Vegan Child Bowel Movements AKA Diaper Explosions! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-03-2006, 08:33 AM

I have no idea if anyone could answer this question but my 20-month old vegan twins occasionally (about one a month) have post-nap poos that literally explodes out of their diapers where they basically have to be hosed down. They eat very healthy (much healthier than me and my husband). Their diet is primarily whole foods, no refined sugar, no junk/convenience food and very high-fiber so I'm assuming the fiber is causing the adult-size poos.

Do any other vegan parents have similar experiences or could it be that my kids' diet might contain too much fiber?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Banned

My son at that age was fed lots of blended salads made with romaine lettuce, celery, carrots, sweet red pepper -- blended, but not overblended, in a blender. Plus he was still being nursed. He also had nutmilk, tofu, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat couscous, steamed vegetables such as brocolli, steamed potatoes (partly skinned). Lentils and carrots steamed together. Frozen peas, steamed. Squished. Small amounts of white beans. Fruits such as mango pieces cut up for him, peaches, apples. And banana. Very simple -- no spices in the potato, just a bit of olive oil or sunflower oil (widely available at that time). Plain brocolli - no spices or sauces. Kept things very simple until he was able to talk well enough to tell us what he wanted. He got nursed up until he was just about exactly 2. No matter what you gave him, he completely trusted it and would eat it. On the other hand, I never found him eating toys, paper, library paste, insects, screw drivers, books, crayons, candles, or other non-foods that other children have often been observed eating or trying to eat.

His poos seemed quite reasonable.

His diet was moderate fiber, acc to my definitiion of moderate. It would be higher than the "standard american" baby diet. Whole wheat, but not plain bran. Brown rice, but not rice polish. Brown rice is not really high fiber. It is really low fiber. Plain rice is close to Zero fiber.

Squishing peas is great fun. You don't take a bunch and squish them. You put whole peas in the baby's plate. Then you squish one, with your finger, and put it near the baby's mouth. Then you show baby how to squish peas herself. Then you gently say, no, no throwing peas, squish and eat, squish and eat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page