My daughter is interested (in becoming vegetarian) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-16-2007, 01:55 PM

My oldest daughter is 9 years old and has heard me in conversation about becoming a vegetarian and she is asking all kinds of questions. I honestly don't know how to approach her because i am not knowledgable enough to support my answers. My convictions for becoming a vegetarian is the recent reading on animal abuse the I guess I have been so nieve on. Also I have hig blood pressure and I hear great things on cutting out meat products.

I want to go total vegan but not quite sure I can because I am suffering from headaches since I became a vegetarian almost a month ago. I know that my iron levels are really low and I am trying to get that under control.

Any suggestions on how to give her the correct info will be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2007, 02:05 PM

I think you should read up on vegetarian nutrition before approaching her. What are her questions? Have you mentioned that you do it because you love animals? "I love animals, and I don't want to eat them" or "Meat hurts animals, and I love animals". Give her a little more as she asks. If you look around this forum you'll see more questions like yours, and better answers. (I'm 15, my parents are FAR from veg, I went/learned on my own, and have zero children. So someone else could help better..)

But heres a link on proper veggie nutrition.

And one for children can be found here.

(I had the first link, but had to do a quick search to find the second, so I hope it's a good site.)
#3 Old 06-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's great that your daughter is interested! You are raising a compassionate child! I've read several articles stating that vegetarians tend to have higher IQ's than their meat eating counterparts too (I don't believe it is because of the vegetarianism, but just that people with higher IQ's more often choose to be vegetarian)

I wouldn't go into the gory details about animal slaughter or anything, but keep it framed more in an "animals are my friends, i don't eat my friends" way.

WRT your headaches.. are you sure you've been eating enough since you went veg? A lot of people don't realize the caloric difference between vegetarian food and meat since you get filled up on low calorie high fiber "bulk" foods faster than calorie dense meat. What are you eating in a day? Have you also cut out caffeine or sugar substitutes? Suddenly stopping those could also cause headaches.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Kids (and adults) can be completely healthy on a vegan diet. They have to actually eat vegetables though. If you just eat a lot of processed grains and fake meat, you can be really malnourished. Of course you'd also be malnourished on an omni diet if you don't eat veggies or whole grains but you'd be deficient in different things.
#5 Old 06-17-2007, 07:58 PM

Oh wow, i didn't think that I could be malnourished! That is scary! Need to eat more fruits and veggies stuff! I have been trying to eat but we are financially tight right now so I am just having to find something to eat.

I have been craving mac and cheese and not to gross anyone out but my periods are outta wack! Can that have anything to do with drasticlly changing my eating habits??
#6 Old 06-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with most of the other people here in reference to what to say to your daughter.

As for nutrition, do you have any veg*n cookbooks? Variety is pretty important (as it is with any diet).

I had some headaches when I first became a vegan. Although I've gotten migraines off and on for the last 10+ years. When I became vegan my diet changed so drastically (I was a big flesh consumer ), it was hard for me to learn to eat vegan style foods. It took a few months, and I just tried to eat dishes I could and found what I enjoyed and liked, while focusing on a variety of foods.

I believe everything.
#7 Old 06-17-2007, 08:10 PM

I am going to have to invest in a veg*n cookbook. I am the only vegetarian in the family for now.
#8 Old 06-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmond View Post

I am going to have to invest in a veg*n cookbook. I am the only vegetarian in the family for now.

There are plenty of recipes online, if you're trying to budget. www.vegweb.com has a ton, we've got a ton here. The library is also an option. If I find a cookbook I really want (I go to bookstores and read them and make notes of the ones I'd like to own), I buy them used off of ebay or half.com or a used book site somewhere. I can usually get them for a few bucks.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 06-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmond View Post

Oh wow, i didn't think that I could be malnourished! That is scary! Need to eat more fruits and veggies stuff! I have been trying to eat but we are financially tight right now so I am just having to find something to eat.

I have been craving mac and cheese and not to gross anyone out but my periods are outta wack! Can that have anything to do with drasticlly changing my eating habits??

Eat your veggies! Frozen veggies and canned beans are cheap and can be prepared in the microwave

I'm the only veggie at my house but I'm the one who cooks and shops so I get to dictate everyone's eating habits.
#10 Old 06-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a book out there called Becoming Vegan. I suggest that you both read through it. It's easy.

You can get it for <$10

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQpr...QQcpidZ5115033
#11 Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 PM

Thank you everyone so very much! I really appreciate all of your help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page