realizing that he's a veggiekid... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Bay will turn 3 on March 7th.

He has been going to an in-home daycare (run by my best friend) full time, for about a month now.

He's the only vegetarian. So, his lunches usually look different then everyone elses. Therefore, there is usually some discussion amongst the kids about food, being vegetarian, eating animals, etc. The group is mostly boys. two almost 3 year olds, two 5 year olds, and one 6 year old (after school). There are two girls. A 4 year old and, after school, a 6 year old.

The other kids are always "watching" what he's eating to make sure there's no meat stuff on his plate. And sometimes, one or two of them will ask to have what he has as they like vegchick nuggets and garden burgers too.

The kids ask him a lot of questions about the whys of being a vegetarian and he's just starting to come up with his own answers. We've always just told him that we don't eat meat because in order to get the meat to eat you have to hurt animals and pull their skin off to get their meat... sounds harsh... but we've always told him that and he seems to understand... at least at this age he does. In fact, when he skins his knees or elbows (which happens daily!) he always points to the "raw" part and says "...look, there's my meat..."----

Well, the other day my babysitter totally flaked out for a moment and put actual chicken nuggets on his plate. A five year old immediatly yelled "NOOOO remember baylor doesn't eat that..." and she took them off and gave him his food. Which wasn't veg nuggets as she was out. He was bummed that he had something totally different the other kids and didn't eat anything for lunch. On the way home he told me that "... I wanted to have the chicken nuggets too..." and I reminded him that we don't eat that. And that a lot of chickens had to get hurt for those nuggets and that I would make sure to take over the tofu nuggets for him so he could have something LIKE the chicken nuggets without hurting animals. He was quite for a moment and then said "... Mommy, what if we just ate the BAD chickens...?" "... We could go find the mean ones and rip them up and make them into nuggets and that would be ok, right"

ummm mmmmm mmmm I had to gulp back a nervous giggle and then explain to him that it would be pretty hard to figure out which ones were mean and which ones were not mean. And that also, sometimes he himself was a meanie and I sure hoped that no one would think it was ok to eat him up like that just because he was being mean.

The next day at daycare Baylor told everyone at lunch time that "... he isn't going to accidently eat chicken or burgers or shrimps because he didn't have time to find the mean ones". lol.

Then, that night, he was bugging my old dog and the dog growled at him. He ran over to his daddy and said "... Ryley forgot and he wants to eat me because I'm being a meanie.... DADDDDDDY remind Ryley that you cannot eat someone just 'cause they're mean..."

anyway, sorry for babbling. But, we're always so amazed at his thought process on EVERYTHING, vegetarianism included!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2006, 03:35 PM

That's adorable.
#3 Old 02-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

What a sweetie! You did a great job giving him a smart answer when he put you on the spot. Gosh, it's just so phenomenal what little kids absorb and how readily they incorporate it into their thought processes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Banned

That's totally adorable. Great job fielding the questions!!! :-)
#5 Old 02-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

That's so cute, lol. I'm kinda worried about when I have children. I'll have to do alot of research on raising vegan children beforehand.
#6 Old 02-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Spot on!

Kids just get the whole veggie thing so much easier than adults!

I haven't had the kid wanting to eat meat isseu with my son (almost 5) ... yet.

He is going to kindergarten this year, and I'm bracing myself for the possibility of him wanting to try it.

A couple of days ago, he came into my little vegan store with his dad and saw his dad getting some chocolates and nougat to put in the party bags for his birthday party.

He kicked up a bit of a fuss, saying 'I don't want vegan stuff at the party! Not the vegan stuff!'

He is veggie like his dad and I'm vegan. I must say that was a little sad for me, but I guess he will go through these stages.

I think your explanation and support were great, much along the same lines as what I have discussed with my son.

Go veggie mum go!
#7 Old 02-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

it's hard to believe that he's almost 3 now.

it's cute though.
#8 Old 02-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Beginner

SO adorable! *sigh* enjoy their presence while you can....(I know everyone says this, but they DO grow up soooo fast...)
#9 Old 02-14-2006, 09:05 PM
ren
Beginner

That was such a cute story!! Poor little thing missing out on nuggets- it's nice when veggie kids can at least appear to be having the same hey?

I lvoe the bit where he thinks your dog might eat him for being mean!! Priceless! haha
#10 Old 02-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Darling story, Edamommy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebutterfly05 View Post

That's so cute, lol. I'm kinda worried about when I have children. I'll have to do alot of research on raising vegan children beforehand.

Why worried? It's really not some exact science that requires loads of in-depth research -just common sense and a good basic knowledge of what makes a "healthy" vegan diet. A willingness to be creative, have an open mind and instill in your kids the same compassion you have...
#11 Old 02-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Too cute
#12 Old 02-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Banned

"I lvoe the bit where he thinks your dog might eat him for being mean!! Priceless! haha"

There is nothing the slightest bit funny about the real possibility of being eaten, or severely bitten, or even slightly bitten, by a dog. It can and does happen, and dogs and children should not be housed together. It is just taking too much of a chance.

The child correctly read the dog's mind.
#13 Old 02-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

wow, soilman, that's a little harsh :/. i know that there's nothing to be taken lightly when it comes to a child being ibtten by a dog: my brother was bitten by a stranger's dog when he was 2. He's seven now. However, our dog at home is so protective of him that the possibility of her EATING him, is too funny.

besides, most house pets wouldn't eat their owners. that's funny!!
#14 Old 02-27-2006, 03:49 AM
ren
Beginner

Oh soilman... you poor thing. Being so serious must be a curse.

Having been 'housed' with dogs my entire life I guess I didn't really think the dog would bite anyone. As Libellula said, family dogs are normally very protective of children and I'm sure the growl just meant "Stop, I don't like it", not "I'm going to savagely bite you".

What I found great was that he had realised he was being mean to the dog, which is a great step in empathy, but he had projected his own thoughts about eating 'mean animals' and thought the dog might think the same.
#15 Old 02-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

"I lvoe the bit where he thinks your dog might eat him for being mean!! Priceless! haha"

There is nothing the slightest bit funny about the real possibility of being eaten, or severely bitten, or even slightly bitten, by a dog. It can and does happen, and dogs and children should not be housed together. It is just taking too much of a chance.

The child correctly read the dog's mind.

Are you serious? Well, on that note, there is a possibility that one human may endanger another... should we all be housed seperatly because of this? How about driving? Should we NOT drive as there is a chance we could crash? And, actually, I believe the chance of crashing in a car is greater then getting bit by your own dog. Oh, and this will really wet your whistle... the dog in question is a grumpy old man. He has been known to growl at strangers. He doesn't particularly like kids... yet I trust him (my best friend of almost 12 years) 100% with my child.

Sorry for being so adolescent about this but I'm offended that you would think my dogs dangerous to their own child! And that I would leave my child in a situation of danger w. an animal! I assure you- it's good clean fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page