my son's daycare - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-10-2004, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

So, my son went to his second day of preschool yesterday. As I was dropping him off in the morning I noticed a couple things that made me uneasy. First, there was only one teacher and she was watching 10 kids. And also, they have a pet bunny in the classroom. The poor thing is in this cage backing away as far as it could while 2 children were poking it in the eye and pressing down on its head and body like they were trying to squish it. I felt so bad for the bunny and I kept telling the kids to stop but they totally ignored me. The teacher was on the otherside of the room not even watching them. When I told her what was going on she went over and shut the cage but I shudder to think how long they would have been torturing the bunny had they not been noticed. Next I see a boy backed into a corner with 2 other boys in his face. Then one of the boys slapped the boy in the corner accross the face! The teacher was doing something else and didn't see so I told her and she didn't even discipline the boy. I really don't want my sweet little boy in an environment like this. How can the teacher be expected to watch so many kids by herself? The only reason we are at this daycare at all is because I get a voucher for it. I hope this doesn't sound stereotypical but most of the kids in this daycare come from low-income, inner city homes. I have noticed certain kids are really violent and I am afraid my son will get bullied and the teacher won't intervene. Elijah(my son) is only there 2 days a week while I am in school. I wonder if there is anything I can do to make this situation better or if I will need to take him out of there and stop going to school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-10-2004, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow. Lots of red flags there. If this is the normal situation, I would be hesitant to send my son to something like this.
#3 Old 09-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd take him out of that daycare center, doesn't sound too good. Try to take your classes during hours that someone else can watch him or find a different daycare center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Doesn't sound good to me, either. And that is what was going on while you were there.
#5 Old 09-14-2004, 12:42 PM

That doesn't sound good. You should probably start checking around to other day cares. My daughter was in day care for several years and it was a very nurturing environment that taught her to treat everyone with kindness and respect. I think it can be a fantastic experience for kids. This center doesn't sound like that kind of place, though. It is stressful enough leaving you child in a day care - you need to find one you are comfortable with or the guilt will drive you crazy!
#6 Old 09-14-2004, 12:50 PM

Yeah, I would reconsider leaving my child there. It doesn't sound like a very positive environment. You should also call and find out about the teacher=child ratio. I worked in a daycare/preschool for a short time, and in my state, the ratio is one teacher/teacher's aid per 6 children.

Jen
#7 Old 09-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

One teacher for 10 kids is not enough at that age. When I worked in a nursery, I kept toddlers (1-2 years old) and I was never supposed to have more than 3 or 4 kids per adult. Even for kids as old as 4 or 5, I think I would be more comfortable if there were more supervision.
#8 Old 09-14-2004, 12:57 PM

Take him out and try and save the bunny while you are at it (if at all possible). That's not a good environment for the bunny either. Can you hide him under your coat or something?? I mean, if the teacher isn't watching the kids what's the chances that she's watching the bunny.....
#9 Old 09-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know a lot about this, but is there any way you could report the daycare center? In order to be a licensed daycare, there are limits on how many children can be there based on how many "licensed" adults are there. It sounds like there are a few rules being broken to me ...
#10 Old 09-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

where i live there are laws in place that specify exactly how many children of what age group can be under the care of one educator. you should see what the laws are in your area. ten small children to one teacher does not sound safe to me.
#11 Old 09-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

first. i would stay in school. school is good for you and good for your son. parents who study often have kids who study and love to learn (i'm a prime example of that!). not that non-studious parents don't have kids who love to learn, but children learn skills from observing too.

second, i would find another day care. perhaps your voucher would be good somewhere else, or you can check with the school. i know at PSU, they have many types of day cares, most of them are for child development studies--observational stuff--where kids are kids and students observe their behavoir and development. often, they're exceptional and much better than many day cares. In some cases at PSU, day care was free if you were willing to allow your kid to go through psychological testing (one-on-one questioning, you get to observe the process). many parents opted for this selection.

also, what RWF said was a great idea--take classes when others can sit for you. or perhaps find a sitter for during your classes.

good luck!

and good luck with the rabbit situation too.
#12 Old 09-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Beginner

Definitely find a different day care. And for the sake of the other kids, you need to report what was going on. I'd try to save the rabbit too.

You have to keep going to school. It's hard when you have to have you kids in day care but don't give up. You can find a better situation out there, you just have to keep at it.
#13 Old 09-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the responses. I don't think my son will be going there anymore. It is kind of funny because I haven't actually got the voucher yet and every week I think they will give it to me but than they tell me I have to fill out more paperwork or get some obscure document. Well, today they(the state, not the daycare) asked me to do some things I am absolutly not willing to do so it looks like I won't get the voucher at all. I kind of think it is a sign or something. When I drop him off there I get this weird vibe from the place and I worry about him when I leave but I have no concrete proof that anything bad is happening to him so sometimes I think I might be overeacting. But like I said, I don't think I have to worry about that anymore. I am going to look into other options tomorrow because I really want to stay in school.

I could easily take the bunny. When I pick my son up there is no one in the classroom(except the bunny). Maybe I could stage it so it looks like it escaped.

I think I might report the ratio thing too. Today when I picked my son I heard a teacher say on the walkie-talkie that there were 45 kids outside on the playground. There were 3 teachers that I could see. It was chaos. Who would I report that to?
#14 Old 09-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijahbaby View Post

When I drop him off there I get this weird vibe from the place and I worry about him when I leave but I have no concrete proof that anything bad is happening to him so sometimes I think I might be overeacting.

Never, never, never worry about overreacting! You have those weird feelings for a reason, and I think you should always listen to them. Your son's well-being is way too important to let social pressures keep you from getting him out of a bad situation!
#15 Old 09-14-2004, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

ten small children to one teacher does not sound safe to me.

...in a number of ways. Mentally for the teacher as well as physically for the kids.

1 adult for every 2-4 sounds a lot better.
#16 Old 09-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

Never, never, never worry about overreacting! You have those weird feelings for a reason, and I think you should always listen to them. Your son's well-being is way too important to let social pressures keep you from getting him out of a bad situation!

Yeah don't worry about overreacting. I know horror stories. Follow your instinct if you don't feel this place is right.
#17 Old 09-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Baby Love

Thats actually a normal ratio for a preschool age 3 and up. Once they are potty-trained the number of kids per teacher is about 12-15 to 1. Under 18 months, it ranges from 4-6 in the states I've worked in. Toddlers its about 10. I have to say of the daycares I've worked in, you can tell the bad ones when you walk in. The last place I worked at was great! Trust your instinct. Its usually right on.

However, everything else does sound like a bad situation! The teacher obviously wasn't paying attention to the kids or the rabbit. I don't know the number to call to report a bad center. I'd try researching online or skimming the phone book. Good luck with everything!
#18 Old 09-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

The ideal ratio is one adult to as many children as they are old in years. 1 and under, 1 adult per child, 2 y/o's, 1 adult per 2 children, 3 y/o's, 1 adult per 3 children, and so on and so forth..

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#19 Old 09-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

The ideal ratio is one adult to as many children as they are old in years. 1 and under, 1 adult per child, 2 y/o's, 1 adult per 2 children, 3 y/o's, 1 adult per 3 children, and so on and so forth..

Ideal, yes ... but I've never seen a daycare with that ratio. They'd go out of business. The ratios in my post were what was currently the law in certain states in 2004.
#20 Old 09-15-2004, 04:36 AM

Jinga is right about the ratios. I teach pre-K/preschool in Florida in a state licensed school. The ratio down here is-

under 1 yr old....1 teacher : 4 children

1 yr olds....1 : 6

2-3 yr olds....1 : 11

4-5 yr olds....1 : 15

And yes, chasing after eleven 3 year olds is enough to drive any teacher insane!
#21 Old 09-15-2004, 06:24 AM

I would definelty not take your little one back there, it doesn't sound like a dafe environmetn at all. At my girls Creche they have 1:5 ratio and they stick to it very strickly, they have a floater who just helps out and then swaps between the 3 rooms for toliet breaks etc. I drive a really long way to take my girls to creche i looked at so many to find one that suited us, i slign wear and co-sleep. Believe in gentle disapline and i was not going to leave my girls withanyone who was going to treat them in a way i believe wasn't positive for them. The girls in the room my daughters started in at 6 months were wonderful and would even wear them in slings for their naps. They also really respect the girls diets and even bring in Vegan Cakes themsleves if they know someone else is bringing one in for a birthday or something These women are now like members of them family and a big part of my girls lives as we have no family here
#22 Old 09-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I've been on the phone all morning and I think I found a place I like. It is a half day program and it is right down the street from my house. They have about 8 kids in a class and there are always 2 teachers. My parents are going to help me pay for it. I think the reason I wanted him in the other place was because he was right on campus with me at school. But I would rather have him further away in a good place than close by at a bad one. I do have to drop a class in the afternoon which kind of sucks. But next semester I will plan my schedule differently.
#23 Old 09-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijahbaby View Post

Well, I've been on the phone all morning and I think I found a place I like. It is a half day program and it is right down the street from my house. They have about 8 kids in a class and there are always 2 teachers. My parents are going to help me pay for it. I think the reason I wanted him in the other place was because he was right on campus with me at school. But I would rather have him further away in a good place than close by at a bad one. I do have to drop a class in the afternoon which kind of sucks. But next semester I will plan my schedule differently.

Good for you!

Your son's well-being is the most important thing. I hope this one works out!
#24 Old 09-16-2004, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm glad to hear that you found a solution that works for you! all the best in your studies!
#25 Old 09-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Heart Beet

i'm a preschool teacher and where i live anyway it's a 12 kid to 1 teacher ratio (yes, folks i have 12 two year olds for 9 hours 5 days a week) for "school" and 6 to 1 for daycare.
#26 Old 09-21-2004, 11:33 AM

Thank God my wife and I made the commitment to not ever put our children in daycare, preschool, or babysitting. No one will ever care about your child as much as you will......
#27 Old 09-21-2004, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

lijah...how is the new place going?

Also, while it's true no one will love your kids as you do..there are some great providers who will come pretty darn close.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#28 Old 09-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivana108 View Post

Thank God my wife and I made the commitment to not ever put our children in daycare, preschool, or babysitting. No one will ever care about your child as much as you will......

Well, I can't say I could love a child as much as their parents, but I would have given my life for one of 'my' kids. Its amazingly hard to care for a child everyday for six months and then hand them over to a new teacher. It one big reason I couldn't stay in childcare. I get way too attached.

Just for the record, I have seen plenty of caring childcare workers. I think its a great experience for children to have quality care other than just their immediate family. Keeping a child away from school isn't always the great idea some people think it is. I've seen kids come into preschool/kindergarten that have never been away from their parents. The older they are, the more shocked and upset they get. Gradually exposing them to 'strangers' through responsible babysitters and part time quality childcare is a great thing
#29 Old 10-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

If the ratio is off, you can report them to your state's department of health or human services. Daycare centers are at least supposed to be looking over their shoulder for the inspector.
#30 Old 10-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Jivana, I would love to be home with him all day but that is not an option for me. I am a single mother and I don't even know where the father is. I had my son when I was 19 and I just now am going to college for the first time at 23. I am trying to do what is best for us in the long run, even though it hurts me to have to send him somewhere to be watched by someone else.

As for his new daycare, it is better. He is only there for 3.5 hours, 3 days a week. My only issue is that they seem to watch a lot of television. Out of the 8 days he has been there, he has watched t.v 4 of those days. When I did the tour, I asked the director if they ever watched t.v(I asked because I noticed a room with probably a hundred movies) and she said once in a while, like once a month and only for the kids who are there full days. So I guess that wasn't the truth. I really don't think a television even belongs in a child care facility at all. He can watch t.v at home for free! I am paying them to educate him and do activities with him. So I am going to bring it up with the director next time I see her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page