Thanksgiving - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I've always gone to my grandparents for Thanksgiving and though I've been vegan now for 7 years my grandparents still joke about me trying Turkey. Thing is I have a five year old son who is also vegan. He's always been very strict making sure everything is vegan before he eats it but this year he told my grandparents he wanted to try the turkey. I told him if that's what he wanted to do then I wouldn't stop him but I myself was going to eat the vegan food I'd brought. I felt really bad about this, I'd never had him actually want to try meat before so I didn't really know how to react. Later on I sat down with him on the couch and I asked him if he really wanted to try the turkey or not and he told me no and I hugged him, I told him I was glad because I didn't really want him to.

Does anyone have any older kids here that have tried or want to eat meat?

I plan on letting Ethan make his own decision on what he eats when he's older but right now I don't think I'm ready to watch my little man try it especially when he doesn't really understand why he's doing it.

I appologize if this is a repeat thread but I don't have much time to search through the old ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

My family homeschools, and we had something similiar come up at a park day outing.

One of the women there had vegan children, and there was a pot luck picnic going on. Of course, almost all of the dishes had meat in them and most of the ones that lacked meat were not vegan. So, the kids just kind of sat there watching all their friends eat. They had packed lunches of course and their mom had brought a covered dish that was vegan, and so had I but they felt left out. She felt bad and ended up letting them have some cookies that weren't vegan because they kept asking her over and over.

I'm sure this situation is going to come up more than I want it to once Ares is old enough to decide what he wants to eat. His dad eats meat, and we really haven't talked about Ares being vegan. I want him to atleast be vegetarian until he can make his own decisions.

Most of the time, her kids never seemed to ask her if they could order stuff that had meat in it. When ever we went out to lunch with her family, they would always order something that was vegan or atleast vegetarian. I think it has a lot to do with them seeing other people eating things they can't eat, and they get curious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page