Babies and Tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

You can begin offering tofu to your baby around 8 months as an alternative to meat. I found some fun ways to get your infant or toddler interested in tofu. The ideas/recipes below are for "independent sitters" and babies that have started eating finger foods or chunkier foods. Ares won't be able to eat all of these yet, but I was going to try some of the blended ones.

Cut soft or firm tofu into small bite-sized cubes and dust it with crushed cheerios, wheat germ or crushed graham crackers. (cubes work best with Firm tofu but Soft works as well)

Blend it up with a banana and wheat germ and serve by spoon. You may blend it with any type of fruit(s) like apples, strawberries, blueberries or pears. **Clings to the spoon and is great for older babies who are learning how to self-feed with utensils.**

Cube it and toss it into soups or broth (prior to seasoning) and give the cubes to baby. Use it as an alternative to meats in "adult" soups.

Cube it and fry it gently in olive oil, add seasonings of your choice for either adults or babies.

Mash tofu with cottage cheese, avocado or even mix with hummus. Add seasoning to make a sandwich spread or use as Baby Finger Foods.

Create your own tofu burgers with mashed tofu, bread crumbs (or baby cereal for baby!), chopped onion (or veggie puree appropriate for your baby's age!) and your favorite seasonings.

Use the silken tofu and add fruits, yogurt, and fruit juice to create a Baby Fruit Smoothie.

Tofu Baby Meals cube and sauté in olive oil (add spices like pepper, garlic, onion basil etc.). You may also just blend or cube and serve:

Blend tofu, applesauce and squash together for a yummy meal.

Blend tofu, avocado and pears together

Blend tofu, blueberries and bananas together

Blend tofu with sweet potato and carrots

Blend tofu with broccoli and parsnips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

So good blended with anything. I blend tofu into almost every sauce I make for her, whether it's pizza sauce, pasta sauce, or a spread for a sandwich. Yum.
#3 Old 11-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

With my 3 1/2 yr old I have to blend it in to stuff, cause she is SO picky! Interesting ideas!

Luckily, my 18 month old loves it..especially stir fried with garlic, broccoli and soy sauce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually if you have food allergies in the family, you should wait until at least 12 months for either dairy or soy. Just FYI for everyone!
#5 Old 11-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's totally gross, but my son Ares who is 9 months old will just eat the stuff plain and cold. I had cubed some up to fry for dinner the other night and he snatched a chunk and started smashing it up and eating it. I was pleased that he likes it, but grossed out at the same time.
#6 Old 11-29-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritemare View Post

I think it's totally gross, but my son Ares who is 9 months old will just eat the stuff plain and cold. I had cubed some up to fry for dinner the other night and he snatched a chunk and started smashing it up and eating it. I was pleased that he likes it, but grossed out at the same time.

My son will eat it that way too lol - *gag* I just can't imagine eating cold uncooked tofu
#7 Old 12-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

i love cold uncooked tofu with a little salt and pepper in a sandwich or over a salad. :yum:
#8 Old 12-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

i love cold uncooked tofu with a little salt and pepper in a sandwich or over a salad. :yum:

Yep. Me too! A little splash of umeboshi vinegar on plain, cold tofu and put it in a salad: or a bit of salt and pepper and eat it on toast.

It's practically tasteless, I'm seriously surprised people are grossed out by eating it cold.
#9 Old 12-16-2007, 01:15 PM

i blend it with raspberries, juice etc and freeze them - she loves popsicles... i've also experimented with spinach and shredded carrot in the juice pops -- she likes that too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page