my kids don't like soy milk :( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-19-2006, 11:39 AM

Has anyone found that their kids prefer one brand of soy milk over an other? Maybe vanilla flavor insted of plain?

My girls are 9, 6, and 2 and they are very used to cows milk. I would love for them to completly switch over to soy but I'm having a hard time getting them to drink it.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2006, 11:48 AM

If I wasn't worried about calories and sugar, I would drink Silk Vanilla soy milk (original or light) 24 hours a day!! It is SOOOOOOOOOOO goooooooood!!! Actually I've liked every vanilla soy milk I've had.

Would you consider rice milk? I drink unsweetened rice milk and it is still very very sweet tasting - quite delish! I like unsweetened Rice Dream - I alternate between that and unsweetened Silk soy milk.
#3 Old 09-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a big fan of soymilk, either, even vanilla. It just tastes a little too beany IMO.

BUT I discovered that I prefer vanilla rice milk, not just for my cereal, but for drinking straight. I think it tastes more like cow's millk than soymilk does. (It seems to have a creamier texture than soymilk). And the weird thing is, I HATE the taste of cow's milk with a passion.

If you can find vanilla rice milk, you ought to give that a try and see if your kids will like it. Rice Dream vanilla rice millk is fortified, so you don't have to worry about that. If they like it, you may have found a replacement for both soymilk and cow's milk.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Heart Beet

my suggestions for kids would be Silk, particularly Vanilla. or the Whole Foods generic 365 vanilla is great too.

that being said, if they are drinking dairy now, why not just cut their milk 50/50 with soy and then decrease the ratio until they are on soy? you dont even really have to tell them...

i dont think its any worse than trying to hide pureed broccoli in spaghetti sauce (something i have also done to picky eaters)... lol
#5 Old 09-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

My kids actually love soy milk. I wasn't planning on making them drink it but they both switched on their own because they found they liked it much better than cow's milk. I actually had to throw a whole gallon of milk away because no one would drink it (I've since stopped buying it.) Anyway, if they don't like soymilk, try a different kind of milk. A lot of people like rice milk and also almond milk tastes awesome. It doesn't taste like cow's milk but it tastes really good.

Another thing you could try is to switch them to 1% or fat-free milk for a while and once they get used to that, switch to soy.
#6 Old 09-19-2006, 02:04 PM

I dig rice milk too. Almond milk is also quite yummy.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 09-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

You gotta start with the Chocolate!

Chocolate Silk or 8th Continent.

Or try the Strawberry Silk. Regular and Vanilla aren't as good imo. But once they've been away from Cow's Milk and have been drinking soy milk or rice milk for a while, then reintroduce vanilla or regular and they might like it. I found regular soy milk to be very disgusting at first, but recently drank a glass of enhanced silk when I had an upset stomach and found I really liked it, and now occassionally drink a glass just because I like the taste now. But Chocolate Silk I liked right from the start.
#8 Old 09-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't cry over jilted soy milk. Just keep trying different brands and kinds of vegetable milks until your family is so sick of it they'd happily drink milk made from a rutabaga if you would only just stop.

Cheers!

TJ

PS. It's Almond Breeze chocolate milk that raises my plank.
#9 Old 09-19-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

#10 Old 09-19-2006, 03:37 PM

Thanks guys! I think I will definatly try rice milk next. My 6 year old loves choc. soy milk so that's a start.

They drink skim milk right now so I think think it's the thickness of the soy that turns them off.

I guess once I stop buying cow milk they can either drink the soy or rice milk or drink water or fruit juice insted.

Thanks again!
#11 Old 09-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to drink four cups of cow's milk a day. The only kind of plant milk I can even bring myself to sip is almond breeze. I use Rice Dream on my cereal, but I tried drinking it once and regretted it.
#12 Old 09-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

^ Yeah, almond milk is *really* good. If that doesn't hook them, I'd try rice or other grain (multigrain, oat, etc. milks). Chocolate if necessary to get them hooked, then wean them to vanilla/plain. Once they've gotten away from cow's milk and forgotten it a bit, you might even be able to convince them to give soymilk another try.
#13 Old 09-19-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Don't cry over jilted soy milk. Just keep trying different brands and kinds of vegetable milks until your family is so sick of it they'd happily drink milk made from a rutabaga if you would only just stop.

Cheers!

TJ

OH MY!!!

lol- My kids, 8 and 1, drink chocolate silk- My 8-year old doesn't know the difference, and my 1 year old has never had cow's milk....We use vanilla rice dream milk in our cereal- and oatmeal. Regular soy milk is awesome for pancakes and in dairy-free mac n cheese if you can find it...To make sure they're getting all the calcium they need, we have a glass of oj + calcium for breakfast each day, and I'll be searching my local stores for that Almond Breeze stuff!!
#14 Old 09-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Beginner

It will just take time for them to get used to it...unless you luck out and find a kind they like better then cows milk. I went vegan right away instead of slowly easing off the dairy products, and it did take me awhile to finally be okay with the taste of soymilk, but now I love it. It took about 2 weeks of having it on my cereal every morning until I started getting used to it.
#15 Old 09-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

mix 20% soymilk with 80% cow's milk the first week, then 30/70, 40/60...and so on.
#16 Old 09-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

If they like skim milk right now, they may do best with rice milk or a light soy milk; it will probably have the closest mouth feel.
#17 Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Beginner

I also don't like soy milk, the after-taste gets me. I use rice milk most of the time but every now and then I treat myself to some chocolate almond milk :yum:!!
#18 Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saileeney View Post

Has anyone found that their kids prefer one brand of soy milk over an other? Maybe vanilla flavor insted of plain?

My girls are 9, 6, and 2 and they are very used to cows milk. I would love for them to completly switch over to soy but I'm having a hard time getting them to drink it.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

It's so strange to me when I hear of younger kids not liking soy milk - I thought most kids loved sweet things!

I have noticed with my younger siblings though, that it's not that they don't like soy milk - it's that it's something new and 'weird' to them. My brothers in particular refused to try soy milk when I started drinking it at around age 16 (they were ages 7 to 14).

Now the whole family will drink soy milk if I offer it to them, but it did take getting used to. I even had to get used to the new taste - it's just not what you expect to get when you think you're drinking "milk."

The only possible solution I have (what worked for us) is having them drink it with things like cereal and desserts and first - I had to get used to it on cereal first, then with oreos, things like that, and it took me months to get used to regular soy milk from the vanilla even.

It's not an especially healthy way to go I guess, but I really think once they get used to having it mixed with things, like cereal and oatmeal, they'll aquire a taste for it and eventually enjoy drinking it alone.

Good luck to you.
#19 Old 09-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

........Regular soy milk is awesome for pancakes and in dairy-free mac n cheese if you can find it...

Is soy milk not too sweet for things like (dairy-free) mac n cheese?

When I first started drinking soy milk I put it on everything - I quickly realized how awful the sweet taste is for certain things (mashed potatoes have never tasted so awful! )

I just figured it wouldn't work well with pastas either. That's great news for me if I've been wrong all along!
#20 Old 09-21-2006, 05:43 AM
Heart Beet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moechalatte View Post

Is soy milk not too sweet for things like (dairy-free) mac n cheese?

When I first started drinking soy milk I put it on everything - I quickly realized how awful the sweet taste is for certain things (mashed potatoes have never tasted so awful! )

I just figured it wouldn't work well with pastas either. That's great news for me if I've been wrong all along!

try buying "unsweetened" soymilk for these things and your results will be much more similar to the "original recipe". you are right, conventional, sweetened soymilk is too sweet for most cooking imo.
#21 Old 09-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moechalatte View Post

My mom always puts a touch of brown sugar in her mashed potaotes and they're great! Sure, it wouldn't work for garlic mashed potatoes or something savory like that.
#22 Old 09-23-2006, 06:12 PM

Hahaha, well I used to be the biggest milk-drinker EVER! (Cereal for breakfast and dinner, a carton at school, and usu. a glass afer school), and I LOVE soymilk to death. Vanilla or plain, they're great!! But since your kids prefer the taste of cows milk, I would definitely recommend rice milk. I just bought some recently to see what it tastes like and it tastes a LOT like cow's milk, which was actually a turn-off for me. It does taste good in really sweet cereals though, whereas soymilk sometimes doesn't (well, for me it always tastes great, but some people think it's too sweet).My mom loved it, and she's an omni who tends to not even try my vegan dishes just because their vegan. So, try rice milk first. Don't even tell them , just make their cereal for them and they won't notice.

Almond milk tastes like, well almonds. It's pretty gross, I think. It is seriously like drinking almonds, the only way I could down it was in my Honey Nut Cheerios (I didn't completetly cut out honey).
#23 Old 09-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Beginner

Vanilla flavor over plain is a miracle!

It tastes so much better.

I recomend 8th Continent vanilla light soy milk, it's the best one I've had.
#24 Old 10-05-2006, 12:24 PM

My kids love Very Vanilla from silk the best.

I would start giving them chocolate soymilk.

As for regular milk...I would start to pour off the top 1/4 of the milk carton and replace it with a non-dairy replacement. After a few weeks do a little more and then a little more. If they say anything act like you didn't hear them

We normally have 3-4 different milks in our fridge. I stock up when they are on sale. My kids choose different ones for different things. They will tell me they hate rice milk, but if I put soy milk in there, too I catch them drinking both. I have no idea why.

I like unsweetned unflavored silk in the green cartons for myself. But, I had to work up to that. I thought it was horrid when I first had it.
#25 Old 10-05-2006, 07:48 PM

My son didn't like soy milk at first. After breastfeeding for two years and then switching to organic juices and water, he just didn't care for it, not even the chocolate. For him I started buying "Yeo's" (it's in a yellow can, from asian supermarkets. He really liked that and then the switch to regular carton kind was a lot easier. We don't drink Yeos much, but when we do it's a special drink and it helped convince him to try it!!! I also since he was only two mixed it about half water b/c it's so sweet! It is really cheap too, you can buy a case for like $5 , where I live!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page