Newly vegan kid is hungry all the time! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 AM

Hi, I am brand new here - so glad to have found this community!

My 9 year old daughter is a new vegan, I think it's been about 4-5 days.  (Her father and I also went vegan with her.) We are lucky that she is a great eater - loves beans, loves all fruits and veggies, loves tofu and non dairy milks.  She's also very committed to this because she loves animals.

The problem is, she is so hungry.  She eats all day long, which is fine - I provide healthy meals and snacks for her so I am not worried about what she is eating or how much.  But, she wakes up at night crying that she is hungry, too!

(Literally crying, saying her tummy hurts "so bad", but after she eats she is OK and goes back to sleep.)

Is this normal for an adjustment to veganism?  Before going vegan we were definitely SAD eaters, lots of dairy and meat, lots of fast food. 

Is there something I can do to help her or prevent this from happening?  I was thinking a higher fat/protein snack before bed, but other than peanut butter I need some ideas.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't get hungry easily when I went vegan, although I think it's quite common for others because meals without meat//dairy/eggs/honey (honey made me feel full but sluggish) are easier to digest. Fiber, protein and fat are filling, so giving her foods which are high in them can keep her satisfied until the morning.

A few of my favourites:

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#3 Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

She might be adjusting, so I say just work with it and give it some time, and likely her system will settle out. THis is like what happeend with me and going to college

My meal plan allows for 2 meals a day, but at home I eat like 5 @[email protected] so when I was limited to 2 meals a day I was hungry a LOT (I actually could have switched to unlimited but I wanted to see if I could work the 2 meals a day thing). After a week or two, my system finally started to settle itself out and get used to 2 meals a day. It would stretch out the duration of wanting to eat so that 2 meals a day was feasible.

That's not the same thing as what is going on here, but I'm just trying to say, with every change, our system needs time to adjust. Give it time, and likely her system will settle out.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

My son used to eat a bowl of cereal and banana with soymilk before bed when he was that age. It can be hard to get enough calories into an active growing vegan; three meals don't do it, they have to eat often. Don't be afraid to let her drink fruit juice. Avocado is nice and filling, baked potato with whatever she likes on it sticks with her. Cook her foods with some oil. smiley.gif
#5 Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to amp up my kids food sometimes, because they eat like birds once in a while.

Bagels with peanut butter, avocado, coconut, protein bars, bananas, and throwing a bit of oil into things seems to help and fills them up

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#6 Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Since going vegan my kid is really eating more! He often says he's hungry and he's asking for snacks all the time even if he ate to his fill at lunch or dinner. Myself is filling hungrier but I don't feel bad at eating a fruit or veggies between meals. I think it's about getting used to eating more of the right things. Healthy snacks are fine, it's even part of a normal diet. I'm even considering making a good light veggie soup for those hungry evenings because it's good, comforting and so cheap on the grocery bill.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#7 Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM

I think it's cravings. I had them bad when I started, your body looks for what used to make you full, which if you were like me was alot of processed and fried crap. When I switched up I ate constantly, but still lost weight. When I was hungry I put down apples, bananas, gronola and tons of water. It may be an adjustment period.
#8 Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Zelda Freak

My son was vegetarian from birth. He's mostly vegan now, since I switched to vegan this summer. I think the hunger thing could be one of three things.... 

One - she's a kid and kids eat a lot, all day long. My son has always been a light eater. But when he turned 9 or 10 or so he started being a lot more hungry all the time. He's a grazer, which means he liked to eat three light meals a day, plus a lot of little snacks here and there. He also usually wants food before bed.He doesn't usually complain that he's hungry as he's eating little bits all day long. 

Two - she's not interested in bed. I've noticed that when my son doesn't want to go to bed / stay in bed, he'll say stuff like, "I'm starving to death." if you give him food he'll start to eat it, but then nod off. I think that he's trying to eat to stay awake and to have an excuse to stay awake. 

Three - junk food diets or SAD diets are typically super high calorie. My roommates kids were on a total SAD diet (for around 11-13 years) until he moved in with me and I said, no way am I letting kids eat nothing but crap and fast food. The result, the kids started eating better, including mostly vegetarian and vegan food, but they claimed to be hungry all the time. No wonder - the typical kid fast food meal has 900+ calories while other homemade junk meals can have many more than that even. Those are not appropriate calorie amounts for kids, but because they were used to high calorie meals and snacks, they were hungry at first when they started eating better. It took years of them eating better to get used to better, proper portion sizes, so I'd just stick with it. Serve healthy food, serve proper portions and find healthy snacks she likes that she can have whenever. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#9 Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Riot Nrrrd

My go-to filling snack is potato. Microwaved and mashed, nothing added but a bit of water to make them easy to mash and salt to season. Between eating them this way and making oven fries I go through 5 pounds a week. I never get around to making other potato based dishes.

Another good filling snack I eat quite a bit are oven roasted beans. Roasted chickpeas are a favorite on the internet, but you can use any bean.

My theory on why a new vegan kid would be hungry all the time: high fiber food is more filling immediately, but is often less calorie dense than the high fat/low fiber SAD staples. This fact works FOR dieters, but AGAINST growing kids, who feel full in the near term but need refueling.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#10 Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM

When I am hungry, I often fill up with popcorn (air-popped, with no salt or butter). Now I have to make sure that it is non-GMO as well. 

Jennifer C likes this.
#11 Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Roasted chickpeas? I need to look that up, what a good nutritious idea.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#12 Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post

Yum and youbcan flavor tjem so many different ways. I like them.spicy! smiley.gif
#13 Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

↑↑Oops typing on phone after a glass of wine (large). blush.gif ↑↑
#14 Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post

I like roasting them and dehydrating them - either way they make an awesome snack.

My favorite thing to do with them- toss them in cumin, black pepper, and curry powder before roasting or dehydrating them.lick.gif

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#15 Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM

Whenever you give her beans, also give rice and vice versa. Nutritionally they complete each other and should never be eaten alone. A good balance between the two should make for a filling meal that will easily metabolize quell hunger. If you find a good recipe, it will also be very delicious with the right rice, beans, and spices.

#16 Old 02-15-2013, 06:23 AM

Thank you for all your tips and ideas.  We have now been vegan for a month and that hunger at night thing is no longer an issue, thankfully.  I guess it was just an adjustment to going from a high fat, high protein diet to a plant based diet.  We do make sure to give her a good snack with a little protein, starch and fat about 30 min before bed.  She really likes cubes of marinated and baked tofu, crackers and an apple.  PB and banana seems to work well, also.  Her other favorite is a piece of fruit and a handful of cashews.

Again, thank you. 

#17 Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candel View Post

Whenever you give her beans, also give rice and vice versa. Nutritionally they complete each other and should never be eaten alone.

What?

#18 Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candel View Post

Whenever you give her beans, also give rice and vice versa. Nutritionally they complete each other and should never be eaten alone. A good balance between the two should make for a filling meal that will easily metabolize quell hunger. If you find a good recipe, it will also be very delicious with the right rice, beans, and spices.

This information is a little outdated. One does not need to "combine foods" for complete proteins. Rice or beans are fine on their own. smiley.gif
ewcollins likes this.
#19 Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

This information is a little outdated. One does not need to "combine foods" for complete proteins. Rice or beans are fine on their own. smiley.gif

Thanks. Even Frances Moore Lappé admitted that the obsession with combining food is not necessary to get adequate balanced protein.

I know people who often eat mono-meals, i.e., only one food per meal. I have occassionally done this myself, e.g., only apples or only bananas or only canteloupes, etc.

#20 Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewcollins View Post

When I am hungry, I often fill up with popcorn (air-popped, with no salt or butter). Now I have to make sure that it is non-GMO as well. 

Jolly Time 100% Organic popcorn is USDA Organic and therefore non-GMO - http://www.jollytime.com/products/items/view?object=538

Although this product may exist, I still cannot find it anywhere.

#21 Old 03-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Banned

Incomplete proteins do have to be combined, just not in a single meal. But proteins don't float around for long, there is no protein storage like there is for fat and glucose, so your daily diet should involve complementary proteins.

A number of legumes have complete proteins though....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in