allergies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

ok, i guess it is just a vent. the inlaws were here this weekend. so I made cookies. peanut butter cookies. and my daughter broke out into hives. all over her back and she was just wailing. i felt like an idiot. after milk and soy being such a huge issue, how could i have done that?! so, now we have to get all the nut products out of the house. she is also now really into finger foods. not mushy fruit, but hard like cheerios. and i am at a loss as to what to give her bc everything contains soy and/or dairy. even saltines have soy! and forget anything gerber (like the pediatrician recommended) we've never even been near their stuff bc they have soy in their plant. my mum gave her some of their food once and her poor face hived and swelled and her eye started draining.. i'm guessing just to go thru all the fruits and veggies she can currently eat and see which she likes to pick up and feed herself. nix on carrots. i just also worry about what to give her once she is one and off formula. no soy milk and they say no rice milk til 5yrs. *sigh* sorry for the vent. just sometimes its so hard and i just don't know anyone else w/these problems. thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

sararie...I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Kids and allergies are tough. One of the families I worked with recently recommended this site highly: http://www.foodallergy.org/. They have a son with severe nut allergies and were able to get good information, and hook up with some other families.

re: rice milk..I've not heard that in conjuction with soy allergies..are the docs suggesting to avoid rice altogether?

You could try adding some cooked black beans/lentils/pinto beans, etc. into her diet. A lot of toddlers even really like lima beans ((shudder)). If wheat's not on the no-no list, you could offer some pasta. Don't worry too much though, if she's still nursing (how old is your little one?), then she's getting most all of what she needs from your milk anyway.

There *are* a lot of convenience foods that are soy free. It's just a matter of finding out which ones they are.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 04-11-2006, 12:46 AM

don't know if this will help, but worth a shot--ALLERY RESOURCE 719-488-3630 (in CO)...best of luck--wish i could be of more help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-14-2006, 10:06 PM

Hi there, my 3 yo and my 18 mo are both dairy and soy allergic (amongst other things). With my 3 yo he nursed until 18 months, and then (following our nutritionists advice) we gave him rice milk, but we also made sure he had extra dietary protein and we had to put oil or margarine on EVERYTHING he ate to make sure he got enough fat... it was disgusting, but apparently healthy for him. The nutritionist also said that if he didn't eat enough protein, and didn't like the extra fats we'd added to his food that we could give him formula to drink (although the dairy-free, soy-free stuff is SO expensive). I'm just now facing the same thing with my 18 mo as she's started to cut down on nursing as well. I suggest getting a referal to a nutritionist (we saw one at the local children's hospital) for some help on what to feed your little one.

BTW, you said that she reacted to peanut butter cookies, and now you had to get rid of all the nut products, but that's not true. Peanuts are legumes (we have the peanut allergies too) not nuts. So unless you know for a fact that she reacts to nuts (like almonds or walnuts or wahtever), you only have to get rid of foods with peanuts.

Oh yah, and as for what she eats (fruits, veggies, rice, bread, pasta, and cooked & mushed beans, like lentils, chick peas, black beans etc.) Hope this helps.

-SM
#5 Old 04-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

QUINOA!!!! yeah, I think that's my best attempt at helping. ^_^

maybe make it up, put in a lil olive oil margarine (probably the least reactive, but you might ask the pediatrician about the best "butter" replacement) and a lil bit of sugar/maple sugar/your preference sweetener .

Quinoa might not have all the nutrients, but in just about the right amounts it has complex carbs, complete proteins, and healthy fats.

It would be a beneficial staple in her diet, if nothing else. It's a type of sprouty seed.

Also, is she OK for almonds? Could you try almond milk? The best blend is Pacific Breeze(?) original or vanilla. Although, you might be able to make it fresh at home and not worry about cross-contamination that way (they have recipes for almond milk in the recipe section).

Hope this helps some? If you find veggies she's safe with, you'd be able to sautee them up and add them to the quinoa with a lil mild [tomato/whatever veggie she's ok with] salsa.

If fat intake becomes an issue (if she's not getting much), try avocado/coconut (careful with coconut, cuz it does still cause allergic reactions. In fact, it's the only thing I'm allergic to that gives me hives):

You could probably best discuss things with the pediatrician, and if he's not helpful, maybe a local nutritionist/naturalist/herbalist (certified/licensed, at least, though).
#6 Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I will ask about the referral to a nutritionist. we just live in a very small town and i'm not even sure if we have one. as far as our ped, he is a nice guy, but i seem to make more of the suggestions so far as to what to do/give her than anything else. I know that a lot of margarines contain soy oil, so I wonder if I could just stick w/the avocado banana mix she likes for breakfast. I know how expensive the formula is. I tried BF my daughter, but by the second week, we had no idea what was causing her issues, so my mum and I just started rifling thru formulas. we ended up on soy for about a week before i looked online to find out what the problem was. no doc was able to help me at that point and after two trips to the ER, I didn't want to play around anymore. we had quickly eliminated milk, but had no idea about the soy until i looked it up online. i was at the grocery store at 3am buying new formula and it was like magic. all the hives and oozing and wheezing and screaming and not breathing bouts in the middle of the nite went away. at that point she was allready 5wks old. she has actually started to sleep w/in the past few weeks (nice at seven months) and i think it is due to the more "real" food we give, the less she has of whatever little bit in the formula may be bugging her. I do regret not being able to BF her, but I didn't understand at the time that what i was eating was bothering her too. how do I handle that with the next one (due halloween)?? do I have to eliminate all those allergens from my diet? I don't know about other nuts yet. we only have a jar of peanut butter in the house, though I did purchase some almond butter and we'll see soon how that goes. It just seems that sometimes she breaks out in hives and we don't even know what for, and that is so hard. I will definitely try the quinoa (glad I have some from special order in the pantry) I don't want to be paranoid about what she eats, but visiting family is insane. i have to check all the boxes and some people just don't understand that, no, she can't eat that unless you want her to swell and scream all nite. even carrots are a no-no for now. I just appreciate any help/advice you all can give. noone in the family has this issue and I sometimes feel all alone, like there is noone else to talk to.
#7 Old 04-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

ok...so this child is under 1? She should not be eating nuts(almonds) if she has food allergy problems. Nuts(tree nuts, peanuts, etc) aren't suggested for any children under 2.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutriti...n/feed47m.html Under foods to avoid for now.
#8 Old 04-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't give her nuts, we just made the cookies and she busted out in hives all over. I wouldn't give any small child PB or nuts. I've worked with children too long w/these allergies that I just should have known better than to keep it in the house. I don't even put nuts in food I make for social events just in case someone there has an allergy. I am just looking at almond butter as an alternative for myself and hope that she won't have a reaction when i open the jar.
#9 Old 04-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Banned

Don't beat your self up. Parenting is such a slip and learn situation. You find yourself having to mark a lot of things up to experience or you get so depressed with yourself. Now I ask you, if you are riddled with remorse and depression, how much good are you going to be for that cutie? Live and learn, and go on.

When my guys were little they had a lot of allergies. We started rice products early at the doctor's direction. Now this was 20 years ago, but it was a peaceful addition to their diet.
#10 Old 04-17-2006, 11:31 PM

My best friend's daughter was allergic to everything as a baby and she ate *a lot* of rice cakes (Lundberg brand from the HFS) and garbanzo beans.

Allergies suck.
#11 Old 04-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I was addressing the post where someone suggested you try almond milk.

ETA: want to clarify this post. If peanut butter cookies being made in the house set her off. I'd be wary about bringing in any other nut products at all. I'd be especially wary about making nut milk. Allergens can be such tricky things (I would know as I it seems I am allergic to EVERYTHING). They can get into the air, on your skin, onto surfaces and you don't realize it.
#12 Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

It was just nice to hear that someone was able to use rice milk earlier than age five. I just packed up all my nut products (and anything else she can't have besides the milk in the fridge) and it's waiting for my mum to take it home with her once she gets out here to visit. any "baby" food that sets her off goes to my sis-in-law for her baby due june. I guess I just sometimes feel foolish for not realizing things. I've just been asking advice from people to see that she does get all that she can (I won't be able to see everything that is available to her, esp not knowing personally any other people in this situation) and she is so delightful. such a happy smart little gal. allready standing with minimal help and just nosy as all. we started the rice and other foods early too bc of the allergies. they think that their may still be something in the formula that bugs her, but not really knowing what it is, they said to just keep weaning her down to the minimum (she's at 40oz a day still, though) and three meals a day w/snacks. she picks up food very well by herself and wants to spoon feed herself too. so breakfast is usually fruit and oatmeal (fed by me) and cheerios (bc she loves to pick them up) lunch is sweet potatoes cut up or green beans so she can pick them up w/these soy free teddies i found in dallas that have lots of iron. then dinner is a veg and rice/mixed cereal and some kix or a cookie to pick up. she's very hands on so i keep trying to find small things for her to pick up. she isn't quite into picking up fruit yet bc it's too squishy. she will nibble pieces off an apple or pear slice (supervised always of course) she even holds her own sippy cup w/water. I have a separate sponge that I wash all her stuff with. and she has her own detergent and special lotions and soap. even cloth diapers bc disposables make her break out too. it was just sad to see her break out after getting baptised bc of the oil catholics use. oh, the screaming! one of the other reasons she won't be immunized. don't need a reaction to that egg filled MMR. i don't mean to talk like i am beating a dead horse here, it's is just nice to hear things that have worked for people instead of all the books and labels w/ the no she can't have it's. i try not to worry about things too far off like next easter when family starts sending her all that easter junk she can't eat. and i was happy enough to find that choc cake recipe here that i can actually make her on her birthday.
#13 Old 04-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel really bad for kids with allergies. I was(am still allergic) one of them. I did grow out of the nut allergy though. If you didn't want people to tell you what not to give her than maybe you should say that in your original post. I would have laid off and not responded to the almond post at all. I am not trying to be mean. I am one of those kids, I hate to see kids suffer. At any moment those hives can go to aniphylaxis and that is a scary. I've had it happen(epi pen saved my life). I just felt, having experience with tons of allergies, that the almond advice was not very sound. Not that I am a doctor, but I am sure my allergist would agree. Especially, considering all the issues your daughter has.

As far as next easter or any holiday where she might be given something by someone else. Communication is the key. Let them know that she has allergy issues and that you would appreciate it if they didn't send food items. If they are family, then they should understand especially if you stress that it isn't to insult them, it is for the safety of your daughter.

As far as telling you what worked for me, I don't remember. I am old. I do know I drank a fair amount of homemade rice milk as a child (usually mixed with a fat, like avocados.)
#14 Old 04-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't take offense to any sound advice and I didn't mean to sound rude. I like to hear personal experiences.. it's not that I don't want to not hear it, just I do get a little tired of it sometimes. and it seems that not always what one person says is what someone else agrees with (even docs) To him she is just, as he put it, one of those sensitive kids. sux he's the only one in town. I know her entire next couple of years will be trial and error to see what works and what doesn't. it just pains me to have given her something that did more harm than good.

well, since you were (are) an allergic child, did you grow up hearing "no you can't have that" alot? I don't want her to think that there are all these great things that she can't have. I would like to put it to her that the foods she can eat are the good foods for her.

did you have any sibs? did they get to eat things that you could not? again, I've never been in a familial way with this issue before. growing up, all five of us kids ate the same things, so I would like to do the same if at all possible. I'd rather not keep five different types of milk in the fridge and have one of them (or my hubby) get confused. esp if the next one doesn't have any issues.

I don't mind the rice milk, though I have seen kids eat their cereal w/OJ. I just know I will miss cheese. but she does love avocadoes. it was one of her first foods.
#15 Old 04-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I also grew up in a small town. We had visiting doctors...heh. They didn't even live there. I did grow up hearing "you can't have that" sometimes. But, I got used to it. I got so that I knew pretty much what I could have and what I couldn't have. I also knew that if there was any question at all, that I shouldn't have it. But, that all takes learning. I did eat differently than the rest of my family. We all had issues to some degree, none as bad as me though. I didn't mind so much. I liked different foods than they did. Mealtimes were always the same for everyone,though. It was the snacks and stuff where we differed more. We only had two kinds of "milk". Now in my house (all grown up), we do a variety of milks (my kids are all over 7 and there's no nut allergies) rice, multigrain, limited soy, etc. It's not a big deal. All of my kids aren't allergic to dairy like I am(1 is), but we don't consume dairy products. They are used to it and it doesn't bother them. If it did, I'd know about it.
#16 Old 04-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

how about hummus....I dunno how allergic she is, but above someone mentioned garbanzo beans, which along with tahini (sesame seed paste) make a great dip that is very versatile. ^_^ If her body agrees with it, it's a complete protein, so she'll at least get protein...then the quinoa, and kiddie vitamins.
#17 Old 04-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

it may seem extreme, but i highly recommend finding a city and finding someone who is an experienced traditional chinese medicine doctor or an ayurvedic doctor.

both of these traditional forms of medicine have ways of managing food allergies--even curing them in some or many cases. often, it requires a trip to china or india. but, i know it works.

one of my aquaintances had a son who was allergic to everything. He was allergic to nuts, eggs, dairy, soy, gluten, many fruits (mostly berries) and vegetables. he could manage rice, small amounts of breast milk, and a few fruits and veggies (which his mom steamed and pureed into baby food--you can make your own baby food).

She took him to an ayurvedic doctor who was visiting from india. she heard about the doctor through an indian woman in her yoga class. my acquaintance was talking to another student in the class about her son's allergies and how he was now loosing weight and showing signs of malnutrition. the woman overhead and recommended that she make an appointment with the visiting doctor.

in ayurvedic medicine, allergies are not issues of the immune system (though that's where the symptoms come from), but rather issues of the ability to assimilate nutrients from certain sources. Thus, the solution is to reset the body so that it can assimilate, rather than avoiding foods and fighting the immune response.

when my acquaintance took her son, the doctor gave him a good examination and history. he then recommended that she come to india--to his clinic and hospital where he could treat her son because everything needed was more readily available there. She made arrangements to take her kid to india for the 6 weeks that the doctor recommended. The doctor also noted that she had assimilation issues and wanted to treat her as well.

She arrived in india very nervous, but willing to try anything because of her sons increasingly failing health. she said that the first three days were the hardest because both she and her son only consumed clean water at room temperature and specialized herbal teas at room temperature. They also had specialized massage sessions (with special techniques, oils, and herbs), plenty of rest, and yoga (since her son was under 3, it was fully assisted yoga, more like thai yoga massage).

Then, on the third day, both she and her son were given herbal supplements (she doesn't know what) and food was reintroduced. Raw (unpasturized), fresh organic milk was given--and her son had no reaction. Then, they introduced vegetables, then fruits, then legumes, then nuts and seeds, and then grains. Each item was introduced after a few days. So it was a few days of just raw milk (room temp), then after a few day, raw milk with vegetables. then raw milk with vegetables and fruits. you get the idea? foods were introduced systematicly because according to ayurveda, allergies are caused when the body is not prepared to accept a certain food--and yet we introduce it anyway. Most kids in the west are given grains first (milk, then grains) before anything else in the form of cereals. But in ayurveda, these should be given last, and they should be given in a sprouted, soaked (buttermilk or lacto-fermented) forms rather than the processing that we do in the west. The regimen of massages and yoga also continued.

When she left india and returned to the US, her son had NO food allergies. if she keeps him sugar free (no white sugar) and on whole, natural foods (they're omnivorous, but he's lacto-vegetarian using ayurvedic principles), he has no reactions. when chemicals are added--processed foods and such--he begins to have reactions to those elements and develop intolerances toward 'normal' foods.

I believe that it is possible to 'cure' kids of food allergies with the right process. i believe that a traditional chinese medical doctor or an ayurvedic doctor can help parents do this.

but, it takes a lot of work and a lot of money.
#18 Old 04-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope that it doesn't get that extreme. right now she is extremely healthy and a big girl at that. at her 6mth appt she was 29in and 20 1/2lbs. not little by any means, but she gets that from her daddy. she's so tall, we have her in 18mth clothes and they just sag around her middle bc she is lacking that baby tummy chub. the nearest "big" town we have is 4hrs away and I don't even know if they would have anyone we could talk to. I will definitely keep it in mind, though, if anything starts to go downhill. Thanks! I'm still hoping that she will grow out of some of these, but am just trying to prepare myself in case we have to deal with this her whole life. I will write down to try the hummus too. I keep a list of all that she can eat, and what we have to try (and when) on the refrigerator, so anyone who is to give her something has to look there first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page