How do you get your toddlers to eat veggies? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

My almost 2 year old spits them out as soon as they enter her mouth. Even if I try to hide it in a food she likes she will still spit it out.

What to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Beginner

Storm Talifero calls his kids "fruit bats"...they don't care for most veggies and thrive well off a mostly fruit diet. He recently had them checked out by a doctor and they were very healthy.

www.thegardendiet.com

One thing I do is make "Green Smoothies" - it is a regular fruit smoothie (fresh squeezed OJ, bananas, frozen strawberries and mangoes or peaches) but I throw in a handful of greens, usually spinach because it is so mild. It is not a huge amount, but better than no greens at all.

My children also like carrots, jicama (peel and slice into sticks), and they'll eat celery with some kind of nut butter on it.

I personally think greens are the most nutrient rich of all the veggies, if you can get your little one to eat plain fresh greens (no dressing necessary), that'd be a good thing. (I often see toddlers trying to eat flowers and plants, so I think greens would probably be easier anyway).

Good luck!
#3 Old 04-20-2006, 04:20 PM

my son went through a stage like that--now he has a select few that he eats...still not too keen on fruit...i think it has a lot to do with texture...anyway, try letting her pick something out at the store, let her help you wash it, etc--it helps when they've been involved in it...also, when my son was really going for days with no veggies, i would sneak V8 into pasta sauce, pizza, soups, etc (anything red) and he never noticed--of course that's not as good as fresh veggies, but it was something....most likely she'll grow out of it, though...good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-20-2006, 04:26 PM

I like the V8 idea
#5 Old 04-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

My oldest I never had issue with that because I did not introduce her to fruits until she was nearly two, before that it was all veggies and whole grains.

Her little sister however is a differant story daddy liked to dip her bink into soda and give it to her.

She still will not eat veggies
#6 Old 04-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

It really doesn't matter *when you introduce veggies. Toddlers could be eating them just fine and suddenly decide they no longer want to eat them. lol Trust me, I know the feeling.

Does she eat pasta? Puree the veggies up in the sauce. How about bread? I make cornbread for my kids that has VERY small pieces of veggies in it, they never notice. Sometimes if you make them attractive (smiley faces on the plate) or if you make them fun (Carrot sticks that she can stack before eating) they seem more appealing. Have you tried soup? Small enough pieces in soups just mush up like noodles and they don't notice. Try reading green eggs and ham and remind her of Sam I Am and how much the main character (does he even have a name?? lol) thought he wouldn't like it either.

Most of all do NOT make it a struggle. The minute you start pushing her, she'll try harder to assert her independence. Honestly while most toddlers are unreasonable about food 97% of them get a little more reasonable with time.

Our policy (my youngest is 2 but pretty good about veggies) is if you don't want dinner it's a sandwich. Trust me they get tired of a sandwich every single night and eventually give the dinner a try.

Good luck!

Mary
#7 Old 04-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried offering dips like ranch dressing (tofu ranch would be great!) for her to dunk her veggies in? Maybe just lightly steamed so they're not so tough to chew on, but still crunchy. I've read that you have to offer toddlers the same food over 10 times before they'll actually try it, so I'm sure it'll do no harm to just keep putting it on her plate and let her decide for herself when she wants to pick it up.

Pureeing cooked veggies into other things is a great idea too. You can hide just about anything in pasta sauce!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 04-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

My 4 year old son goes through phases with his vegetables. He will sometimes beg to have a salad for dinner. Or he'll insist he hates salad and always has hated it. Hehe...I laugh now...but at dinner time, it's not quite so funny..

We go through a lot of Naked Juice - Green Machine - around here. It's a quick and easy way to get lots of vitamins and minerals in him.
#9 Old 04-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

My girls loved fruits and loved raw veggies best. They liked the crispiness of them and would also eat them with peanut butter dip.
#10 Old 04-21-2006, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

My 4 year old son goes through phases with his vegetables. He will sometimes beg to have a salad for dinner. Or he'll insist he hates salad and always has hated it.

My 5 year olds do the same thing. One night they'll eat stuffed mushroom caps and the next they'll be picking chopped mushrooms out of the pasta dish saying they hate mushrooms now and they're tummies say they *have to come out. Go figure!

I second the dip thing. My boys always seem more interested in things on our plate too. My husband has gotten our two year old to try most things he turns his nose up at on his own plate by "accidently" leaving his plate close enough for Donny to steal a piece off of. Sometimes he makes a big deal about a certain veggie that Don shuns and when he shows interest will share some off of his plate with him. I tell you 98% of the time he gobbles it down like it's candy. lol

Mary
#11 Old 04-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone. A lot of good advice here.
#12 Old 04-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Beginner

I'm lucky I haven't had any issues in fact that is often what she reaches for first and has been known to pass up cookies for veggies.

I think a lot was a started her on diced veggies straight after baby foods. She really wasn't on baby foods that long. She didn't seem too interested in baby foods and didn't each much of them until about 8 months. She had her first at 6 months and it wasn't even a daily thing let alone 3 times a day until 8 months. A few months later she was reaching at our food so I gave her some diced veggies. I think the taste was just aquired. I myself love veggies too.

Wanted to add that my dd LOVES LOVES LOVES the new V8 fusion juice. I give it to fill in when she has a lower veggie day. Its a full serving of fruit and full serving of veggies BOTH per 8 oz. I serve it throughout the day highly diluted with water around 50/50.
#13 Old 04-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I tell my son it will make him strong.
#14 Old 05-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Whatever you do, don't push the issue! I think 2 year-olds, by nature, will resist doing something just because somebody is trying to make them do it!

At our house, we try to make sure everything on the table is a healthy, whole food. From there, it's all up to the kids, they can take whatever they want, skip whatever they want, and eat how much or how little they want. What I won't do is get up and bring them an alternative from the kitchen. My 2 1/2 year old likes most vegetables, but his tastes definitely vary from one day to the next. Last week we were having spaghetti and he ate 3 mounds of broccoli and skipped the spaghetti. The week before that, he wouldn't touch the broccoli. As long as veggies are consistently offered, and they see you enjoying them, then you're doing your job, IMHO.

Becky
#15 Old 05-09-2006, 08:18 AM

I guess I'm pretty lucky. My kids (7 and 2) will eat any vegetable I throw at them..they'll even eat mushrooms.

I think the biggest thing that helps is getting them involved. Let them pick out a veggie at the store to eat..better yet help them grow some veggies to eat. Let them help prepare and cook the veggies and they'll be more likely to eat something they cooked themselves.

I never discourage any food or show my own dislike for food. I tell them they must try bites of it at every meal because they just might like it this time. Studies have shown that it can take 21 times trying a food before a taste develops for it.
#16 Old 05-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

We have a one bite rule. Whether you've tried it before or not. Because sometimes what was gross last week, is just fine and delicious this week. I also lie through my teeth. Ok, not really. But I make up a black bean dip with garlic and artichokes. If I say the word "artichoke" my kids immediately start to gag. So we call it "super purple dip" and suddenly it's the best thing in the world.

I find good dips to be really helpful also. And the sooner you can get your child involved in food choices the better. We have much more variety due to what I call the "farmer's market effect". The boys will go and I give them money to pick out something new. And then we find a recipe for it.
#17 Old 05-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

My 3 year old ate a big bowl of bean sprouts with dinner tonight.
#18 Old 05-11-2006, 02:25 PM

We mastered the art of reverse psychology, tricked the heck out of them, and to this day my kids are the only ones I even know about who eat basically everything....

Here are my hopefully helpful hints..

Start out with lots and lots and lots of praise for choosing something you want them to eat. Makes them really proud, and chances are, they will repeat that behavior.

Never dictate what they put in their mouths. Never make them finish anything they don't like. That is the best and quickest way to get them to turn mealtime into power struggle time and prevent them from ever wanting to try new foods, because they will always be afraid, that if they don't like it, you will still force them to eat it (think about it, grownups would hate that too... think about someone forcing you to chew on a chicken leg.... YUCK). Be silly. When you set the table, and would like them to have a vegetable, tell them, they can't have it. Make the vegetable cry big sad veggie tears for not being allowed in a cute little kids mouth, take the veggie from your kids plates, and pretent to eat it, have the veggie plead to be put in a kids mouth and not in a stinky grown up mouth with huge teeth.... I tell ya, so far, it has worked on all kids I know, even the ones who don't eat anything at home. As soon as kids come to my house, we explain the house rules to them "You never have to eat or try anything you don't like, and you never have to finish your plate". Once kids understand that concept, they will even try new foods, just to please me, and get a round of applause from all my family members for being courageous enough to try. Make it fun, make it silly, and I promise that the only foods your kids will not eat are actually the ones they really find distasteful ( for us it is mushrooms for one kids, and peas for the other).

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page