school lunch - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-27-2005, 05:57 PM

My first child was homeschooled through high school so I didn't have this problem.

My second wanted to go to public school and is in the 10th grade. He is committed to being vegetarian, but is having a hard time at lunch. I will be the first to admit that he is a bit pickey, having been home for lunch all his life. He has to bring his lunch (the cafeteria has nothing but ice-burg lettuce salads) but is really getting tired of eating peanut butter and jelly. He doesn't like the vegan 'meats' that, says they taste terrible. But he doesn't want to look like he is eating anything wierd. Does anyone have any lunch ideas for teens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Ankle Biter

How about black bean dip or hummus on a tortilla, with lettuce and tomato? Take a thermos of soup and crackers. Take cold soba noodles with sesame oil and red pepper flakes. How about tortilla chips and salsa - add some beans and you have cold nachos. Some of these may look weird, but perhaps he'll start a trend - or better yet, get a reputation as the cool veggie guy with the interesting lunch!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 09-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

soup, burritos, dinner leftovers, fresh or canned fruit, fresh veggies, yogert (or soy yogert), crackers, vegan chilli, whole wheat bagel, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

If you want to feel completely outclassed but strangely inspired at the same time check out these lunches. They're amazing and scary at the same time.

P.S. - I know they're packed for a younger child - but there are still some good ideas here.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#5 Old 10-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Egg salad (if he is lacto ovo), BLT (with fakin' bacon of course), soy chik'n salad, pasta salad, cheese sandwich.
#6 Old 10-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

VeganLunchBox is awesome! It inspires me for my own lunches!
#7 Old 10-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

If you want to feel completely outclassed but strangely inspired at the same time check out these lunches. They're amazing and scary at the same time.

P.S. - I know they're packed for a younger child - but there are still some good ideas here.

I'm 19 years old and I want that lady to pack me lunch she can even call me little shmoo if she wants to.

In high school I took lots of veggie/hummus wraps, soups, and leftover dinner. See if one of the teachers has a microwave they would let him use to heat things up, I always managed to have a hot lunch in school
#8 Old 10-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in tenth grade also and I make my lunch in the mornings in under 5 minutes usually (unless I take leftovers). For lunch, I eat a lot of leftover rice with veggies, and pasta, it doesn't have to be warm. Dry cereal is easy too. Fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, salad/fruit salad, potatoes, "chicken" patties.

If I like something hot, I take it one day cold and see if it's any good since I have no access to a microwave. Either thinking out of the usual lunch or leftovers really are the key to variety. I ate a peanut butter sandwich for lunch every day for 9 years, but eventually I just got really sick of it and I barely eat PB anymore.
#9 Old 10-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Look in the sandwitches/burgers recipe section. One of my favorites is the mock tuna salad. Basically all you do is make it with garbanzo beans instead of tuna.
#10 Old 10-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Rice or pasta salads are easy to fix and transport. Around here, sushi rolls are really popular too. The school cafeteria may have hot water available if he wants to bring one of those insant soup-in-a-cup things.

Stuff with dip: Crackers with a cream cheese or non-dairy spread (like hummous or nut butter or tofu salad or fruit-spread). Apple wedges with nut butter. Carrot or celery sticks with homemade or store-bought dip. Tortilla chips with salsa, guacamole and/or bean dip. You could even layer the dips and add chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions for a 5-layer dip.

If you can buy or make pizza dough, you can make calzones stuffed with your favorite veggies/mushrooms/legumes/sauce (cheese optional). No containers or utensils needed.
#11 Old 10-23-2005, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

There's also a pretty good book called The Vegetarian Lunchbasket that has some pretty good ideas.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#12 Old 10-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Banned

M and J typically eat vegetarian lunches. We try to make them "fit in" with the other kids as best we can, due to an "incident" last year.

Two things that look "normal" and they have often are:

~hummus sandwich (lettuce, tomato, sprouts, cheese, and a good spread of hummus. In a sandwich, it looks like tuna)

~chili potato (baked potato with leftover chili)
#13 Old 10-23-2005, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

i pack food for university, and i like packing pitas with various fillings, right now i'm partial to hummus and veggies.. or filling it with pasta sauce and veggies and baking till crispy.. no cheese for me though, i'm vegan.. i know someone who in high school would fill pita bread with cheese and toast it, kinda like a quesadilla..

pasta salads, baked potato, homemade sweetpotato fries, tabouli, granola bars and yogurt, cereal and juice-box soymilk, silk alive! drinks, whole grain bagels with various spreads - vegan cream cheese blended w/salsa is yummy, also with jam!... leftover cold pasta...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page