Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By unovegan2
  • 1 Post By ElaineV
  • 2 Post By etoiles

#1 Old 10-11-2015, 12:45 PM
justalive

Meat substitutes for a 10 mo baby

We currently have a 10 mo old baby in daycare and in order for us to have him eat vegetarian we might need to provide some meat substitutes for the daycare to use as a replacement. We are currently listing tofu, egg, and cheese but I want to make sure they have something else on hand in case they cant use egg, tofu and cheese for a specific meal. Any meat substitutes out there that are low in sodium and decently healthy for a baby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Beginner

Why not give them low sodium canned beans or if frozen is ok freeze cooked beans in small portions. At that age my son loved kidney beans and chickpeas plain.
#3 Old 10-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Hard-boiled eggs? Yogurt? Crackers & hummus? Chickpeas seem like they'd be a great finger-food for tiny fingers. ;-) Oh, and Babybel cheeses are SO adorable, fun to eat, super tasty, and have NO ANIMAL ENZYMES! I love 'em! I'll occasionally make a snack for myself of a hard-boiled egg (sliced in half, spread with hummus) & an original Babybel. =)

Good luck to you & the wee munchkin!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Beginner

why would you need to give meat substitutes?
LedBoots and tiredgoddess like this.

Dog, guts and guns..
#5 Old 11-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

At that age I would stick with tofu (uncooked, mashed, or soft, no fried) and mashed beans. I might also do some high protein soups like lentil and pea soup. But I would not be giving meat analogs.
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 11-01-2015, 10:15 AM

I would go with tempeh. It's less processed than tofu.
#7 Old 11-01-2015, 10:33 AM
the ever sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamSarcastra View Post
Chickpeas seem like they'd be a great finger-food for tiny fingers. ;-)!
I would be afraid that chickpeas might be something a 10 month old baby could potentially choke on. And that they might cause baby to be gassy and feel bad (i felt like a little motor boat being propelled by gas the first time I ate chickpeas, lmao). Maybe partially mashed chickpeas? : )

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
#8 Old 11-01-2015, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend View Post
I would go with tempeh. It's less processed than tofu.
How so? Tofu is just coagulated soymilk. Tempeh is a fermented cake of soybeans. I would say they are both "processed" but in different ways.

Tempeh is much more firm that tofu and could be a choking hazard.
#9 Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadrielle View Post
I would be afraid that chickpeas might be something a 10 month old baby could potentially choke on. And that they might cause baby to be gassy and feel bad (i felt like a little motor boat being propelled by gas the first time I ate chickpeas, lmao). Maybe partially mashed chickpeas? : )
I did baby led weaning with ny son so he was great with soft finger foods at that age. Beans are nice since they are small and don't have to be cut up.
LedBoots and Sadrielle like this.
#10 Old 11-01-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
How so? Tofu is just coagulated soymilk. Tempeh is a fermented cake of soybeans. I would say they are both "processed" but in different ways.

Tempeh is much more firm that tofu and could be a choking hazard.
Yes, it's more firm; but it can be smashed to pure in food processor.

"Less processed", I mean that tempeh is made through a simpler process than tofu (whole unprocessed soybeans are fermented with mold). Thus, it is higher in protein, fibers, and vitamins, compare to tofu.

Last edited by Friend; 11-01-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: grammar mistake
#11 Old 11-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend View Post
Yes, it's more firm; but it can be smashed to pure in food processor.

"Less processed", I mean that tempeh is made through a simpler process then tofu (whole unprocessed soybeans are fermented with mold). Thus, it is higher in protein, fibers, and vitamins, compare to tofu.
It's true that tofu has some of the fiber of the soybeans removed. This can actually make it more digestible for some people. Tofu remains a good source of protein (http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein#table3) and also a good source of calcium if it is calcium set. I would argue that both tofu and tempeh have essentially equal value as protein sources in a balanced vegetarian diet, and tofu has the added advantage that no special equipment is needed to mash it for a baby to eat.
#12 Old 11-01-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
and tofu has the added advantage that no special equipment is needed to mash it for a baby to eat.
I have a slightly different opinion on tofu vs tempeh subject, but it's fine.
I just saw your comment about "no special" equipment is needed for tofu, and wanted to notice that when you have a baby then food processor is one of the most useful kitchen gadgets. I just remember when my kid transited to solid food, I could not imagine my life with no food processor. But it looks like off-topic now; my apologies.
#13 Old 11-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Beginner

In Kerala, India, Hindu babies eat mother's milk for first five mos. At 5 mos. they have their first rice ceremony where they eat solids for the first time. After the ceremony they eat what adults eat. They adjust spicy heat incrementally until about age 2 or 3. BY then Indian toddlers can eat hot chilis that would make a white man have a stroke.

Anyway, My wife designed a simple meal plan for a local daycare center in Austin. It is a vegetarian daycare (also prohibits refined sugar).

You can view it here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

Last edited by Lipps; 11-01-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added material

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page