Kids favorite snacks? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Beginner

What do you give your kids as occasional snack that they don't get often? I grew up omni and had ice cream a lot but my daughter will be milk free and I will be working us both towards being vegan. She doesn't tolerate milk well and gets icky bowel movements so has been on soy formula for last couple months since she wean from breastfeeding. DH has agreed to do vegetarian meals(he said no way is he gonna be vegan) but I also know he will still eat meat when given the chance when we or he eats away from home.

But for a vegan diet what do kids get as a special treat? Is Italian ice(fruit flavored frozen ice) a good option, meaning it is vegan correct? What are some other ideas?

DD is gonna be a year a week from Monday but I want ideas that will be good now and in future years. I think what I'm looking for is that special you've been great or reward type treats for doing a good job that for me was usually ice cream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

If you want something similar to ice cream you could try Tofutti, or one of the other brands of non-dairy 'ice cream'

There are plenty of recipes floating around here (and other places on the web) for great vegan dessert recipes like cookies and cakes.
#3 Old 07-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

There are plenty of tasty vegan ice cream alternatives! Sorbets are often vegan too. I don't think food should be a "reward" as much as a "treat" though. Cause if you're good and you get food, if you're not good you don't get food? Just causes weird associations.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Fruit! It's a great idea to instill a love of fruit early on. Certainly it's nice to give her tofutti (or something similiar) once in a while, but I think that it would be great to start her out early on really healthy snacks. It seems like a lot of the time, kids who grow up without tons of sugary stuff never develop much of a taste for it.

Obviously, if you're planning to raise her vegan, you're already on the right nutritional track!
#5 Old 07-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

You can make your own, homemade, healthy ice pops. They sel ice pop molds where all you do is pour in a liquid (like fruit juice), stick in the handles and put them in the freezer. Then, voila, in a few hours you have super yummy ice pops
#6 Old 07-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Beginner

Thank you all.

Rabid_child, I agree with it not being a reward. A treat is a better term your right.

Also I intend for fruit to be daily treats but in general I'm thinking of those occasion special treats. My dd has been snacking on diced fruits for several months now.

I'm just looking for alternatives to the lets go out for ice cream.

I was at a gas station yesterday and this overweight women was checking out and had 4 or 5 kids with her and they all had atleast one snack with them and I can't help but think of the way my mom did that too and how bad my eating habits have been for years. Thats my main reasoning for switching to a more healthy planet based diet. In hopes that she will become accustomed to fruits being snacks. I can just think of the kids in their future dealing with obesity like have and which I blame on my mom's influence on my diet.
#7 Old 07-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon, raisins and crushed pineapple is adored frequently by my kids. as is pureed carrots, with almond butter and a teaspoon of soy sauce---very rich. freeze bananas then puree in blender with a little soymilk and PB or other nut butter. a "treat" is whatever you tell them is a treat!!! have fun with it!!
#8 Old 07-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Zoesmama!

My youngest son is the same as your daughter. Breastfed for awhile, couldn't tolerate cow's milk formula and we had to put him on soy. The bad thing is, I eventually let him drink cow's milk (we just went veg*n in March). He's almost 5 now. And ever since I took milk away he's been so much better. Better bowel movements, no sneezing and covering the whole house in snot.

Snacks we like: tofutti ice cream bars , sorbets (either homemade or storebought), vegan cookies (almost always homemade), clif and luna bars (both vegan)...

We have a thread What did you feed your kids today? that some mamas post on semi-regularly. We trade menus and kid friendly recipes there. Hope to see you around more!
#9 Old 08-02-2004, 02:43 PM

Raisins, nuts and fruit are our everyday snacks. Occasionally I will bake something, and yes, we consider it "special" because even ds has a sweet tooth (he must have inherited it because his sugar consumption is severely limited!). In fact, last night I tried a new recipe for carrot cake - sweetened with raisins, dates and oj. I found the recipe at www.veganchef.com/sfcarrot.htm . We also love a sugar-free cookie (again, sweetened with dates) called Brenda's Date Cookies from the book Defeating Diabetes. I must admit we love them more when we add vegan chocolate chips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page