ever second guess yourself? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 04-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Newbie
 
batesmotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 55
I had somebody tell my wife the other day that we were stupid if we did not give our child meat. A few days later....the same comment, from somebody else! I firmly believe that what we are doing is right, it's just that when you get all this negativity, it eats at you. I turned veg 2 years ago when my son was 9 months old , my wife turned a few months ago. Ever get this from people?

I have to return some videotapes
batesmotel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 04-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Hazelnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,995
That's right!

Because Pepsi and frozen chicken nuggets are what small children REALLY need...

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Hazelnut is offline  
#3 Old 04-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
nookle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,003
Generally I don't get much. I think there are many in my family who don't approve, but they would never say - I don't know if this is a Canadian thing or what, but I have really not encountered - anywhere - blatant insults of my choices.



The thing is - you KNOW you're right - and I think that second guessing yourself is part of parenthood. I know I do it all the time, and about the stupidest stuff. Rrr - honestly, that might be the hardest thing about parenting. If you've done some research, and come to a conclusion - trust yourself. They don't know what they're talking about when it comes to nutrition - chances are, you do. So you are the expert - probably even over your doctor - and therefore, you know best.



And..... so do all of us here - so trust us!
nookle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 04-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Newbie
 
batesmotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 55
thanks Nookle. I guess I just needed to hear some positive words from people who understand.. I know deep down that I should trust myself...and do... but like you said, it is a natural part of parenthood to second guess yourself.

I have to return some videotapes
batesmotel is offline  
#5 Old 04-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by batesmotel View Post

thanks Nookle. I guess I just needed to hear some positive words from people who understand.. I know deep down that I should trust myself...and do... but like you said, it is a natural part of parenthood to second guess yourself.



Honestly I think it's good that you are second guessing your self. It shows that you are concerned with what is best for your child and not just your own opinions. Like Nookle said you know what is right and that is what matters.
gillibean is offline  
#6 Old 04-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
SomebodyElse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a California Ghost Town
Posts: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by batesmotel View Post

I had somebody tell my wife the other day that we were stupid if we did not give our child meat. A few days later....the same comment, from somebody else!

Aw shucks I'd never say something like that.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
SomebodyElse is offline  
#7 Old 04-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
MRSSHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 820
When I was pregnant, I would sometimes get funny or hostile looks from people if I mentioned I was Vegan. However, now that my son is 10 months old and twice the size of any of their puny infants, no one says anything to me about how we feed our son.
MRSSHF is offline  
#8 Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSHF View Post

When I was pregnant, I would sometimes get funny or hostile looks from people if I mentioned I was Vegan. However, now that my son is 10 months old and twice the size of any of their puny infants, no one says anything to me about how we feed our son.



gillibean is offline  
#9 Old 04-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Newbie
 
batesmotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 55
Gillibean that's awesome! I love hearing that stuff! I got another one today. My wife was going through the checkout at a grocery store. We had some meatless "meat" dinners. The man packing the bags says, "you know that stuff is so bad for you, it full of chemicals and preservatives, you might as well have a steak" Are you freaking kidding me? I am lost for words..........I mean we just bought the stuff!

I have to return some videotapes
batesmotel is offline  
#10 Old 04-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by batesmotel View Post

Gillibean that's awesome! I love hearing that stuff! I got another one today. My wife was going through the checkout at a grocery store. We had some meatless "meat" dinners. The man packing the bags says, "you know that stuff is so bad for you, it full of chemicals and preservatives, you might as well have a steak" Are you freaking kidding me? I am lost for words..........I mean we just bought the stuff!



How rude! Some of them are like that sure (though i disagree you might as well have a steak) but I think some of them are relatively healthy. All frozen dinners are like that, some are crappy and some are actually good for you. Let's just hope I remember all this when I have kids and refuse to feed them meat...
gillibean is offline  
#11 Old 04-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Newbie
 
batesmotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 55
ya, and it's not like we live on stuff like that anyway. Every now and then when we need a quick dinner you know? I agree some are bad. It was the "might as well have a steak" comment that burns my ass. Ya your right, you know what? screw the veggies, lets go get us some nicely packaged cow parts.

I have to return some videotapes
batesmotel is offline  
#12 Old 04-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by batesmotel View Post

ya, and it's not like we live on stuff like that anyway. Every now and then when we need a quick dinner you know? I agree some are bad. It was the "might as well have a steak" comment that burns my ass. Ya your right, you know what? screw the veggies, lets go get us some nicely packaged cow parts.



gillibean is offline  
#13 Old 04-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Fritemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,154
It's kinda funny, because I get a lot of crap from my FIL because of Ares being veggie. I also have him all worked up because I'm pregnant again, even though my first pregnancy went fine. He has even slipped Ares little ham slices off of a salad bar before, to have him spit them out and grab a banana.



We went to the WIC office a few days ago, and the lady said nothing about me being vegan and Ares being vegetarian. We were both tested to make sure the iron in our blood is fine, and it was. I was told Ares was a little short and underweight for his age, but it was normal because he was premature. This is a trained nutritionalist, so if it didn't bother her that we don't eat meat, not sure why anyone else should be bothered.
Fritemare is offline  
#14 Old 04-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular
 
paganveg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 698
Fritemare- CONGRATS on your pregnancy!



To the OP- I get some "concern" speeches every now and again. My parents think I'm crazy because I'm raising my 2 little ones veg.



I KNOW that I'm doing the right thing though. Plus no one can look at my girls and say they aren't healthy.



There will always be misinformed ppl out there. You just have to keep doing what you know is right for your family.
paganveg is offline  
#15 Old 04-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
CountessKerouac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,057
I think that when I have a kid (not in the near future...I am only 21!) I will carry around 5 extra copies of a book on how raise vegan children and pass them out whenever anyone makes a smart ass comment. I can't stand people like that. It goes away after a while...Ive been vegan for 5 years and no one dares say anything to me anymore.
CountessKerouac is offline  
#16 Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fyvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,664
Carry a copy of this around with you and show it to people who make those asinine remarks:



Quote:

Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence.

Fyvel is offline  
#17 Old 04-30-2008, 03:33 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

That's right!

Because Pepsi and frozen chicken nuggets are what small children REALLY need...



lol
guinnesshero is offline  
#18 Old 04-30-2008, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Charlottejane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 319
We haven't really received directly negative comments, but I do know that several family members are "concerned" for our children's health.



Why is it that people seem to think that we are being mean or unfair to our children by raising them vegetarian when in fact we are giving them the healthiest start to life? Our little veggie kids are already significantly less likely to get cancer, heart disease, become overweight.... etc etc etc.... and yet WE are the ones that end up second guessing ourselves due to the negative comments of ignorant people.



I had a doctor tell me today that I need to feed my sons meat "because actually, we are really carnivores" he said. He proceeded to tell me that my son was healthy and fine and that he does not appear to be anemic or anything, but that he "NEEDS" meat.



batesmotel, you are doing the right thing! Your kids will thank you. My sister raised her daughter vegetarian from the day she was born and now she is 25 and a healthy, strong and intelligent woman who is now vegan and very thankful to her mother for her healthy upbringing.
Charlottejane is offline  
#19 Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Newbie
 
batesmotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 55
thank you everyone for your comments...I appreciate it ! Charlottejane, that doctor story is crazy!

I have to return some videotapes
batesmotel is offline  
#20 Old 04-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Charlottejane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 319
I know, isn't it ridiculous? What a Neanderthal?
Charlottejane is offline  
#21 Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Newbie
 
batesmotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 55
Big time!

I have to return some videotapes
batesmotel is offline  
#22 Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ChiKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

That's right!

Because Pepsi and frozen chicken nuggets are what small children REALLY need...



Basically off-topic but this made me think of something my friend told me the other day...

Her sister is a nanny and the mom gives the 1-year old a sippy cup of COCA COLA every night before he goes to bed.
ChiKat is offline  
#23 Old 05-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

Basically off-topic but this made me think of something my friend told me the other day...

Her sister is a nanny and the mom gives the 1-year old a sippy cup of COCA COLA every night before he goes to bed.



This is even more off topic but that reminded me of something my nephew did on sunday. We were bbqing outside and had scattered soda/beer cans in the chairs. While everyone was sitting around talking, mason somehow managed to get an attended soda can and across to the other side of the yard to drink it. He also tried to take my beer can later
gillibean is offline  
#24 Old 05-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ChiKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,445
One time when I was babysitting, the 3-year old snuck upstairs to his dad's office. I went up there to find him taking a sip from a can of beer...
ChiKat is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off