Baby food - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone my baby girls is now almost 9 months, I make her own babyfood - was just wondering which veg have the most protein in? 

How did you make your babies food?

Can I blend beans into the veg?

Sorry for the stupid questions just need some guidance.

I usually use a combination of the following :

sweet potato, green beans or brocolli, pumpkin, squash, butternut and carrots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

She looks adorable!

I used the gross jar stuff with my son because I didn't know any better. He didn't like it and became a picky eater.

My daughter I tried a different approach. I blended up what I was eating. Whatever I made for lunch or dinner for myself, became her pureed meal. I just put it in the blender with a bit of water or soymilk and pureed it. If I had bean and avocado tacos I would blend the beans, tomatoes, and avocados. If I had lasagna I blended it up. She loved it and as a result, she adapted well to our family meals.

I made a bunch of "to-go" jars too. I would make squashes, beans, apples, pears, peas, etc... and store them in my freezer.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#3 Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I gave my son beans around that age. Mashed them up and added a bit of water or soymilk to make them nice and smooth. He loved it.

We did all kinds of beans - pinto, black, lima, soy, lentils, split peas, chick peas, etc. Luckily, he liked them all! And now at age 3 he still loves beans. I'm so happy because I love beans too and also because beans are a staple of a healthy vegan diet. It's much more difficult (not impossible though) to eat vegan without beans.

Also, I gave mashed tofu for protein at that age. He liked it best just cold and plain. Now of course he prefers it cooked and flavored, but back then he was a purist ;)

I did not introduce commercial veg proteins until after a year of age (so no blended vegan chickn nuggets or blended veggie hot dogs). But we did have fun when we started with those. He really likes gardein chickn strips. I can't remember exactly when we started doing the commercial vegan yogurts but those are really nice for convenient protein.

Yes, you can mix veggies or fruits together. Generally though, introduce the food on it's own in the morning and watch for allergic reactions (you don't want to give a new food at dinner because then if there's an allergic reaction it's going to be at night which is more inconvenient and expensive to deal with at the ER... or worse, you might be asleep and miss the reaction!). After the kiddo is eating foods separately without reaction, then you can mix them together without worry.

Maybe pick up a copy of Super Baby Foods from the library. My local nonprofit baby center had it in their library and I browsed through it and found it to be useful. It has a vegetarian leaning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

This is really cool, especially for teething babies. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005KWL0OI/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1358440182&sr=1-1&pi=SL75ubabu3e2.jpg

When my kids were babies, I pureed fruits and veg, added grains like rice or barley.
I used sonmething like this ↓, very cheap and portable. I used to make extra puree and freeze in ice cube trays, then when frozen, pop the cubes into a freezer bag. I love the Magic Bullet and if I had a baby today, I would want one of those.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000067Q6J/ref=aw_d_iv_baby-products?is=l&qid=1358440182&sr=1-10
enajebys.jpg
#5 Old 01-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

Hi everyone my baby girls is now almost 9 months, I make her own babyfood - was just wondering which veg have the most protein in? 

This link might interest you! http://www.livestrong.com/article/363483-list-of-veggies-with-high-protein/

I was making my own baby food in the food processor. Freezing them in ice cube trays makes things easy!

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page