Disney Animals - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Has anyone ever heard anything bad about Disney animals? I've only heard good things about the caretakers at Disneyworld in Florida. I was just thinking about the stuff, my son and I just finished watching Bambi. I noticed that there are a lot of good Disney flicks that can be a tool for raising more compassionate kids. Anyone else think so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, absolutely! Adults, too. When I was thinking of going back to eating fish, my husband said "do you need to watch 'Finding Nemo' again?"

Disney tends to give personalites to animals, which is great. However, a kid could get confused...take Beauty and the Beast. Maybe a child will want to start showing more kindness to clocks, candlesticks, and tea kettles, too!
#3 Old 03-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I find Disney movie to be an excellent example of animal welfare and animal rights.Alot of childrens movies are.What I dont understand that that we (meateating adults of the world) cant make the connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Beginner

Actually, Disney movies are a big part of why I started feeling such compassion for animals in the first place. While we were watching Bambi, I was having flashbacks of when I was a little girl (don't remember how little, but very little) watching it and I wanted to go teach those hunters a lesson!!!

Chicken Run is another good one. I remember hearing a bunch of kids in the news saying "I don't want to eat chicken anymore" cause the movie. Of course, their parents firmly shot that down, but hey, they tried! I haven't seen Home On The Range but I think it's almost the same.
#5 Old 03-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Bambi was the first movie I was taken to and my mom said I yelled out when Bambi's mom got shot. I don't really remember the movie, I just bought it on DVD so I'll have to watch it again.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 03-18-2005, 03:58 AM
Veggie Regular

We did not go to movies and there was no VCR when I grew up, so most stories I heard being read from books. I cried when Bambi's mom got shot and got mad at the hunter, said why does that hunter have to eat meat, mommy (I was raised a vegetarian).

I agree about (Disney) movies being a great tool. My daughter (almost 4) does not ask many questions about the food I prepare but when she does and asks about meat or fish, I simply reply that "we do not eat animals in our family". She has not challenged this so far.
#7 Old 03-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular

You know, speaking of kids who want to be vegetarian, a kindergartener in our class decided to be vegetarian as an expirement (I promise I didn't 'witness' to her, though I've always told the kids that I'm vegetarian and what exactly I'm eating today when they ask)...her Mom let her do it for something like a week. But then told her she needed to have 'protien' and that she could decide when she was older if she was going to be vegetarian.

Disney movies....I think they can be good, but they are also problematic. They are fantasy...not real. The animals don't look real, for the most part and they talk. Children understand this is 'pretend'...not a real fish or a real chicken. Animals talking doesn't really happen, so can animals 'feeling' really happen either? I think it can teach children to seperate animals in reality from animals in pretend...because obviously animals in pretend are more like humans than anything else. Shark tales is an example of this, with the animals actually living in human like apartments. Odd.

I actually LOVED Two Brothers though. What an awesome movie. Whale Rider (which wasn't Disney) was excellent though not for younger children.

B
#8 Old 03-18-2005, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Fox and the Hound, best disney movie ever made.

That's all I have to say. : )
#9 Old 03-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Beginner

Yeah I liked Two Brothers simply because the animals DIDN'T talk and the stories are very believable (except for some parts in the end). As far as kids getting confused with real and fake, I think it depends on the kid and what they learn about animals. I'm sure if you explain to the kids that yes, animals *do* feel and no they *don't* talk, it would have some effect. But it's not like we're trying to brainwash them or anything so it doesn't have to be exact.

I mainly started this thread wondering if anyone's ever heard anything bad about Disney's Animal Kingdom park? I've only heard good things.
#10 Old 03-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Beginner

WushuMom, I've been to Animal Kingdom several times, the worst thing I can say is that it gets HOT there! For a zoo, it's very well set up and as close to natural as they could make it. If you go make sure you do the safari ride in the Africa section, and go through the paths in Asia to see the tigers, bats and birds and ride the "Kali River Rapids" ride, which in one part shows the dangers of deforestation and fires in the rainforest. (Also, make sure you get a face painting for your kid. It was the best face painting I ever got, a fullface glittery rainbow tiger. I still have pictures... It's awesome. ) The Lion King show there is awesome as well, but I think that might have been replaced with a Tarzan show...
#11 Old 03-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Beginner

Oh we already went but my son was too little to go (we went on our honeymoon ) I was just hoping that noone's ever heard anything terrible to crush my Disney dreams!

We actually stayed at the Animal Kingdom resort and saw a family of cattle outside our room every morning snuggling and grazing together. It was awesome I'm hoping to take my son next year when he's a bit older.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page