thank you everyone for your comments...I appreciate it ! Charlottejane, that doctor story is crazy!

#20 Old 04-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I know, isn't it ridiculous? What a Neanderthal?
#21 Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 PM

Big time!

#22 Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

That's right!

Basically off-topic but this made me think of something my friend told me the other day...

Her sister is a nanny and the mom gives the 1-year old a sippy cup of COCA COLA every night before he goes to bed.
#23 Old 05-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

Basically off-topic but this made me think of something my friend told me the other day...

Her sister is a nanny and the mom gives the 1-year old a sippy cup of COCA COLA every night before he goes to bed.

This is even more off topic but that reminded me of something my nephew did on sunday. We were bbqing outside and had scattered soda/beer cans in the chairs. While everyone was sitting around talking, mason somehow managed to get an attended soda can and across to the other side of the yard to drink it. He also tried to take my beer can later
#24 Old 05-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

One time when I was babysitting, the 3-year old snuck upstairs to his dad's office. I went up there to find him taking a sip from a can of beer...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page