VeggieBoards banner

Kids & Tea

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  missbelgium 
#1 ·
Is it safe to give a 2 1/2 year old tea? I think he's getting a cold and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about echinacea and toddlers.

<~that guys cute

See less See more
#5 ·
My two year old uses "Vi Protection Blend" by Herbs for Kids. It has echinacea root, hussop, lemon balm, thyme leaf, lemongrass, and gingerroot as ingrediants. I actually give him one dropper full every day thru the cold/flu months. (This year it's been from late December to now).

AND he's never had any illness. Not even a runny nose this year!

#7 ·
I was given coffee in a bottle as a child because it was cheaper than milk...and it tasted good.
Other than being on the short side I'm not screwed up by it so I cannot imagine herbal tea being bad. It can't be worse than super sugary "juices" other parents give their kids. Bleh!

#10 ·
Thanks, I'll try and see if he likes it. Do you sweeten it up at all? When my little brother was 10, he was real sick at my house and we always have tea so I told him he should try some and gave him some peppermint tea. He ended up just holding it under his mouth and nose for like a half an hour cause he loved the smell but hated the way it tastes.

We don't put any sugar or anything in our teas, so I was just wandering if your kids like it without sugar or not?

#11 ·
The kids in my family like herbal teas and they always want to add sugar, but we don't let them. they also do prefer them quite a bit weaker than I would.

#12 ·
I have given my kid herbal teas (first fennel seed for her colic, then chamomilla, peppermint, "winter" mixes against coughing, ...) since she was 4 months old, no sugar. She's used to it and prefers it to juice. There is no risk involved in giving herbal tea at all (unless you choose herbs of dubious origin of course). I have always used big organic brands. If you are not giving your children excessive amounts of sweets or sugar, they will not ask for sweeteners in the tea. That is my experience, anyway. It's a question of habit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.