What is the chicken soup of the vegetarian world? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Banned

My 4 year old son has a slight cold. Usually I would make chicken soup for nutrition/comfort during sickness. What vegetarian soups or other foods do you fix when your children are sick?

I gave him cooked squash last night. He ate a few bites and then said he didn't like it. Maybe blending veggies would make them more appealing for a child? He is not on a vegetarian diet, I just don't want to buy meat or prepare it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2011, 12:44 AM
mlp
Banned

Noodle soup with a stock made from vegetables, or, for a shortcut, using veggie bullion. That's my comfort food soup. For eggless fine noodles, I use either Asian noodles, or most Hispanic groceries have fine soup noodles that don't contain egg.

Homemade mashed potatoes are also always appealing to me when I'm sick.
#3 Old 06-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Ira
Banned

there is that canned soup. it is called Amy's soup, one of them is a "chicken" soup. i usually use it for myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Banned

deleted

#5 Old 06-12-2011, 03:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I love eating miso soup! It's quick, cheap and easy to make, not mentioning the various health benefits of miso.

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#6 Old 06-12-2011, 03:46 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

I love tofu noodle soup! Basically like chicken noodle soup but with tofu instead of chicken and vegetable stock instead of chicken broth.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#7 Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Red lentil soup, filling, warming, comfort food. Really easy to make too - cook red lentils, drain, add can of chopped tomatoes and veg stock and a bit of salt, and any other herbs or spices you like. Puree. Done.
#8 Old 06-12-2011, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

At the bulk barn here you can buy vegetarian chicken noodle soup mix in (suprise) bulk! It isn't super nutritious though...heh...just comforting and tasty.
Usually when i'm under the weather I like to have vegetarian vegetable soup. The kind with the little squares of vegetables and the pastas in the shapes of letters. That is sadly, one of the ultimate comfort foods for me. Campbell's has a vegetarian vegetable, as well as Heinz(hard to find for some reason) and Walmart brand just to start
If you are up to cooking hodgepodge with cubed veggies or corn chowder. Less kid friendly though.

Aside from the soups above, another comfort food for me include cheesy mashed potatoes(Mashed potatoes with milk butter and cheese grated and melted in, whipped to be smooth with no lumps), grilled cheese and tomato soup and when I was a child especially, a banana and strawberry smoothie. In general smoothies are great when you are sick, packed with vitamins and so tasty it's like getting a treat.

Hope I helped and your little one feels better soon!
#9 Old 06-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Banned

Lots of good ideas for veggie comfort food. Thanks
#10 Old 06-15-2011, 05:13 PM
adapt. evolve. become

No-chicken noodle soup tastes amazing to me.

All we are is dust in the wind
#11 Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

MISO! You don't have to put the tofu and seaweed in. Often I put chopped veggies in instead. Good for what ails you.
#12 Old 06-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not a soup, but I always drink chamomile-ginger tea. I also make my friends drink it when they're sick.

It's super simple...

Chamomile, or chamomile blend tea bag.
1-3 inches of fresh ginger root

Brew your standard chamomile tea.

Peel the ginger root, and grate it on a cheese grater. Take care to keep the juices as you grates. once grates, squeeze all the juice from the ginger that you can. Pour the juice into the tea, and add sugar. I like mine extra sweet.

The ginger and chamomile both sooth an upset stomach very well. Plus, both naturally support your immune system.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#13 Old 06-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Another vote for miso soup!
#14 Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

#15 Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Reader's Digest (not a vegetarian advocacy magazine) had an article some years ago about colds and what really helps with a cold. They discussed chicken soup, and found that it is really helpful. But they found that it had nothing to do with the chicken content of the soup. Rather, it was the vegetables--the onions, the carrots, etc.--that were the reason it was so helpful, providing comfort, nutrition, etc. So find a good recipe for chicken soup and just leave out the chicken (and any other ingredients you find inappropriate).

BTW, they also found echanacea angustifolia (sp?) drops (in tea or a warm drink) to be helpful.
#16 Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

I've heard that tomato soup is better when you're sick. It may have to do with the salt too.
#17 Old 06-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

How about lentil soup? Miso soup would be great too, or just a plain veggie soup with broth, celery, carrots, and noodles.
#18 Old 06-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I love this soup. Definitely use veg broth instead of water.
#19 Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

I dont have kids, but I make myself potato soup when I'm sick, with potatoes, carrots, sometimes maybe lentils, and a little bit of chipotle spice to open up the nasal passages with out burning my mouth :P

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#20 Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

This is my go-to soup when I am feeling under the weather.

Pasta soup:

2 TB olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic
6 cups broth of your choice (I've used veggie broth, water with McKay's chicken seasoning, and no chicken bullion, the bullion is my favorite)
Italian seasoning to taste
9 or so ounces pasta
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 normal can diced tomatoes
8 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
Salt and Pepper

Heat oil in large pot, add onions and garlic, cook until soft. And broth and seasoning, boil for five minutes. Add cooked pasta and tomatoes, simmer five more minutes. Add spinach, cook until wilted.

You can use whatever pasta you like. I like spiral pasta, but you could use anything, really. If you get refrigerated tortellini, you don't have to cook it separately before throwing it in.

If you are really sniffly, add extra garlic and spices. Makes your nose run and clears out all the gunk.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#21 Old 06-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Banned

I just bought the Veganomicon cookbook. I'll try out the soup
#22 Old 06-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayatree View Post

I've never been disappointed by a recipe in there. I like the Cheater Baked Beans, Chickpea Cutlets, and Chickpea-Quinoa Pilaf the best!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#23 Old 06-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayatree View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

I've never been disappointed by a recipe in there. I like the Cheater Baked Beans, Chickpea Cutlets, and Chickpea-Quinoa Pilaf the best!

Don't forget the Penne Vodka, Leek and Bean Cassoulet, and Kale and Potato Enchiladas
#24 Old 06-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know much about kids' tastes, but I love miso soup instead of chicken when i'm sick. I preferred it even as an omnivore! Also, I like to make a really garlicky soup with greens and beans for myself if I'm feeling well enough. I think I posted my recipe on VB a while back and called it "Vegan Immunity Soup."
#25 Old 06-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Give peas a chance

I think the Chickpea Noodle Soup in Veganomicon is a really good comfort food. The only thing I don't like is that it says to use sliced mushrooms and those always turn out rubbery and unpleasant for me. I've started to mince them instead, but really you could probably leave them out. The saltiness of the miso is great when I'm under the weather.

Candied ginger or ginger tea are great too. On the tea, you can chop up some ginger root and use an infuser to pour hot water over it. If you add sugar it tastes like warm flat ginger ale. Ginger can help with nausea.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#26 Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

You said that you are vegetarian (not vegan) how about a nice egg-drop soup? Quick and easy to make.
#27 Old 06-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Top Ramen?
#28 Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Miso soup is not vegetarian. It uses fish and seaweed stock. (the ingredient Dashi is fish stock)

I love soup but im so bad at making them. If your good at making soup id say vegetable soup that uses a mixture of different vegetables they always taste good (as long as im not the one making them haha)
#29 Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

Miso soup is not vegetarian. It uses fish and seaweed stock. (the ingredient Dashi is fish stock)

I love soup but im so bad at making them. If your good at making soup id say vegetable soup that uses a mixture of different vegetables they always taste good (as long as im not the one making them haha)

Some versions are, as is homemade

For example: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/soups...r/MisoSoup.htm
#30 Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

It's mostly vegetarian in my experience, you just have to label read as with anything. I get vegan miso at Whole Foods and there are a few sushi places around here that don't add fish stock. It's the ultimate soup for colds.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page