How will you or have you [explaining veg*ism to children] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2004, 11:10 AM

explained to your children that in your house, vegetarian goes? And is that REALLY going to always be the case (ie- will you let your kids eat meat if they want it?)? Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

parents are in control of what their kids eat. my kids are learning more and more every day. they know to ask if something is vegan, and havent any problem when we telll them they cant have something that is not vegan. i will, i am sure enounter mor e probs. when they go to school. when they are older i will not be able to control a lot of what they eat. they know our values, and hopefully will stick with it when they get older. if they are choosing to eat flesh with their friends i will express disappointment at every turn. even when they are earning their own money, they will not be allowed to eat flesh in my house. my house, my rules. lots of meat eaters like to say that it is not fair that children are not given a choice to be omnis---uh....nope does not fly--where are the meat eaters telling their kids it is their choice to be veg???? silly silly.
#3 Old 08-23-2004, 12:37 PM

My house, my food. Outside of my house, up to them.

With that said, the boys aren't vegetarians, but they eat a wide range of vegetarian foods. They also know that want they get, is what they get. We have "restaurant" nights, where we will cook anything they choose, but usually we just go to a restaurant for that

I don't believe in short-order cooking for kids. Sure, a treat of that once and a while is fine, but when it's my turn to cook, I cook a meal for all of us. you don't like it, you don't eat it. But you don't get anything else.

The rules change a bit when they are old enough to make their own food. At that point, if we were all vegetarians and one stayed a meat-eater and wanted space in the fridge, I would obviously allow that. Same with the reverse (if we are all meat-eaters and 1 is a vegetarian, would make a space for them).

Now, when they are at school..........if they end up eating all gummy bears and pork chops at every lunch, that's their choice. At home, it's another matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

We just went veggie in March. We told the boys we wouldn't be eating meat anymore. That was all we said at first. Then when they started to question we told them "It was all about saving the animals". We didn't offer up too much, because they were 4 & 5 at the time. When they asked questions we answered them honestly without going into unnecessary detail.

Finally about a month in I think, my older son made the connection. And bawled in the bathroom about it for like an hour. I felt so bad. Cause most kids, if given the choice, wouldn't eat animals, knowing that the animals had to die for their food. And now, they are perfectly good with our choices. They even 2nd guess me in restaurants and at the grocery to make sure nothing has "meaty" in it.
#5 Old 08-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm pregnant and due next month and my husband and I have discussed this issue at great length. We do plan to raise our child as a vegetarian. But we do realize that when she is no longer a small child we will lose control over that outside of our house. That's just reality and we are okay with that. But while she is young she will be vegetarian and will know that it is because we don't eat animals. When she starts getting to where she stays over friends house, dates, etc. She will know that I prefer she eats vegetarian but I am not going to follow her around or discipline her because she tries it. I think it will be normal that she will try it and that's okay, but in our house she will always eat vegetarian. I am sure my a few of my family members or friends may try to sneak her meat too, and I am okay with that I am not about to waste energy worrying about that. But in our house it's veggie only.
#6 Old 08-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Our house is a vegetarian place, and that's the way we intend to keep it. Like rincaro said, I think it's pretty easy for kids to understand that you don't want to eat meat because that means killing animals. Most kids love animals. I think it would be harder to be omni and have to justify to your kids why it is okay to eat animals! As far as the dairy goes, I will just tell them, cow's milk is for baby cows, not for people.

When my kids get older, I will let them make their own decision about whether or not they want to be vegetarian. The home rules will still apply - they will have to eat what we cook. But if they choose to eat meat at a friend's house, or to buy meat at a restaurant once they are old enough to have a job/money, then that is their decision. I figure once they are teenagers, if I force them to be vegetarian and don't give them a choice, they might get a bitter attitude toward it and rebel against it.
#7 Old 08-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post

I'm pregnant and due next month and my husband and I have discussed this issue at great length. We do plan to raise our child as a vegetarian. But we do realize that when she is no longer a small child we will lose control over that outside of our house. That's just reality and we are okay with that. But while she is young she will be vegetarian and will know that it is because we don't eat animals. When she starts getting to where she stays over friends house, dates, etc. She will know that I prefer she eats vegetarian but I am not going to follow her around or discipline her because she tries it. I think it will be normal that she will try it and that's okay, but in our house she will always eat vegetarian. I am sure my a few of my family members or friends may try to sneak her meat too, and I am okay with that I am not about to waste energy worrying about that. But in our house it's veggie only.

I worry alot about family members trying to slip my kid meat (in the future of course, since he is only 8 months). I know that there is nothing I can do about it...but I can't help but feel that it will undermine the values I am trying to teach him. How did you get yourself so relaxed about it? I would love to know.
#8 Old 08-23-2004, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugvet View Post

I worry alot about family members trying to slip my kid meat (in the future of course, since he is only 8 months). I know that there is nothing I can do about it...but I can't help but feel that it will undermine the values I am trying to teach him. How did you get yourself so relaxed about it? I would love to know.

Believe me, I wasn't always this laid back about it. I have been a vegetarian though for 9 years now. When I first started out as a vegetarian the thought of them slipping my kid meat would have made me livid. But over the years I have just come to realize that it's really not worth being that uptight about. Family let's kids do things that parents normally don't, they let them get away with things. Like if you aren't allowed to drink soda, or wear make-up, etc. a family member might let you get away with that stuff. I just feel as though it's not worth the headache of worrying about it now. It took me years to get to a comfortable position like that though. Now I just accept the fact that I am going to teach my child ethical vegetarianism and she will be exposed to opposing sides, even from loved one's. There will come a time when she makes her own decision on the issue. If it were something they were sneaking her that could harm her or was putting her life in jeapardy it wouldn't be open for discussion. But sneaking he a bite of meat against my wishes isn't going to hurt her, I grew up eating it... Besides, I know they don't mean it to be mean or to spite me. I could see my grandma doing it because she's old and use to sneak me too many cookies beyond my mom's wishes. She meant no harm by it, I think intent makes the difference. I know that when she starts school people are going to offer her things too... you have to learn to accep that it's going to happen and all you can do is to hold your beliefs in your house. I'm comfortable with that and it's going to save me lots of worrying and headaches.

Another thing is that I would never expect my family to learn all the different hidden animal ingredients that are in things. I don't think that's fair to do to them, it's too much. Like if I show up and she's eating a candy bar that has marshmallows I'm not going to be mad that they didn't realize that the gelatin in the marshmallow isn't vegetarian.... I don't expect them to learn all that and make it a hard thing to be around my daughter. The time and experience with them is way more precious than that. :-)
#9 Old 08-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I would be upset if family members intentionally gave my child meat. I think family members need to respect the decisions that parents have made. Avoiding meat is something that my husband and I feel deeply committed to for ethical reasons. As far as I know, my family respects that. If I knew that they were sneaking meat against our wishes, it would make me question what other parental decisions they are undermining.

just my opinion.
#10 Old 08-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Please refrain from using the phrase "slip my kid meat." That is just so wrong.

I'm only half-joking. I know it's awful, but that's what happens when you skim a page and only certain phrases jump out at you.
#11 Old 08-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

LOL......That took me a minute to get into "dirty mind" mode.....that IS wrong!!!

My DH is an omni, but VERY supportive of raising our son a vegetarian. My DH only eats meat when we go out, or on the ocassion that I feel completely selfless, I will make him a special meal with meat. It has taken 6 years of marriage for me to finally find the courage to do that for him. As long as I'm feeding my son, he will stay a vegetarian. If he ever decides that he wants to eat meat, I will give him my approval. I don't want food to be a battle in my household. I pray that my influence will make eating animals unappealing to him.

I will say that if somebody fed my son meat, especially knowing his dietary restrictions, I would be a fire breathing momma!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page