I need help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-23-2004, 09:46 AM

I'm writing a research paper on vegetarian diets during pregnancy in an effort to quell the rumor that they are unhealthy or harmful to fetal and postnatal development. I am having trouble, however, finding any printed support in medical journals or books on nutrition. If anyone has any credible sources of information ((internet, books, journals, newspaper, magazines, etc...)) please post a response to this thread or email me at [email protected]. I would greatly appreciate any assistance that you can offer. Thank you.

ps. Preferably as few .com sources as possible. If that's all you have by all means still send it.

**edited for stupid spelling errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2004, 05:48 AM

Well, there was a group/commune that adhered to a pretty strict veg*n diet in the 70's, I believe. They were called "The Farm". The book "vegetarian baby" takes some of their research nut'n numbers from that "project". I also have a cookbook put out from the farm. It's called "the new farm vegetarian cookbook" , Hagler & Bates. It has info on vegan pregnancy and experiances FROM the Farm and the pregnancies.

Hope this helps!
#3 Old 09-24-2004, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

www.vegfamily.com has a lot of articles supporting vegan pregnancies. I know there is a section written by a dietician. Michael Klasper MD also has a book ( I can't think of the name off the top of my head ) - maybe you could find that info on www.vegsource.com Sorry they're .com's but that's all I have right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-24-2004, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

#5 Old 09-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegiemom View Post

Well, there was a group/commune that adhered to a pretty strict veg*n diet in the 70's, I believe. They were called "The Farm". The book "vegetarian baby" takes some of their research nut'n numbers from that "project". I also have a cookbook put out from the farm. It's called "the new farm vegetarian cookbook" , Hagler & Bates. It has info on vegan pregnancy and experiances FROM the Farm and the pregnancies.

Hope this helps!

Uh huh they are still around. A co-worker was going to go there to have her baby but ended up having it at home instead.

http://www.thefarm.org/
#6 Old 09-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's my favorite - the American Dietetic Association's position paper on vegetarian & vegan diets. There are sub-sections on pregnancy, infancy, and childhood. Here's the link: http://www.eatright.org/Public/Nutri...n/92_17084.cfm

I like this one because it is a very credible, un-biased source, and offers a lot of thorough research. If you want non-internet sources, I think you can order the position paper from them on their website.

good luck with your study.
#7 Old 09-26-2004, 08:01 PM

Thank you all very much. The sources are all good and have me going down the right track. I appreciate all your help. Keep sending more if you find any. I've found several on my own but the more I have to reference the more thorough and credible my paper will be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page