Favourite Veg*n children's story book? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you or your children have a favourite book that addresses veg*n food or lifestyle in someway? Or, even kindness and compassion to animals?

I like exposing the kids to books that mirror the same ideas that we have at home.

We recently read 'Amos's sweater'. It is about a sheep that gets fed up giving up his wool. "Amos was old and Amos was cold and Amos was tired of giving away all his wool..."

***Spoiler***

The farmers recognize this and Amos ends up wearing the sweater out in the pasture! Happy ending for Amos!

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/ggawards/amos.htm

What is your favourite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Madeline and the Bad Hat is one of my daughter's favorite books. It's about a boy who's mean to animals, and at the end he turns vegetarian. I also think Horton Hears a Who sends a good message. There are a few more that I can't think of right now. Also The Lorax is more about environmental issues, but Em absolutely loves it.
#3 Old 04-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

There were a couple of thanksgiving books they love, I'll have to dig them up to get the titles. They were sooo cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Not *necessarily* a veg theme, but Rainbow Fish is all about being selfless and having empathy. A good lesson for any compassionate child.
#5 Old 04-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

SeaSiren, are you thinking of 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving? That's about these kids who save turkeys from a farmer the night before Thanksgiving.

We have Farmer Duck, too. It's about farm animals that revolt against a domineering farmer. It's cute.
#6 Old 05-06-2005, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I've heard of this book called Herb the Vegetarian Dragon

sounds very cute. It's about a dragon who feels isolated and different because he doesn't eat people like the other dragons but then he discovers it is okay to be different.

I have heard really good reviews about it. I might buy it.
#7 Old 05-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I've heard of that book, too, quorn. I also heard from a friend that the pictures were kind of violent. I don't know, I'd like to see it for myself.
#8 Old 05-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post

SeaSiren, are you thinking of 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving? That's about these kids who save turkeys from a farmer the night before Thanksgiving.

Yes, that's the one! It is soooo cute.
#9 Old 05-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I just hit the jackpot! I just ordered, so I'll let you know how they are when they arrive:

https://secure.vegsource.com/~farmsa...category_id=41

And a pdf downloadable book here:

http://health.rmad.org/kids_book.htm

I also got myself some tees from Farm Sanctuary.
#10 Old 05-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

SeaSiren, thanks for posting that!
#11 Old 06-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

#12 Old 06-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Beginner

I'm so buying some of those books.

My son likes "The Hunter and His Dog"

It's about a hunting dog that takes all the wounded birds to a hiding place, and when the owner finds that the dog's been taking care of them he shoots them all. (No I'm just kidding I just wanted to freak you out for a second!) He nurses them to health and sets them free! LoL

He also likes "If I were you"

It's about a boy that goes to the zoo and talks about what he would rather be doing if he were each of the animals. Pretty much anything but being locked up at a zoo.

He's so cute. He has a t-shirt I got from pangea that says "Animals are my friends and I don't eat my friends" and he wears it, proudly pointing at the pig on the shirt saying "This my friend!"
#13 Old 06-10-2005, 01:02 AM
Veggie Regular

i have a great one! but of course i can't recall the name of it, and its packed up in a box.

its a combination kids cookbook and story book, with some pretty awesome veg recipes in it ! suitable for kids of course.

it has four different little stories about veg*n issues and compassion, and each story has a few recipes attached to it. if i figure out the name, i'll let you know.
#14 Old 07-07-2005, 06:13 PM

The only one we have is "Cows are Vegetarians" ... I like the idea of 'the night before thanksgiving!' I'm going to get that one.

[BIG peeve of mine is that ALL of my family calls Thanksgiving "Turkey Day." That just bugs that heck out of me. BTW ... same with 4th of July - it's *independence Day* darnit!]
#15 Old 07-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Beginner

Thank you all so much for posting these books! I definately am teaching my son now that "Fish are friends, not food." And also, "Animals are our friends."

He's a very young toddler and just starting to talk well, so he is just starting to grasp some simple concepts.

I hope to raise a kind, compassionate, and people AND animal loving child.
#16 Old 10-08-2005, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I came across a book that might fit well in this thread.

http://www.bordersstores.com/search/...sp?id=55094138

It's by Paul McCartney and two other authors. Here's the description:

A delightful 96-page storybook, Paul McCartney skillfully dons yet another hat, that of storyteller. His lifetime love of classic Disney films clearly influenced this humorous and moving story, which is about a squirrel who recruits other woodland creatures to help him on his quest to free all animals.

The description in the link is more lengthy and detailed. It sounds cute but 96 pages is a lot for my little guy. I'll have to make a stop at a bookstore and flip through the pages.
#17 Old 10-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

We have Herb the Vegetarian Dragon. It is a cute story and my son, who is four, went a period where we read it a lot. I would recommend it. He is now into the let read and learn about science series. They are not about vegetarianism but it is a great series.
#18 Old 10-17-2005, 01:56 AM

Thanks for all the book links! You guys are A-OK!
#19 Old 11-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I just discovered that the ASPCA has a book award, called Henry Bergh Children's Book Awards, to honor children's books that promote the humane ethic of compassion and respect for all living things.

Here are the winners for 2004:

COMPANION ANIMALS: NONFICTION

A kid's best friend. Maya Ajmera and Alex Fisher. Charlesbridge. 1-57091-513-X.

Cherry Hill's horse care for kids. Cherry Hill. Storey Kids. 1-58017-476-0.

Companion Animals: Fiction

Jasper's day. Marjorie Blain Parker. KidsCan. 1-55074-957-9.

Straydog. Kathe Koja. Farrar, Straus, Giroux/Frances Foster. 0-374-37278-0.

ENVIRONMENT/ECOLOGY: NONFICTION

Animal talk: How animals communicate through sign, sound and smell. Etta Kaner. Kids Can. 1-55074-982-X.

ENVIRONMENT/ECOLOGY: FICTION

Goose's story. Carib Best. Farrar, Straus, Giroux. 0-374-32750-5.

HUMANE HEROES: NONFICTION

The elephant hospital. Kathy Darling. Millbrook. 0-7613-1723-6.

HUMANE HEROES: FICTION

Little flower. Gloria Rand. Holt. 0-8050-6480-X.

Monkey for sale. Sanna Stanley. Farrar, Straus, Giroux/Frances Foster. 0-374-35017-5.

POETRY

Turtle saver. Laurie Parker. Quail Ridge. 1-893062-32-5.
#20 Old 11-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that I found my new favourite book. It's a touch and feel board book called Animal Kisses: A Touch and Feel Book by Barney Saltzberg.

Quote:

Book Description

Do you like scratchy cat kisses? Or do you prefer squeaky pig kisses? How about a velvety cow kiss?

Kids will adore puckering up to Barney Saltzberg's irresistible menagerie of animals with fuzzy, sticky, and rubbery mouths just waiting for big smooches.

There is also:

Baby Animal Kisses

Noisy Kisses

Peekaboo Kisses
#21 Old 11-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I almost forgot about Tucker the Tomato! It's not really about animals, but it's about the adventures of an organic tomato. It is currently my son's favorite book.
#22 Old 11-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi there,

can anyone tell me the publisher of 'Benji Beansprout doesn't eat meat!'?

I bought a copy from Pangea to have a look at stocking in my vegan business, but gave it away to my son's childcare. They had a new cook and someone accidentally fed him jelly with gelatin in it!

The poor kid had a tummy ache all night!

So instead of getting all narky and yelling and such (they were SO apologetic anyway!) I decided to get together a 'veggie pack' for them including the Benji book and some vegan jelly, chocolate mousse and other stuff including some info sheets.

So now I can't seem to find the publisher of Benji on the net!

Cheers.
#23 Old 11-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Banned

http://www.flapdoodel.com/

there is a great book about vegetarianism and compassion for others and tolerance for those who are different, i have read it at least 3 times
#24 Old 11-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Not overtly veg*n, but Eve Bunting's A Turkey for Thanksgiving makes the "turkeys don't want to be YOUR dinner" message pretty danged clear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page