Convincing children to go vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2014, 06:13 AM
Beginner

Hi there!  I am newly vegan and I am wondering what is the best way to try to get your family members on board as well.  I have a husband, who is omni, and two kids...age 7 and 10.  My kids are pretty sensitive and thoughtful...but they have thus far been raised as omnivores.  How does one go about trying to educate young children about animal cruelty in animal agriculture?  Do you show your kids videos from factory farms?  Or is that really inappropriate for them?  I want to educate them...but I don't want to traumatize them.

Would love any advice you guys can give!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I would just cook delicious vegan food at first and say that you've given up eating animals because they are alive like us but that most people still eat them.

Pack them veggie school lunches that are cool and have treats (bento boxes are great).
You could take them to a farm animal rescue if there's one near you. I would not show factory farm videos yet. If they get too freaked out at a young age, I would worry. If they lecture their friends at school, there's a bullying risk, and I'd be concerned about eating disorders beginning at those ages if they start to fear eating or get grossed out or obsessed with food.

Make it fun, find some fun easy recipes that they can help prepare.
#3 Old 04-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Banned

Kids will eat whatever their family is eating so the only problem you'll have is if your husband isn't on board. Though they may complain a bit at first because you're changing their dietary habits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Beginner

Where do you get containers to make Bento boxes?
#5 Old 04-12-2014, 12:34 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

Kids will eat whatever their family is eating so the only problem you'll have is if your husband isn't on board. Though they may complain a bit at first because you're changing their dietary habits.

O.O not in my house when I was little.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 04-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

O.O not in my house when I was little.
What do you mean? Kids will pick up on the eating habits of the people around them but in modern culture there are some external influences (TV, etc) that may have to be managed.
#7 Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

What do you mean? Kids will pick up on the eating habits of the people around them but in modern culture there are some external influences (TV, etc) that may have to be managed.

I never "just ate" what my dad was eating. We made foods decisions together, I had equal day on what we bought. If we wanted something vastly different we ate separate things, and made our own meals. The types of food we liked were very different as well.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#8 Old 04-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

How about making the transition. Kid fun like veggies and dip smiley.gif
#9 Old 04-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

I never "just ate" what my dad was eating. We made foods decisions together, I had equal day on what we bought. If we wanted something vastly different we ate separate things, and made our own meals. The types of food we liked were very different as well.
Yes but you learned about foods from your culture and your dad was letting you, for whatever reason, deviate from his food traditions and that deviation became your families food tradition. Admittedly, as I mentioned, in American culture parents have to contend with outside influence from the food industry but the degree to which children are exposed to this depends on other parental choices so overall the parents are in a very strong position to control their kids eating habits. So, I think, the biggest challenge the OP would have is her husband not being on-board with the program. That is particularly true if any of the kids are male.

Personally I think allowing kids have a say about their diet is a rather peculiar, they don't understand the long-term consequences of poor dietary habits and will gravitate towards highly addictive foods (i.e., junk foods) due to their underlying psychology.
#10 Old 04-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugvet View Post

Where do you get containers to make Bento boxes?
Amazon has a selection, like these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B78WO3U/ref=mw_dp_mdsc?dsc=1&qid=1397334445&sr=8-1
y9uqusyh.jpg

There's so many different kinds, stainless steel (more $ but nice), I have even gotten a small plastic one at the Dollar Store for a buck. I look for dishwasher/microwave safe because I'm lazy. grin.gif

4u6u5usu.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B59PVT0/ref=mw_dp_mdsc?dsc=1&qid=1397334780&sr=8-12

I have bought bento stuff from this site (warning: bento stuff is cute and addicting grin.gif, plus I bring a bento to work most days). They have really cute kids' bento stuff. http://www.jbox.com/product/FK1148
y7u3yte4.jpg

smiley.gif As you can see I like the bento idea, and they hold a lot more food than it may appear by their size. smiley.gif
#11 Old 04-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

Yes but you learned about foods from your culture and your dad was letting you, for whatever reason, deviate from his food traditions and that deviation became your families food tradition. Admittedly, as I mentioned, in American culture parents have to contend with outside influence from the food industry but the degree to which children are exposed to this depends on other parental choices so overall the parents are in a very strong position to control their kids eating habits. So, I think, the biggest challenge the OP would have is her husband not being on-board with the program. That is particularly true if any of the kids are male.

Personally I think allowing kids have a say about their diet is a rather peculiar, they don't understand the long-term consequences of poor dietary habits and will gravitate towards highly addictive foods (i.e., junk foods) due to their underlying psychology.

Your habit of over simplifying is amazing, and you don't give children enough credit.

Quote:
#12 Old 04-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:

Your habit of over simplifying is amazing, and you don't give children enough credit.
What have I oversimplified? All I've suggested is that children learn about their food culture primarily from their parents and secondly from their greater community which in the US includes mass media. So, as such, the biggest source of problems is likely to be a husband that isn't on-board.

What should I credit to children that I haven't? Children are intellectual underdeveloped and need a lot of guidance.
#13 Old 04-22-2014, 05:18 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah Its true, back           when I first  went veg, my daughter did too, shes seven she had not trouble transitioning she even goes and helps me pick out the food for the week some times.now im slowly working her towards vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page