Raising kids with an omni partner - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

#61 Old 02-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
my brother is also Feeding her daughter meat thinking she needs to make a decision to be vegetarian by herself. I think that's naive.

Would you let your children choose to be a non racist? would you let your children choose to be a non thief?

If we believe in a set of values, we should instill those set of values in our children. they can choose to disregard those values later in life. But when they are small you need to make the choice for them. if vegetarian is the right choice for you, it should be the right choice for your children.
Yes, that's a good point but if you haven't been raising them as vegans from birth but suddenly try to change their diet later in life it may be difficult, what if they refuse to be vegan? I mean I've set rules no meat in the house, my daughter has embraced vegetarianism but my son is still asking for meat every now and then so he has it at school a couple of times a week. There's a big thing about social services in the uk, no one would risk pushing too far against a child's will

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 02-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
There's a big thing about social services in the uk, no one would risk pushing too far against a child's will
This is true - social services have a lot of legal powers in the UK...
#63 Old 02-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Beginner

I am now raising my child as a vegetarian. DH is omni and I am a vegetarian and have been one many years (18 years!) so he was well aware of the situation when we met.

I cook so I make all vegetarian dinners and he eats them although sometimes he will microwave something frozen to have on the side of it and eats vegetarian most of the time except when he is at work and gets lunch out.

We decided to raise our child vegetarian and then when he is old enough he will make his own choices about what he wants to do and eat. He's 22 months now so still young but yes vegetarian and all our family on both sides are aware. Right now he obviously can't understand what he is eating so that is why he is vegetarian now and when he is old enough to understand where meat comes from, etc then he can make the choice himself. I will never cook or touch meat though so if he decides to eat it it will not be from me.

He loves animals right now so we'll see how this all pans out!
LedBoots and MozIsMyShepherd like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 02-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmaura View Post
This thread is very interesting. My thoughts are that the health of my kids is important above all else. As such, I'm much more worried about them eating junk food than meat. They do eat meat, and it's almost always the organic grass fed sort. Sometimes stuff like quality ostrich. I make sure they get the bits that are most healthy too, such as beef liver. If they ever decided to try vegetarian that would of course be fine. I could help them make the best choices there as well.

Health comes first. Philosophical outlook is something they can decide for themselves.
http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-to...t-health-foods
scwendy likes this.
#65 Old 02-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
This isn't the health or nutrition forums, but if other parents believe meat to be unhealthy it seems like a good enough reason to have their children eat a vegetarian diet
You used the word "health" and "healthy" to describe feeding various animals to human children. My link was a response.

You may want to read the terms of service you agreed to on this forum. Promoting meat-eating is a no.
scwendy likes this.
#66 Old 02-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
I'm not trying to promote meat-eating. What I'm saying is that I'd rather my kids eat meat than junk food, and if they're going to eat meat it's going to be the healthier kinds. Thought it was on-topic in this thread about having kids with an omni partner. I have kids with an omni partner, and they themselves are omni.

Are we only allowed to post here if our kids are vegetarian too? :/
You are allowed to post whatever your kids are, it's what you say in your posts that matters. Talking about eating ostrich and cow's liver on here is offensive and inconsiderate. In addition, claiming that it's healthy is very questionable.
scwendy and Lymo like this.

Last edited by MozIsMyShepherd; 02-23-2015 at 07:20 PM.
#67 Old 02-23-2015, 07:20 PM

My intention was not to offend. Apologies.
#68 Old 02-24-2015, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Food for thought. I'm having very similar discussions to you Brookgirl - my fiance is an omnivore and I am not.

Recently he's been eating more veg*n food (because a while back I stopped making him a meat option along side my veggie one). My food is generally more tasty and appetizing than his (he's quite reliant on stuff that comes out of the freezer or a packet). Also when we have made the same dish (e.g. chili or lasagna) then you can see how much healthier the veg*n option is. The lasagna last week was a case in point. His was swimming in fat and mine was packed with veg and fresh colours and flavour and crucially not in a sea of grease. He was also shocked by how much salt he had to add to his to get a good taste (heart disease runs in his family).

So we're trying for a family and initially he trotted out the tired old trope "it's not healthy you need meat to grow" etc. Considering that he's gained 2stone over the winter and I have not that last bit may be true - though perhaps it's not the sort of growth he was thinking of. Recently he's been a lot quieter on these issues. But that doesn't mean he'll be supportive of a veg*n diet for a child.

Personally I'm in two minds about this as well. On the one hand I want any child to have the best possible start in life but on the other hand this diet (and to an extent the lifestyle) have been a very personal choice for me. So is it right for me to make this decision for someone else? Should I trust them to come to their own conclusions ...

I really don't have any answers on how to tackle this. I just know that I'm not done thinking it through myself or discussing it with the fiance.
#69 Old 03-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Enjoying life!

It can work. Just as people of opposite faiths can marry, raise children, and be genuinely happy. My aunt is vegetarian and her husband is not, they have been married for about 40 years, and are still so blissfully happy.

I'm transitioning into veganism and my husband is omni, though, he eats whatever I prepare and cook - so often times he is eating vegetarian anyway. But we do have a daughter who is 3-years old, and as of now, she is also omni but enjoys vegetarian dishes as her daddy. My advice is, to sit down and discuss the issue with your partner, without judgment or pointing fingers, and work something out that you can both agree on. It's doable.
#70 Old 03-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post
Food for thought. I'm having very similar discussions to you Brookgirl - my fiance is an omnivore and I am not.

Recently he's been eating more veg*n food (because a while back I stopped making him a meat option along side my veggie one). My food is generally more tasty and appetizing than his (he's quite reliant on stuff that comes out of the freezer or a packet). Also when we have made the same dish (e.g. chili or lasagna) then you can see how much healthier the veg*n option is. The lasagna last week was a case in point. His was swimming in fat and mine was packed with veg and fresh colours and flavour and crucially not in a sea of grease. He was also shocked by how much salt he had to add to his to get a good taste (heart disease runs in his family).

So we're trying for a family and initially he trotted out the tired old trope "it's not healthy you need meat to grow" etc. Considering that he's gained 2stone over the winter and I have not that last bit may be true - though perhaps it's not the sort of growth he was thinking of. Recently he's been a lot quieter on these issues. But that doesn't mean he'll be supportive of a veg*n diet for a child.

Personally I'm in two minds about this as well. On the one hand I want any child to have the best possible start in life but on the other hand this diet (and to an extent the lifestyle) have been a very personal choice for me. So is it right for me to make this decision for someone else? Should I trust them to come to their own conclusions ...

I really don't have any answers on how to tackle this. I just know that I'm not done thinking it through myself or discussing it with the fiance.
If things get tense and he is unwilling to give in and you don't wish to make it more difficult you could always let the child choose later, although this may not be in favour of a veg*n diet... My daughter made the decision herself at the age of 7. Saying that I do wish I raised my children as vegans from birth.

#71 Old 03-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Lovable misanthrope

I also think it depends on how strongly you feel re ethical side of things. If you are leading a vegan lifestyle for purely ethical reasons then living with an omni who also insists on your child being an omni will be equivalent to psychological torture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page