Switching 3 year old to vegetarian diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Beginner

With daycare, the transition has been kind of rough.  His daycare seemed to be very happy about providing a vegetarian lunch for him, but they haven't gotten all the stuff to follow the menu that they gave me that they said that they will feed him.

My son is not crazy about beans, but he will eat them if there is nothing else.  But for the last 3 days it has been nothing but beans at the daycare for lunch!  His teacher meantioned the last couple of days how he says he wants to eat what the other kids are eating (today was fish sticks for them) and DS only got re-fried beans.  He was SUPPOSED to get a garden burger. 

Yesterday they had tacos with meat, and DS only got refried beans.  Day before it was....you guess it, refried beans. 

Teacher said that he was asking for the meat and crying because he didn't want to eat his beans.  I don't blame him for wanting the fish sticks and ground meat!  Wouldn't you if you only got refried beans day in and day out? 

He is used to eating the daycare lunches with everybody else.  Up until two weeks ago, he was eating the meat and everything like all the other kids.  But I went vegetarian myself and have no desire to eat meat.  At first I was thinking that it would be a good idea to raise my son vegetarian, but now I am thinking that maybe I should let him eat the regular lunches at daycare, but of course at home he will only get vegetarian.  He will eat meat when he goes to visit his dad too every other weekend.  I can't stop that.

I don't know, I am just starting to think that maybe forcing my own beliefs on him is not the right thing to do? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

The daycare needs to feed him decent food. It is a shame that they started out unprepared, and now your son thinks the other food looks better.

Maybe you could keep some chikken nuggets or pizza in the freezer there, for when he hates what they serve.

Whatever you decide, please feel certain that feeding your son vegetarian *is* a good thing for him. Despite the negativity that will flow your way. And you aren't forcing your beliefs, you are being a mom and instilling values and nutrition in your son. I hope everything calms down! smiley.gif
#3 Old 07-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

When all the kids eat one thing and the veg kid eats something else it can make things tough. We had that problem with our son, too. And he loves beans. Its just that he wants to try every kind of food. And when he sees things like chicken nuggets he thinks they're the veggie chick nuggets we make at home. And of course, antiveg teachers can make things worse.

We solved it by changing to a different preschool where all the kids bring their own lunches and the teachers are better educated (less ignorant about veganism). Food issues at school now: So far so good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Beginner

Thanks guys.  I wrote that at 2AM because I wroke up fretting about it.  I kept asking myself...."is it really the best thing for him", and then the what-ifs started up and I knew I needed to talk so SOMEONE about the subject.  Unfortunately, I have noone in person I can talk to, I know no other vegetarians other than myself. 

Fortunately, his teacher used to be a vegetarian, but now eats chicken, so she has actually been helpful, but she can not help it if the school won't get the supplies he needs to eat a healthy vegetarian diet! 

So I decided to start taking meals for him, Boca nuggets, Chick'n patties, Lightlife hotdogs, whatever.  I felt so bad for DS when I was told he ate refried beans for 3 days in a row....I also was kind of pissed! 

Elain: what daycare do you use, is it a chain that I might possibly find around here?

#5 Old 07-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Zelda Freak

I think sending vegetarian kids with packed lunches is the best call. Day cares and schools have horrid food anyhow in most cases, even if your kid is a meat eater.

I've always sent Cedar to places where packed lunches are the norm AND where healthy food is seen as normal - i.e. Waldorf-based, child led, democratic-based schools and day cares. Plus, I buy my son killer lunch gear - like really cute reusable bento boxes and cool water bottles so he feels like lunch is awesome, not different from everyone else's. 

His healthy lunches have inspired him to eat well and the other kids actually end up wanting to trade but he won't :) 

You can't go wrong with packing lunches. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#6 Old 07-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

I think sending vegetarian kids with packed lunches is the best call. Day cares and schools have horrid food anyhow in most cases, even if your kid is a meat eater.

I've always sent Cedar to places where packed lunches are the norm AND where healthy food is seen as normal - i.e. Waldorf-based, child led, democratic-based schools and day cares. Plus, I buy my son killer lunch gear - like really cute reusable bento boxes and cool water bottles so he feels like lunch is awesome, not different from everyone else's. 

His healthy lunches have inspired him to eat well and the other kids actually end up wanting to trade but he won't :) 

You can't go wrong with packing lunches. 

This. I raised two kids who never ate school lunches. There's a bento thread on here with great lunch ideas, you could check that out. Kids love cute food. grin.gif
#7 Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with packing his lunch. That way you have total control over what he will be eating in day care. At my kids' preschool I always pack them lunch.

I get a lot of feedback from the teachers about their lunches too. They are blown away that my kids eat raw broccoli and fruit and nuts.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page