VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Raising Vegetarian Children (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/31-raising-vegetarian-children/)
-   -   The Ultimate List of Animal-Friendly Movies for Kids (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/31-raising-vegetarian-children/201625-ultimate-list-animal-friendly-movies-kids.html)

Werewolf Girl 01-31-2016 06:29 PM

The Ultimate List of Animal-Friendly Movies for Kids
 
http://www.petakids.com/wp-content/u...ist-header.jpg

Quote:

We have hand-picked the ULTIMATE list of children’s movies for families looking for films with an animal-friendly message. Grab the family, start the vegan popcorn, and watch your way to a more compassionate, animal-loving family.
Read the list here: http://www.petakids.com/spotlight/ul...iendly-movies/

There are some great movies here! Charlotte's Web had a big effect on me when I was a kid. Are there any more you would add?

It can be hard to find appropriate entertainment for veggie kids sometimes, it would be great if we could get our own list going here!

Crouton 01-31-2016 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl (Post 3895281)

It can be hard to find appropriate entertainment for veggie kids sometimes, it would be great if we could get our own list going here!

Is it? I'm kind of confused by this. Don't get me wrong, that list is great, I like a lot of those movies and can see how they have good messages about animals, but is it hard to find entertainment for veggie kids? Can't they just watch the same as everyone else?

Also, in terms of adding to the list, I would add the animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender. The main character in that is a vegetarian, and he's the strongest and most powerful character on the show, who several times mentions his love for animals and how he would never hurt them.

no whey jose 02-01-2016 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crouton (Post 3895321)
Is it? I'm kind of confused by this. Don't get me wrong, that list is great, I like a lot of those movies and can see how they have good messages about animals, but is it hard to find entertainment for veggie kids? Can't they just watch the same as everyone else?

I suppose that it might be problematic for the characters to be eating burgers, hot dogs, and other non-vegan food, or visiting a "happy" farm. I know that I feel uncomfortable whenever a children's show features a segment about farming.

Crouton 02-01-2016 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no whey jose (Post 3895689)
I suppose that it might be problematic for the characters to be eating burgers, hot dogs, and other non-vegan food, or visiting a "happy" farm. I know that I feel uncomfortable whenever a children's show features a segment about farming.

I guess, but we also don't want to hide kids to the world too much. If they get upset just at the sight of someone eating a burger then I'd be worried. The world is full of people eating meat, and they will be surrounded by it their whole lives so they need to get used to it.

no whey jose 02-01-2016 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crouton (Post 3895697)
I guess, but we also don't want to hide kids to the world too much. If they get upset just at the sight of someone eating a burger then I'd be worried. The world is full of people eating meat, and they will be surrounded by it their whole lives so they need to get used to it.

Valid point.

Necter 02-01-2016 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crouton (Post 3895697)
I guess, but we also don't want to hide kids to the world too much. If they get upset just at the sight of someone eating a burger then I'd be worried. The world is full of people eating meat, and they will be surrounded by it their whole lives so they need to get used to it.

true vegans never get used to meat consumption, just as I would never get used to slavery, rape, or murder.

littestvegan 02-01-2016 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necter (Post 3895777)
true vegans never get used to meat consumption, just as I would never get used to slavery, rape, or murder.

Yeah, but I think what crouton is getting at is that it might be shielding children too much. Between, internet and tv their going to see harm to animals weather its a hunting show or a bbq show. It might now be the best thing to tell them what and what not to watch all the time. I dont know, just my opinion. :)

Crouton 02-01-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necter (Post 3895777)
true vegans never get used to meat consumption, just as I would never get used to slavery, rape, or murder.

It might always be at the back of your mind, the cruelty and horrible farming practices involved. But saying you never get used to it is like saying you can never leave the house for fear of seeing a hamburger, because it's too upsetting. That sounds like the type of vegan stereotype omnivores would love to make fun at us for. Meat is all around us, we need to get used to that. We can't live in fear of leaving our house in case we pass someone on the street eating a chicken sandwich.

Quote:

Originally Posted by littestvegan (Post 3895801)
Yeah, but I think what crouton is getting at is that it might be shielding children too much. Between, internet and tv their going to see harm to animals weather its a hunting show or a bbq show. It might now be the best thing to tell them what and what not to watch all the time. I dont know, just my opinion. :)

Yeah this is exactly what I mean, kids need to get used to the world they live in. Shielding them too much isn't doing them good, but harming them, because then when they are faced with the true facts of the real world they won't be able to handle it.

LedBoots 02-01-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crouton (Post 3895697)
I guess, but we also don't want to hide kids to the world too much. If they get upset just at the sight of someone eating a burger then I'd be worried. The world is full of people eating meat, and they will be surrounded by it their whole lives so they need to get used to it.

I think that protecting young children from the harsher realities of life is a good thing. They will see the horrors as they grow up. Finding vegetarian children's books is a good thing. It will help to balance out all the "happy farms" Cow goes moo, sheep says baa books. Just my opinion as a mother of two adults.

no whey jose 02-02-2016 01:19 PM

My concern about.depictions of farms in children's books and tv shows isn't so much that they'll expose my son to animal agriculture, but that they'll lie about animal agriculture. I don't want him believing the "happy cow" nonsense. Similarly, his favourite characters eating meat might make him think that meat is cool and fun. I worry about these things.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.