4 y/o vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-24-2004, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

My details are a little sketchy so you'll have to bear with me..

One of the new professors in my mom's department (mom is an english prof) is the mother of a 2 y/o and a 4 y/o. Following a recent visit to the petting zoo, the four year old is refusing to eat meat. They apparently came home and the mom started making dinner and the kid asked what was for dinner, and the mom said "chicken" and the kid asked "chicken? like that was walking around chicken?" and wouldn't eat it. Then asked what was in other things, and won't eat anything that contains animals. So yay!! For the kid. My mother was asking for suggestions as to what to feed the child, since she will only eat cereal and peanut butter now (she was picky before) and her mother is concerned about her getting enough protein. I did tell her that she should be more worried about iron and Bvitamins, and suggested soy meats, but my mother had a valid point... How do you explain to a four year old that this thing that you're eating and that tastes like meat isn't actually meat? Its not like she can read and understand the ingredients. I can see in a household where you've always eaten veg and everyone else does its not as much of a question. This is obviously difficult on omni parents, so I told my mom to tell the other prof if she'd like to compile a list of things that the child used to eat, I'd compile a list of vegetarian alternatives. (Also, the kid won't eat things that are "too smooth" or "too chunky.")

Any thoughts?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Tempeh....but that's chunky, so I don't know. Tofu when frozen an thawed changes texture dramatically, so that might be a good option. A variety of nuts and dried fruit. Beans are a great option. I think what would be best, is for her to see a nutritionist who is veg friendly that can work with her.
#3 Old 08-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Keep trying a wide variety of foods, I guess. I don't know if this would be too smooth, but a lot of bean soups can be pureed so they aren't so weird to kids. And there's always fruit smoothies.

Just a note--extreme pickiness in children, especially with regards to texture, can be a sign of food intolerances, as can an attraction to only one or two types of foods. Her parents might want to look into it with a naturopath or nutritionist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2004, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Beans? My boys adore bean burritos.

My 4yo completely understands that veggie burgers are not made of meat. I wouldn't underestimate the child.
#5 Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I was going to suggest lots of beans, and of course, veggieburgers are kid friendly. If they say "veggie" on them, the kid will probably "get it."

That's awesome, though!

Also refer them to, or check out and relay the info at:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/childre1.html

There's also a number of books on raising veg children available at Amazon.com and other places.
#6 Old 08-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Banned

Try making the kids yummy smoothies with protein powders? I make those for my husband to make sure he gets a manly portion of protein each day ;-) Are those ok for kids I wonder?
#7 Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 AM

Since my family became veggies, my kids will ask.. Does this have animals in it? I just tell them the truth, then they eat it. Guess kids are very trusting...
#8 Old 08-25-2004, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

My boys want more info than that. "Chik patties aren't meaty? Well then what are they?!?!?!?" So I have to go into the soybean, tofu speech. They get bored fast and say ok, ok, we'll eat it!
#9 Old 08-25-2004, 12:23 PM

Oh, I do go into detail... I will have to say something like. It is a soy burger. Then tell them where soy comes from and all that. And my 6 year old asks if eggs are in just about everything.
#10 Old 08-25-2004, 02:17 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

My brother turned veggie- when he was 4/5 and back them my family were meat eaters. This was like over 20 years ago. He ate loads of pb, nuts and beans. Fake meats weren't so common but TVP was great! Just try a variety of foods, good on him

K
#11 Old 08-25-2004, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

she could get the veggie/grain burgers, those aren't so meat like, and she could probably find some she likes. I think a good vegetarian multi-vitamin would probably help lots too. My half brother was very picky too, but if he could help cook then he would normally at least try it, and most of the time, he would eat it. Maybe if she got more involved in cooking she could learn the difference between the fake and real meats and be more willing to eat more foods?

Most kids are picky eaters at that age, but she should start to outgrow it soon, and feeding her will be much easier.

Also, remember that watermelon is a very kid-friendly source of iron (1 serving=1mg of iron)
#12 Old 08-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

she could get the veggie/grain burgers, those aren't so meat like, and she could probably find some she likes. I think a good vegetarian multi-vitamin would probably help lots too. My half brother was very picky too, but if he could help cook then he would normally at least try it, and most of the time, he would eat it. Maybe if she got more involved in cooking she could learn the difference between the fake and real meats and be more willing to eat more foods?

Most kids are picky eaters at that age, but she should start to outgrow it soon, and feeding her will be much easier.

Also, remember that watermelon is a very kid-friendly source of iron (1 serving=1mg of iron)

I didn't know that about watermelon!!! Mmm...I'll have to get some...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page