vegetarian pregnancy, any advice? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-20-2005, 12:08 PM

Hello all I am new to this board, new to being a vegetarian, and almost 4 months pregnant

I have been eating less and less meat through the past 2 years, and when I got pregnant... I became disgusted by meat and refused to eat it. I try to suppliment with lots of veggies, and soy products (soy milk esp)... but I want to make sure that I am doing this right.

How much soy should I take in for me and baby?

What other things might I be missing out by not eating meat?

Any advice or comments would be apprecaited I am new to ALL of this (vegetarian and pregnancy)

Thanks my veggie friends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Banned

Congratz

Read "Becoming Vegetarian" and "Becoming Vegan" (even if you aren't vegan, it has some great information on pregnacy). It will help a lot without overwhelming you.

But a quick summary would be: Eat lots of different foods. Take your prenatal vitamins. Watch your iron (eat lots of whole grains, green veggies, and beans), watch your calcium (eat lots of veggies, beans, some nuts, and soy), and get a good dose of omega-3 fatties in you every day (walnuts , uncooked flaxseed oil - which makes a great oil replacement in homemade salad dressing), and B12 (that'll be in your prenatals plus in nutritional yeast and your soy milk). And, rest, take your time, dont' stress, and don't worry if you cry when they give you the pillow at the maternity store
#3 Old 10-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you thought about seeing a nutritionist? I had to see one to learn to eat the right way when I was pregnant because I was diabetic. It made life alot easier knowing that I was following a meal plan designed by a professional then second guess what I should or should not be eating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-20-2005, 12:59 PM

I should have mentioned that I do:

1. eat certain fish on occasin (tuna/tilapia/salmon) and ...

2. sometimes (just sometimes if I get a craving) I will make an egg. But no red meat, chicken, pork or any of that sort. And...

3. no milk or icecream. The only dairy that I will eat is cheese... I just couldnt give that up

I am a mixed up "sorta" vegetarian I know. Thanks again in advance for any advice
#5 Old 10-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigs76 View Post

1. eat certain fish on occasin (tuna/tilapia/salmon) and ...

I second that you should see a nutritionist. Often Healthcare plans will allow you see one for a very small fee or even free when you are pregnant.

Also: you should avoid some fatty fish, especially fish that are high up the food chain like Salmon. At most, you should eat those fish once a month due to possible mercury contamination. You will see this advice confirmed by most mainstream Pregnancy books.
#6 Old 10-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations.

My wife and I had been vegetarian for a lot of years when we decided to have kids. She talked to her doctor, and read a book called “The Vegetarian Pregnancy”. During her first pregnancy she developed gestational diabetes at which time she consulted a nutritionist. If you’re new to vegetarianism it is certainly a good idea to talk to one early on.
#7 Old 10-20-2005, 03:12 PM

Sounds like my best bet is to seek out a nutritionist and read up more. I wanna make sure I'm doing everything right

thanks for all the input EVERYBODY
#8 Old 10-22-2005, 10:50 AM

vegetarians don't eat fish tigs sorry to be blunt but we don't. I respect your choice to eat it but people who eat fish and call themselves vegatarian make it more difficult for the rest of us.

Anyway I don't want to preach it's good that you are not eating red meat because it contains large amounts of vitamin A which can be harmful to a developing baby (that's why your midwife tells you not to eat liver uggg as if!!!)

I recommend you take a vitamin suppliment suitable for pregancy. Make sure you are eating lots of leafy vegatable full of folic acid and drink lots of plant milk. Just so long as you are eating a varied nutrious diet you will be fine. In the early stages of labour try and eat a small nutrious meal like beans on toast if you can and if you are hungry later and haven't been told to not eat eat, snack on nuts and dried fruit. Try and avoid peanuts if there is an alergy in yours or your baby's father's family.

Good Luck and congratulations.
#9 Old 10-22-2005, 10:52 AM

Sorry I was a bit hard on you with the whole fish thing there you are new to this so my apologies.
#10 Old 10-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessemma View Post

it's good that you are not eating red meat because it contains large amounts of vitamin A which can be harmful to a developing baby

Um, 1 lb of ground beef has a vitamin A count of 0% RDI. So it isn't all red meat.

Yes, liver has a lot of vitamin A in it, but so do carrots
#11 Old 10-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

congratulations tigs! i followed my vegetarian diet during my pregnancy not too long ago and all was well. i had to make sure i got plenty of protein. i have read that salmon, as well as tuna should be avoided. mercury...

there are lots of ways to get protein without solely relying on soy...good luck to you and stay healthy and rested.
#12 Old 10-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually, carrots contain beta carotene, the precursor to vitamin A. Our bodies convert this form as needed (although, there is some discussion that some people don't convert enough.) Animal foods contain retinol, which is preformed vitamin A. The latter form can be toxic, and even fatal, in large amounts, whereas beta carotene will not harm you... but it might turn you orange.
#13 Old 10-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazardbliss View Post

Actually, carrots contain beta carotene, the precursor to vitamin A. Our bodies convert this form as needed (although, there is some discussion that some people don't convert enough.) Animal foods contain retinol, which is preformed vitamin A. The latter form can be toxic, and even fatal, in large amounts, whereas beta carotene will not harm you... but it might turn you orange.

You take all the fun out of life Death by carrots sounds sooo cool
#14 Old 10-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

#15 Old 10-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

No seriously, you turn orange if you eat too many carrots. my husband was my MIL's first child, and the doctor told her that after basic grains, that the first veggies to be introduced should be carrots and sweet potatoes. He ate so much of this that he started to turn orange and she freaked! Of course, the doctor just laughed ;-) And I do too, imagining my hubbie a not-so-subtle shade of orange ;-)
#16 Old 10-31-2005, 12:44 PM

Thanks to everyone else who was so kind to reply NICELY to me. I sought out a nurtitionist who has helped me understand and chart my diet to better understand where and how I am getting my protein, etc. It was a nice suggestion from this board, and it really is helping me

To those "others", I am sorry I offended you by saying that I do eat fish on occasion..... like I said.... I am new to this, so therefore I guess I am somewhat ignorant. I just guess I would have said it nicer to someone if they came to me for "advice", had it been my choice. I have been eliminating certain "meats" bit by bit as I go along on my. I was just trying to find good information for me and my baby since I do not eat any "red" meats, pork, chicken. My question was not to offend or be repremanded... but only to be careful about how I was caring for my body during my pregnancy and try to find a place where I could learn more about vegetarianism and how to "deal" w/a new way of nutrition.

Sorry for any offense, I will take mysel off of this board since I am not a true vegetarian and never meant to make any "real" vegetarian's look "bad" or make things difficult on them. I take part in another board and have never been made to feel to ignorant, I feel very silly and out of place being here now.

Please excuse me. Thank you again for the kind words that were given, they have helped me in my continued travels into being pregnant and "trying" to be vegetarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessemma View Post

vegetarians don't eat fish tigs sorry to be blunt but we don't. I respect your choice to eat it but people who eat fish and call themselves vegatarian make it more difficult for the rest of us.

Anyway I don't want to preach it's good that you are not eating red meat because it contains large amounts of vitamin A which can be harmful to a developing baby (that's why your midwife tells you not to eat liver uggg as if!!!)

I recommend you take a vitamin suppliment suitable for pregancy. Make sure you are eating lots of leafy vegatable full of folic acid and drink lots of plant milk. Just so long as you are eating a varied nutrious diet you will be fine. In the early stages of labour try and eat a small nutrious meal like beans on toast if you can and if you are hungry later and haven't been told to not eat eat, snack on nuts and dried fruit. Try and avoid peanuts if there is an alergy in yours or your baby's father's family.

Good Luck and congratulations.

#17 Old 10-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

tigs: There are people on VB who are big on labels. Personally, I wasn't offended by your statement that you eat fish. The way I saw it, you are an ALMOST-vegetarian. I'm glad you went to a nutritionist who is helping you. When a vegetarian (or almost-vegetarian) becomes pregnant, the first thing she hears from a lot of people is to put back the meat/dairy/eggs/whatever into her diet because God Forbid a woman can't be pregnant and not eat that stuff! So I'm glad you're doing well.

Also, I see no reason for you to leave veggieboards. IMO, I haven't seen anything in your posts that could be considered objectionable or offensive. So you eat a little fish. There are others on VB, actually, who eat fish. If your diet is veg*an otherwise, more power to you!

*this space not for sale*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page