Were you raised veg*n? Or how a veg*n upbringing affects kidlets... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-14-2004, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

So I'm all happy and pleased as punch about the choices we've made for us and our boys. And they seem real happy too. They love animals of course and it makes sense to them.

But I wonder how they will feel when they are older?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I knew a vegan family once, and they had a daughter that was my friend. She ate vegan when she was home, and out in public she wouldn't eat meat or daity. She wouldn't pay attention to labels much.. I think your boys will do just fine
#3 Old 09-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Baby Love

I wasn't raised veg, but I had a boy in my Taekwondo class who had never had a bite of meat. He was just like any other happy, healthy, 12 year old kid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Depends on the kids, it seems like your kids really are interested and support your family's veg*nism, so chances are, they'll continue with it.

I know one kid who has always been a strict vegan and totally agrees with it. On the other hand, there are the rebellious kids who were raised veg*n but will eat meat just because they want to piss off or disregard their parents.
#5 Old 09-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a friend that was raised veggie. As an adult, she eats mostly veggie meals, but is omni, and raises her family that way.
#6 Old 09-22-2004, 12:17 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

My brother independantly became a veggie at the age of about 5. He is 26 now. Very fit. very healthy. He goes parachuting, rock climbing and long extreme bike rides in the dark. He has never (touch wood) been majourly ill. He did recently go to hospital for bike crash- but made a good recovery. I think he was anemic at one point as a kid.

I didn't go veggie until I was about 12. (about 10 years after my brother) I guess I was a "flextarian" before that as I ate a lot of veggie food and sometimes meat. I hardly ever get ill. Also if I get a cold I seem to throw it off faster than a meateater.

I do know someone who was brought up vegan and became an omni to spite his parents. He was a bit (understatement) of a nutter. Sounds like yours are loving it,

Kat
#7 Old 10-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I was raised vegetarian and so was my brother. We stuck with it; neither of us really considered ever not being that way. Neither of us knew any other vegetarians (besides our parents) until we left home. Being different was often a pain, but usually just because people hadn't anticipated us not being able to eat something. But we knew why we didn't eat meat and embraced it.

Now that I'm older (25), I still embrace my different lifestyle. But where as a kid I just knew I was inherently different and went about my way, now I think about the idealogical differences between myself and just about everyone else around me. And, I didn't become a vegetarian like most vegetarians I happen to meet. I just am. So I feel sometimes that my outlook is even a little different than those who are vegetarian, but once weren't...a little more set apart because I can't relate to the standard lifestyle on any level (past or present). Sometimes it frustrates me. But--I wouldn't have it any other way and will never change.

Now I can't remember what the original question was. Hope this is helpful.
#8 Old 10-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, Squirl, that is so cool. I hope my kids feel the same way when they are grown.

Was there ever a point in your life when you or your brother asked your parents if you could try meat? Or wanted to try it? How did your parents approach vegetarianism in general? Did they ever tell you that you couldn't eat meat when you were away from home, or did that just not come up?

I imagine that when my kids are old enough, I will allow them to decide for themselves whether they want to be vegetarian when they are away from home. I don't want them to feel forced, and then rebell. However I also imagine that if my children realize all of the suffering that goes into the meat industry, they won't want to be a part of it.
#9 Old 10-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I was raised a strict vegetarian and it just always felt normal to me. I have cousins who are also vegetarians, which helped. And there were always a few at school...

I have never been curious about the taste of meat, but sometimes my mother tells me "this tastes like chicken" or "this tastes a lot like bacon" so I think I have an idea.

I am happy being a veg and don't see any reason to rebel. If I did, it would break my mother's heart absolutely.
#10 Old 10-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Colorful --I don't think we ever really thought about trying it. My father was the force behind the vegetarianism...he was always emphasizing respect of all life. Even bugs that wandered inside had to be taken outside in a "nice" way. He never said we couldn't eat meat...but I guess we knew that we would feel guilty if we did. My mother was vegetarian too, although on a couple of occasions we saw her cheat. I think she did it mostly for my dad and for the health reasons. Now, it's just her way of life. She never really said anything about why we ate the way we did (but we got more than enough of that from dad). Anyway, I can't really remember my parents telling me what to not eat meat away from. I think the message was so strong that there weren't any questions. And we didn't rebel...I don't know if it's because of our temperaments (bro. and me) or because the message was powerful enough to nip exploration in the bud. Maybe a little of both

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page