feeding a sick kid - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

ok, so we all had the yucky stomach virus (my hubby, daughter, and I) I won't go into details, but I think it was a little traumatic for my daughter being in that it is the first she has been sick. heck, my diaphragm still hurts. anyway, we were over it in about 24-48hrs. it has been almost a week and all my daughter will do is drink water. no food. she threw up the bananas she was (only) eating the third day in, and now she won't eat anything. I took her to the ped and he said that I just need to get her to eat and the watery bm's will go away and she will get her energy back. but, my question would be..how do you do that? I feel like that, you can lead a horse to water saying. I can put her in the chair to eat, but she just stares at me. I feel so bad for her. I actually miss my full of energy crazy little one..and I want her back! not this lump that just sits on the sofa and I don't know how to help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Banned

oh, dear. poor babe! um.... could you start with watered down fruit juices, then make really really thin and well blended soups (with a good veggie stock so at least there is some nutirents in them!), and thin fruit smoothies, and offer them as a drink, gradually making them thicker over the course of a week or so? then move up to creamy mashed potato and rice pudding and fruit puree and things like that, till she gets used to the idea and looses the fear of throwing it up again?

does she have a favourite soft cookie type that you could make into 'gloop with some milk, or could you revert to rusks and milk for a bit? i loved rusks as a kid, and cos they melt in your mouth- not too scary! melted icecream and sorbet might work too?

you can get electrolyte powders to mix into water- that would be a good idea, might perk her up a bit, and support her body while it gets better, definately more so than plain water.
#3 Old 09-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry you guys have been ill that sucks.....would she eat apple sauce?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

she won't take anything from me on a spoon. i did find that she was just filling up on the water so as not to eat, so i offered the food first, and when she realized that the water wasn't coming, she ate some toast! hooray! and then this morning she has some dry cereal. not back to my kiddo who would eat anything, but maybe soon I will try some of your suggestions to see if they help thicken the bm's. thanks guys!
#5 Old 09-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

How old is she?

I give my kids a nice hearty veggie broth to drink, it is reasonably heavy on the onions compaired to what I normaly make but onions have an anti bacterial and anti microbial effect, no idea how well it does in the human body but grandmothers have sworn by it forever.

I make the broth out of carrots, leeks,onions( skins and all),celery,celery leaves, garlic, potatos and sweet potatos and some parsley.

Just simmer it all in a crock pot over night and strain all the solids out leaveing just the broth which I tend to simmer down to make it stronger.

They drink it up without problems and as they start feeling better I add a veggie or a noodles to it gradualy so they get used to eating solid foods again.
#6 Old 09-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

she's 1....I'll definitely write that one down for future use.
#7 Old 09-12-2006, 02:14 PM

When kids have an upset tummy yoy should give them the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing!
#8 Old 09-12-2006, 02:15 PM

When kids have an upset tummy yoy should give them the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing!
#9 Old 09-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

While sick: rice water and barley water (the water you have boiled the cereal in) are very good to stop diarrhea, and the barley also has a calming effect. Rice contains some form of starch (use white rice for a maximal starchy effect) which stops the runny poop.

When recovering : she's apparently recovering/recovered now but I was going to mention broth too (lots of mineral salts) and rice crackers (most kids I know, including mine, just love these and they're highly digestible for a still wobbly little tummy). As she grows older, you could also add barley or rice directly in the broth.
#10 Old 09-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks! she is tons better, and almost 100% back to eating everything she did before. I do appreciate the suggestions. She is our first..and these are good things to keep in mind, not only for her, but for the next child(ren) too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page