What is the chicken soup of the vegetarian world? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

Miso soup is not vegetarian. It uses fish and seaweed stock. (the ingredient Dashi is fish stock)

Well if you get it at a restaurant, then yes, this is likely true. However, there are plenty of vegan miso soup recipes you can use to make it at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

When Im sick I try to cook anything spicy. I dont know if hes to young for it?
#33 Old 07-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Give peas a chance

Here is a photo of Chickpea Noodle Soup from Veganomicon. I think it's a great tasting alternative to chicken noodle soup. The broth is miso.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 07-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

Miso soup is not vegetarian. It uses fish and seaweed stock. (the ingredient Dashi is fish stock)

I love soup but im so bad at making them. If your good at making soup id say vegetable soup that uses a mixture of different vegetables they always taste good (as long as im not the one making them haha)

Wait a minute...

Miso soup is traditionally made with fish stock...
Vegetable soup is traditionally made with beef stock...

Why are you saying that it is okay to make vegetable soup, but not okay to make miso soup? It's not the name that makes it vegetarian, it's whether or not you add dead animal juices to it.

I also like making split pea soup, even though it is traditionally made with ham. I like making baked beans even though it is traditionally made with bacon. Shall I go on, or have I made my point?

To make yummy miso soup, all you need is a package of shiro miso from an Asian market. Miso is fermented soybean paste, and I've always found it in the refrigerated section. Look for the lightest color you can find. It really only costs a few bucks.

Boil a cup of water, and remove it from the heat. Stir in a TBSP of the miso paste. That's it! You have made a very basic miso soup! Normally, for a basic soup, you'd also add cubes of tofu and wakame seaweed. Seaweed is an acquired taste, and not really required for the soup.

Traditionally, in Japan, a family's or person's miso soup is rather unique. Different things are added to suit someone's tastes. Simmered pumpkin and some leafy greens are even used in place of tofu and seaweed. Many Japanese people add unique things to their soup.

Hazelnut's Awesome Miso Soup:

Simmer 2 cups of water with:
...a pinch of dried onions
...a pinch of dried garlic
...super thinly sliced wakame seaweed. I take the dry seaweed, and cut it into the tiniest pieces I can... like splinters... With a pair of cuticle scissors I only use for seaweed.

When everything looks fully hydrated, remove from heat. Let your broth rest a few moments. Stir in about a TBSP (more or less to taste) of your miso. If you purchased your miso from a health food store, you may need to add some salt.

Hazelnut's Awesome Miso Soup is best enjoyed in a big mug with a flexi-straw. Ignore the haters.

*** To better suit a western kid's tastes, leave out the seaweed, and add a very tiny sliver of vegetable bouillon cube. Still serve it in a big mug with a flexi straw!!!

Edited to add:
Miso soup has a way of settling... You feel you need to stir it with every sip. With a straw, you need only to blow out a tiny bubble to keep the soup stirred before every sip. I dare you to tell me that's not kid friendly!!!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#35 Old 07-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Going against the soupey grain, pasta with garlic butter is my go to ill food. Garlic is one of the few foods you can still taste through a cold and apparently very good for you, and the pasta is full of energy for recovering. Also it is somehow very easy on the stomach when you dont feel like "proper" food.
#36 Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE Amy's no chicken noodle. It is awesome. I also make a soup called fideo. You make it with very thin vermicelli type noodles. You sautee them in a bit of oil, add garlic and sautee for a few seconds. I then add a 6 cups of no chicken broth I make from a concentrated paste and 2 cans of tomato sauce. I add chipotle hot sauce to mine, but you wouldn't with him. I also add salt and pepper. It is very simple, but very comforting to me for some reason.
#37 Old 07-16-2011, 11:42 PM

Homemade miso (just do as Hazlenut said and get the paste). I usually add cut-up spinach to mine if guests don't enjoy seaweed. If I'm congested, I add some wasabi to clear my sinuses right up. Super delicious, majorly comforting, and it gets the job done. Lentil soup works great, too, but many kids are put off by lentils (especially if they've never had them).

If he's not feelin' soup, try a hearty marinara sauce on penne pasta. Super delicious, no twirling needed. I usually go for homemade, but they take a while. Just add bay leaves, lemon juice, garlic, and rosemary to any sauce you choose to brighten it up.
#38 Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

For me it's usually hummus. If I want something hot then it's tomato soup or pasta. Usually accompanied by lots of orange juice!

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#39 Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

I buy miso paste, or the white. I've used one tablespoon in boiling water and one tablespoon peanut butter, it cut the strong taste of miso. Your son may like that.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#40 Old 07-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Beginner

I don't have any kids but when I'm feeling too yucky to really cook anything myself, I love the no-chicken soup that others have mentioned. But I've made miso soup from the paste, added my own veggies, tried using both frozen veggies and fresh. The frozen ones tasted ok with the miso but fresh is always preferable if you've got the energy to chop everything up and stuff. I really want to get one of those slop-chop things. I'd probably be more likely to make more things from scratch then lol
#41 Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

You could try anything warm with a slight spice to it (not too much to make them go bleh) but it will get the nose cleared out for them temporarily!

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#42 Old 08-01-2011, 11:04 AM

Lentil soup with Indian spices (my son is 14 months so I don't make it toooo hot but def. get a bit of heat into it).
#43 Old 08-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

i go with hot spicy mushroom/rice/onion soup. when i say hot, i mean you are farting flames afterward . wow that stuff is so good!
#44 Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

there is that canned soup. it is called Amy's soup, one of them is a "chicken" soup. i usually use it for myself

"No Chicken Noodle Soup"
AMAZING!

To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana. -- Buddha
#45 Old 08-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

^ I'm not a fan, but that may be because I tried it when I was sick and I had no appetite.
#46 Old 08-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

It's been so long since I had chicken soup that I'm not sure what it tasted like, but I'd say miso soup comes at least close, as far as taste goes. I don't know how effective either one of them are at really helping a body fight off illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

i go with hot spicy mushroom/rice/onion soup. when i say hot, i mean you are farting flames afterward . wow that stuff is so good!

Ouch. Sometimes I have something hot/spicy when too much of my food has been bland and I want a change, but I want to taste my food- not feel it at the other end! And that has happened!

Seriously though, mushrooms have such a nice, delicate flavor that I'd hate to obliterate their taste.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#47 Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Miso soup, veg. ramen noodles, homemade potato soup (potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, maybe a bit of garlic, salt & pepper, with veg. bouillon broth), Amy's no chicken noodle soup, minestrone soup, lentil soup, vegetable curry (probably a mild one for your son)....there are so many.
#48 Old 08-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Occasionally I make seitan and rice soup, or chickpea noodle soup, but I like to go with tomato and rice soup, because it's what Dean's mom made for him when he was sick as a kid on Supernatural. Geeky? Yes. Tasty? Double yes.
#49 Old 08-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I make "chicken" soup using better than bouillon cubes. I add chopped carrots, some brocoli, mushrooms, celery, tiny cubes of tofu (or veg chicken strips)and barley or some soba noodles. So good. Kids love it!
#50 Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Try making a simple fruit smoothie, or juice fruit/veggie juices if you have a juicer. This has plenty of nutrients and goes down easy. Also, you can try pastina made with vegetable broth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page