11 ways to share our veg values with our kids - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

There's an article at Our Hen House about raising kids.
http://www.ourhenhouse.org/2012/01/h...gan-landscape/
It's worth a read.

I liked this list of things we veg parents can do to help share our veg values with our kids:
Quote:
1.Read books and watch movies that affirm and reinforce vegan values. VegBooks lists over 500 titles.

2.Visit an animal sanctuary. Exposing vegan kids to rescued farm animals is so important it helps them make the connection between their cruelty-free lifestyle and the animals they are saving.

3.Get together with local veg families so that your kids will have the opportunity to meet other like-minded kids, and youll get to meet other like-minded parents. If you live in the NYC area, join my meet-up group: NYC Vegetarian and Vegan Families. If a meet-up group like that doesnt exist in your area, think about starting one.

4.Show your kids the power of activism! If they feel strongly about a specific animal or issue, encourage them to join a protest, write a letter to a newspaper, have a vegan bake sale, hand out literature, or create an art project. This will empower them and teach them to be a voice for the voiceless.

5.Search for websites and blogs about raising veg kids. Many of them, including my own, RaisingVegKids.com, offer resources, articles, and support for vegan families.

6.Make holidays special. Instead of focusing on what kids cant do or eat, make vegan versions of traditional dishes, and even crafts. For example, make a vegan gingerbread house or egg-free potato latkes, and color papier-mâché Easter eggs.

7.Cook and bake delicious vegan recipes with your kids. Order the book, Vegan Lunchbox.

8.When dining out at a non-vegan restaurant, look to the side dishes (instead of the meat- and dairy-heavy kids menu), where youll find healthy and yummy choices such as veggies, beans, rice, etc.

9.Adopt a rescued farm animal (virtually). Farm Sanctuary will send you a picture of an animal of your choice with some fun details about him or her. Your kids can frame it and keep it in their room, and even visit their adopted animal at the sanctuary. They can even bring the picture to school and tell their classmates all about it, effectively spreading the message. Of course, if you have the space, adopt a real rescued farm animal whom kids can help care for and love.

10.Be an active parent when it comes to birthday parties and school events. Find out what is being served, and if its not vegan, make or buy a similar vegan version so that your child will not feel left out. Make enough for the other kids, too, so that they can see first-hand how delicious compassion can taste.

11.Show your kids that being vegan is fun! Make vegan pancakes on the weekend, or have a vegan pizza party on a school night. Make things like DIY vegan ice cream sundaes, or, on movie night, popcorn with vegan butter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

This is awesome, thanks for sharing! The idea of my future kids growing up to eat meat definitely scares me, it's nice to have some tips on how to sway them towards compassion.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 PM

Thank you for this! These are all great ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
8.When dining out at a non-vegan restaurant, look to the side dishes (instead of the meat- and dairy-heavy kids menu), where youll find healthy and yummy choices such as veggies, beans, rice, etc.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

That list seems like a bunch of obvious stuff to me.
#6 Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

That list seems like a bunch of obvious stuff to me.

Yes, it is obvious to those of us who grew up veg and/or who are raising ethical veg kids, but to many people it is not obvious. So we have to point it out. I mean, seriously, I get people asking questions like "How will he know about Easter eggs?" And I have to remind them that they use plastic eggs themselves! It's really funny the things people will say because the whole concept is new to them. It's just like I have to say over and over and over again that "I get plenty of protein by eating beans, nuts, seeds, and their products." Because to many people, it's not obvious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page