So proud of my teen veggie! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

My daughter was 7 when I joined VB. I've been here on again and off again as I've struggled with being vegetarian for a little over 8 years. My then elementary aged child is now nearly 16 and a junior in high school. Time flies!

She is now, by her own choice, a very committed vegetarian trying to make the transition to vegan (we are strictly vegetarian at home, but will make dairy exceptions when dining out or dining at the homes of friends for now).

Yesterday her AP Chemistry class had a mandatory study session at a local university. It was an all day long event. The students were told that lunch would be provided. Upon further questioning my daughter was told that it was being catered by Chick-fil-A and there would not be a vegetarian option.

Fine. No problem. She and one other girl (vegan) coordinated and decided to pack lunches that they could share. My daughter packed a quinoa, black bean, corn and spinach salad, vegetables and hummus, apple sauce, fruit juice, and water.

Lunch time at the event rolled around and the woman in charge of the catering was seriously offended that my daughter wouldn't take a chicken sandwich. Here's the conversation:

Woman: You need to take a sandwich.
DD: I brought my lunch.
Woman: Why would you bring your lunch when you knew we'd be serving lunch?
DD: I'm a vegetarian.
Woman: That doesn't make any sense. Take a sandwich.
DD: I brought my lunch! I don't eat the rotting flesh of dead animals.
Woman: Well we ordered one sandwich for each participant. It is wasteful if you don't take it.
DD: Then maybe you should have asked for RSVPs for lunch. But either way I don't eat dead animals.
Woman: Well fine!

Then the woman turns to my daughter's friend (vegan) and says, "Here's your sandwich, Dear."

Now DD's friend is very very quiet and shy, she rarely speaks above a whisper. She quietly said, "I'm a vegetarian, too."

Woman: What???
DD: She said she doesn't eat rotting flesh either!

Being a vegetarian here in Alabama is tough. The idea of not eating meat is so foreign to these people. It is like living on the set of the Paula Deen show.

But I am really quite proud of my daughter for not mincing words, and for not allowing herself or her much quieter friend to be bullied on the topic of vegetarianism.

Oh ... and apparently one of her teachers was recently diagnosed with some coronary issues and DD suggested that she read The China Study and look into the PCRM. The teacher is now working on transitioning her diet to be mostly meat and dairy free. She hasn't committed to going vegetarian yet - but she's an old (literally in her late 60s) Southern woman so it might take her a while.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I salute you daughter.
It's good to know that young 'uns can stand up for themselves.

Also:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope that when it comes time that my son is making his own decisions, that he will stand up just like this

I can't imagine people being so rude about it though. Where I live, a simple 'no thanks' would probably shut most everyone up. I hope things get easier for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post

...Then the woman turns to my daughter's friend (vegan) and says, "Here's your sandwich, Dear."

Now DD's friend is very very quiet and shy, she rarely speaks above a whisper. She quietly said, "I'm a vegetarian, too."

Honestly, this bit cracked me up. Make sure to tell your wonderful daughter that she made my day!!!

Eat Your Vegetables
#5 Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

I'm also very proud of her!
Chick-fil-a is infiltrating schools with their "charitiable" works.
Not only do they advocate animal abuse, they're also against human rights with their work to opprese gay rights.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 01-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post

My daughter was 7 when I joined VB. I've been here on again and off again as I've struggled with being vegetarian for a little over 8 years. My then elementary aged child is now nearly 16 and a junior in high school. Time flies!

She is now, by her own choice, a very committed vegetarian trying to make the transition to vegan (we are strictly vegetarian at home, but will make dairy exceptions when dining out or dining at the homes of friends for now).

Yesterday her AP Chemistry class had a mandatory study session at a local university. It was an all day long event. The students were told that lunch would be provided. Upon further questioning my daughter was told that it was being catered by Chick-fil-A and there would not be a vegetarian option.

Fine. No problem. She and one other girl (vegan) coordinated and decided to pack lunches that they could share. My daughter packed a quinoa, black bean, corn and spinach salad, vegetables and hummus, apple sauce, fruit juice, and water.

Lunch time at the event rolled around and the woman in charge of the catering was seriously offended that my daughter wouldn't take a chicken sandwich. Here's the conversation:

Woman: You need to take a sandwich.
DD: I brought my lunch.
Woman: Why would you bring your lunch when you knew we'd be serving lunch?
DD: I'm a vegetarian.
Woman: That doesn't make any sense. Take a sandwich.
DD: I brought my lunch! I don't eat the rotting flesh of dead animals.
Woman: Well we ordered one sandwich for each participant. It is wasteful if you don't take it.
DD: Then maybe you should have asked for RSVPs for lunch. But either way I don't eat dead animals.
Woman: Well fine!

Then the woman turns to my daughter's friend (vegan) and says, "Here's your sandwich, Dear."

Being a vegetarian here in Alabama is tough. The idea of not eating meat is so foreign to these people. It is like living on the set of the Paula Deen show.

But I am really quite proud of my daughter for not mincing words, and for not allowing herself or her much quieter friend to be bullied on the topic of vegetarianism.

Oh ... and apparently one of her teachers was recently diagnosed with some coronary issues and DD suggested that she read The China Study and look into the PCRM. The teacher is now working on transitioning her diet to be mostly meat and dairy free. She hasn't committed to going vegetarian yet - but she's an old (literally in her late 60s) Southern woman so it might take her a while.

Thanks for the chuckle. It sounds like the woman is of the mind that "It's chicken, ergo it's vegetarian." They should've had a vegetarian option, for people who don't eat meat for religious or health reasons, though.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#7 Old 01-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Ha ha, this is awesome!
#8 Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Banned

That's great! I'm a vegetarian (I'm 15), and I don't know if I'd have had the courage to do that. I'd probably just shyly keep saying I'm a vegetarian, but I'm really awkward and care a LOT what teachers think of me so I'd be timid, but you're daughter is defintiely a role model, sticking up for herself AND her friend, and not caring what others think; prioritizing her morals above everything else and following through in showing so in actions as well as words!
#9 Old 01-31-2012, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

this is amazing!!! What a great spokesperson in the deep south! your daughter is brave and outspoken, and sticks to her guns- good for her. I would be so proud of my kids.

on another note: WTF mandatory chick-fil-a for kids? Meat aside- its greasy, fried horribleness that is not nutrition. Even if we did eat meat- I wouldn't let my kids eat that.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#10 Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, everyone!

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page