Vegan mom, couldnt breastfeed, advice needed! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 2 Post By ElaineV

#1 Old 05-09-2016, 06:53 AM

Vegan mom, couldnt breastfeed, advice needed!

Hi all, I've got a beautiful baby girl 3 months old, I'm vegan and fully intended on breastfeeding,however due to various reasons (and I REALLY couldn't have tried harder) I have had to formula feed her, I'm from the UK and I've found the best organic formula I can find and she's doing great, however I'm still heartbroken about It and as soon as she can eat she will have a vegan diet, but my question is, when can I incorporate/wean her into plant milk?
They say to wean baby's onto proper cow milk as opposed to formula once they are 1, I'm wondering if it's OK to switch her to plant milk (and which one?!) At 1 or would she need to continue cows milk!
I just want the best for my baby, thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Many babies are put on soy formula from birth here in the US, not sure about the UK. Congrats on your new baby!
#3 Old 05-09-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Many babies are put on soy formula from birth here in the US, not sure about the UK. Congrats on your new baby!
We do have soy formula here too, but as I never planned on bottle feeding I didn't have any ready, and I ended up staying in hospital for a few days so as she needed milk there and then she had normal formula as it was the only one the hospital had!
As she's doing really well and settled on this (now she's on the organic one, I had problems with others) I'm hesitant to swap to soy as I don't know if it would upset her stomach or anything. Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Good questions for your pediatrician/family doctor. Here are a few additional resources that might be helpful:
http://www.theveganrd.com/2012/11/a-...-children.html
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/realveganchildren
http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/kids.php
https://www.vegansociety.com/resourc...-and-pregnancy

By the way, I wouldn't worry about the formula. I would probably feel the same way about switching formula, and she will only need formula for a relatively brief time in her life. I can't think of any reason you would need to transition from cow's milk formula to cow's milk, but the above links have some info on when to transition to fortified plant milk.
#5 Old 05-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I adopted my son. He was on dairy formula at the hospital and for a few weeks after. Then I switched him to soy formula. The way I did it was like this:
week 1: 3 parts old formula with 1 part new formula
week 2: half old formula and half new
week 3: 3 parts new formula and 1 part old
week 4: all new formula

That way he adjusted well and didn't complain and his stomach was fine. Now your kiddo might have an allergy or something that makes the process go less smoothly but it does work for most babies.

At age 1 we switched to soymilk (fortified, organic, unsweetened) and we did it the same way with ratios of old and new. Then at age 2 we switched to just water and again the same thing. He adjusted well to each change
LedBoots and cherries like this.
#6 Old 08-23-2016, 12:00 AM

Be careful, I suggest you talk with some experts on a vegetarian diet. You need to know how long you should give formula. I don't know the correct year, but I think you need to introduce half liter formula until the age of 2 or even 3?

Having a vegan kid is easy when you breastfeed, but if you can't breastfeed things can complicate, so you need to monitor your baby, and if you see he is not gaining weight you should talk to your doctor ASAP.
#7 Old 08-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Be very careful and do whatever is best for your baby's health. Do some reading on the key nutrients that a child at this age must get, and can be deficient in, and make sure they get them. If that's not stating the obvious!

Don't want to offer any specific advice as I've never looked into it from the standpoint of such a young child, but wishing you the best of luck.
#8 Old 12-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RheRhe View Post
We do have soy formula here too, but as I never planned on bottle feeding I didn't have any ready, and I ended up staying in hospital for a few days so as she needed milk there and then she had normal formula as it was the only one the hospital had!
As she's doing really well and settled on this (now she's on the organic one, I had problems with others) I'm hesitant to swap to soy as I don't know if it would upset her stomach or anything. Thanks for your help
Oh I hope you read this RheRhe! I was reading about breastfeeding and B12 and soy just last week! Soy formula actually is a problem for babies because it has some aspects of it that actually prevents the baby from absorbing the B12 that they put in it. What's more, if you aren't B12 deficient yourself, then your baby was born with a four month supply of B12 but after that your little kid's own supply starts to diminish. Interestingly, even the mothers supply in her milk (if you were breastfeeding) begins to decrease around the same time.

Rather than try to explain it all, I'll give you the links I was reading. And the gist of them seems to be that your baby needs to be receiving a supplement.

http://sciencenordic.com/exclusive-b...iciency-babies

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/publica...sm-isnt-autism

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...g/soy-formulas

Those three links are must reads for you and your little one. And if your little girl is doing good with her organic non-soy formula, I'd stick with that if I were you. Good luck.

Last edited by 121938; 12-05-2016 at 10:17 AM.
#9 Old 07-06-2017, 12:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Congrats on your bub!
I second Beegan's very sensible response.
I'm due in a few weeks and intend to breastfeed but if I can't, I will probably use a2 formula rather than soy for many varied reasons but I'm sure for a lot of people soy formula is fine. It felt like a weird choice but I researched as best I could and with an open mind and came feel that raising children without dairy or with minimal dairy is doable but breastfeeding is different and the lack of doing so requires certain nutrients to come from elsewhere. Other mammalian milk seems to be the go if bub accepts it (and some don't tolerate dairy of course), in that respect. But of course babies have been raised on soy and been ok.
I think trust your guts, trust bub's guts (literally) and whatever works for you works best.
Some things are more ideal than others (my mother was raised on Carnation milk... by a mother who could breastfeed...because advertising at the time said that was healthier. Appalling... And she had heaps of issues because of it...) but
"Fed is best" as they say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page