Vegan Kids and TV - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 04-24-2006, 05:49 PM

I think that's kind of weird. . . since it's not what I said, at all. But, OK, whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't take the comment that way at all. I have also had conversations with my friends about cartoons we watched as kids (go AstroBoy!!). It doesn't mean you have nothing else to talk about - it's just something you have in common with other people. Like the books you've read, the things you've done, or the movies you've watched.

I don't think kids should be allowed to watch an unlimited amount of TV, but small doses of it as they get older isn't going to hurt them. Even though I rarely watch TV, I still do watch some of it (Lost, anyone??) and enjoy it when I do. Doesn't mean I don't do anything else..
#33 Old 04-24-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post

Haha, I remember growing up as a vegetarian child, the cartoon on Nickelodeon 'Doug' made me really want to try liver & onions. My mother told me not to be so stupid.

I totally would've made you some vegan liver and onions

I'm still young, but I probably won't even have a tv in my house.

The kid would only watch cartoons anyway, not hard hitting news reports. They won't miss out on anything important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-01-2006, 10:40 PM

My mom just always reminded me that what I saw on TV was not real. It was just ficition. Like playing pretended. But I didn't really watch a lot of TV growing up. I still don't. I'd liked playing outdoors more. I still do. Try to teach them the difference between reality and fiction (it'll come in handy when they discover MTV) and not allow so much TV time. At least, that's what I plan to do. Someday.
#35 Old 05-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes the babysitters at my gym will put the TV on for kids who want to watch it. My two will be playing away, not even playing attention to it while the others sit in their chairs like drones.
#36 Old 05-04-2006, 12:24 PM

My three boys (14, 9 and 6) watch maybe an hour to 90 minutes of tv most days and they can actually be seen commenting on ads in a very enlightened way. They are sure to make a comment about McDonald's propaganda when an ad is on... but then again they were the ones who decided that we should be vegans after a few years of vegetarianism.

They have a few shows that they follow, like Magic School Bus and George Shrink but they mostly watch Animal Planet, Discovery Kids and such.

So not all is bad on tv and I always check that there is "quality" in what they watch but they are very discerning by themselves too.

I agree that tv time should be limited for reasons Bethanie already listed.
#37 Old 05-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty Johann View Post

My reasoning is: vegan childen are just plain better than everyone else, and therefore they can do whatever they want.

ROFLMAO. I like that reasoning!

My son watches TV, he's 3 1/2. But he also knows that "we dont eat meat" and when we see McDonalds/Burger King/KFC on TV, we both go "eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww". Then I ask him if he eats meat. Sometimes he says yes, sarcastically, but most of the time he goes "Nope!" and says "Animals are my friend!" Cause he has a t-shirt that has the George Bernard Shaw quote on it.
#38 Old 05-11-2006, 09:54 PM

This is a really good question! In my opinion, to a certain degree we as parents will always filter out a whole bunch of stuff we don't want our kids to see on TV (crime shows, blood and guts, for some people MTV). The best we can do is to realize there is a whole world of choices and influences out there that our kids will all come in contact with. We simply cannot lock them up and demand them to live according to our personal standards. But we can talk to them, explain to them, give them our opinion and listen to theirs. If you are not only preaching to your children, but give them room to express their opinions as well, you will find that discussing things like the meat pushers and other influences can be a very good tool to make them realize what they are watching, and why the industry does it. Years back, my girls would want everything on TV commercials, (Disney channel is just horrid for kids, hahah). I took the time to show them on a few commercials how the products are being marketed, the age group being targeted, how the people behind the commerical are very intelligent and tricky, and also explained to the kids the business idea behind it all. I had them try to market their own little ideas, write out a plan of who they would like to sell to, how they would try to attract their customers etc. It really hit home. The were really upset to see how they were being played as kids by the people wanting them to spend their allowance on junk food and plastic toys etc. Since then, they are much less inclined to pay attention to the commercials, unless there is a fun song they like to sing along to. And I think it has given them another tool to make independent decisions, when Mom is not there to talk them out of it....
#39 Old 05-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

As weird as it sounds, TIVO might help. First, it lets you watch what you want when you want (which is cool). And second, you can fast-forward through the commercials, which is great for lots of reasons.
#40 Old 06-09-2006, 11:03 AM

As with any non-mainstream lifestyle or religion, children will be exposed to other ideas and other lifestyles from a very young age. Rather than trying to shield them from the world, parents should encourage them to question what they observe and guide them to reaching their own conclusions. When I have children of my own, I don't want them to feel like I forced my lifestyle or views upon them, because then they will probably rebel against it later.
#41 Old 06-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I let my kids watch a little of the Noggin channel each day. I love this channel because the shows are nice, educational, and best of all there are NO commercials, NO commercials.........LOVE that!!
#42 Old 06-10-2006, 11:04 AM

no commercials? that's great! commercials are the worst part of television...we don't have cable, but i will keep noggin in mind if we do get it and when we are visiting inlaws in a few weeks...
#43 Old 06-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Beginner

There is a program on sattelite now called developemental programs for babies, and is is a 24 hour educational channel for not only babies, but children up to two years old. And Noggin is a great channel for the toddler set.
#44 Old 06-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotto08 View Post

There is a program on sattelite now called developemental programs for babies, and is is a 24 hour educational channel for not only babies, but children up to two years old. And Noggin is a great channel for the toddler set.

There's a lot of research showing that TV viewing is not good for an infant's developing eyes and that children shouldn't watch TV until age two. I've heard that doctors generally agree that infants get nothing out of supposedly "educational" programs for babies, and that they can actually do harm.
#45 Old 06-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

There's a lot of research showing that TV viewing is not good for an infant's developing eyes and that children shouldn't watch TV until age two. I've heard that doctors generally agree that infants get nothing out of supposedly "educational" programs for babies, and that they can actually do harm.

serious? oh crud! I've been letting ellioitt watch baby einstein
#46 Old 06-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What eggplant said x1000.
#47 Old 06-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I wasn't saying that t.v. was great for children, but if people do let their kids watch t.v., these programs would be better than, say, The McDonalds cartoon (I'm serious, they do have one). Plus, these channels don't have any commercials, so there would be less chance of young children being exposed to fast food commercials with happy children in them 24/7.
#48 Old 06-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I watched baby einstien and it caused me -tue rite liyke dis.-

>.>
#49 Old 06-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

I watched baby einstien and it caused me -tue rite liyke dis.-

>.>

lyyykewize
#50 Old 06-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I was a late 80s Sesame Street kid, and I was reading at 4.

That does not, however, mean that I trust Sesame Street today.
#51 Old 06-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaraluna View Post

I was a late 80s Sesame Street kid, and I was reading at 4.

That does not, however, mean that I trust Sesame Street today.

I was an early reader, too (I taught myself at the age of 4). I had very limited access to TV. This was pre-cable. We got 3 channels on a good day. The pickings were slim at best. Even later, when I watched far more TV, I always read at the same time. My daughter does the same thing-she watches "Storm Stories" a few nights a week, but always has a book in her lap at the same time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page