Decided to try for a baby later this year! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone

I just really wanted to share this with someone and because we don't want to tell real life people yet I figured here is a great place to start.

My partner and I have decided to try for a baby later this year. I have been feeling clucky for several months but have been ignoring it because I always feel that 'the right thing' to do is to wait until we have our careers sorted. Then suddenly the other day I thought about it, why is that a good idea. Would it really matter if I got pregnant now.... the answer being no made me think why not try for a baby on purpose. So I asked my partner what he thought and he agreed with me.

So the only obstacle now is that I have some really really important exams in the first week of November. So we have decided that getting pregnant now would totally stuff those up and that is just silly seeing as I ahve already started working towards them. So we have decided that around August I will stop taking the pill and we will see what happens. That way if we do get pregnant I won't too far along during my exams which should hopefully mean I can do both at the same time esp as the first trimester is the quiet time. Other than morning sickness of course.

I am so so so excited. But I don't think I can tell any of my friends, they will all think I'm crazy and that this is a bad idea. I am only 22 and my partner is almost 23 but we love each other and have known we want babies for years. We have just been trying to finish uni first. My attitude is there are always excuses for not doing something.... so why not just take the plunge.

So here goes. I am now trying to get fit before we start trying for a baby. Having just spent 2 months travelling I have not done any exercise for a while and fit woman tend to have healthier pregnancies.

Will keep you updated when things start to happen!

And of course baby will be raised vegan at least initially. I want to raise baby fully vegan but will have to see what my lacto-ovo partner thinks about that. At the very least they will be vegetarian!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned

Wow NZV, what an amazing thread to open .You have both talked it through and planned the best time for the arrival . Wish you well with your fitness program.
#3 Old 02-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZVeggie View Post

My attitude is there are always excuses for not doing something.... so why not just take the plunge.

I love that!

I know people that have planned their whole lives around a career, a house etc... and now it's too late for them to have kids The saddest bit being they always wanted them.

A BIG Congratulations to you on your decision and when the time comes... a BIG Congratulations for that too! he he.

Take Care

xx J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Good luck!!!

Start taking Prenatal vitamins now, and I love the idea of getting fit before starting. Eat tons of whole foods, get lots of sleep, sunlight, fresh air and exercise. Have fun!!! Start saving $$$...

I'm doing all those things and I dont' actually want to get pregnant for another 2 years or so, hehe...

Have fun too

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#5 Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I havn't got any kids, but my sisters do and I was there for their pregnancies and one sister's birth. I just want to say good luck! Read books, talk to other mums and mums to be and try to not worry and stress too much!

Also keep us posted!
#6 Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Good luck!!!

Start taking Prenatal vitamins now, and I love the idea of getting fit before starting. Eat tons of whole foods, get lots of sleep, sunlight, fresh air and exercise. Have fun!!! Start saving $$$...

I'm doing all those things and I dont' actually want to get pregnant for another 2 years or so, hehe...

Have fun too

Excellent advice, synergy.

Good luck to the future parents! There's nothing like it!
#7 Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Aww, congrats of your well-planned decision!

My son will be 2 in a few months.. and I NEVER planned on having a child.. yet I'm so thankful for him, beyond words or measure. Becoming a mother is the most connecting feeling you'll ever experience in life!

Just be prepared for lots of sleepless nights & poopy diapers! (You think you have an idea of how hard it'll be.. but trust me, you have NO clue until you have one of your own.. haha)

Good luck! =)

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#8 Old 02-19-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxxi View Post

... (You think you have an idea of how hard it'll be.. but trust me, you have NO clue until you have one of your own.. haha)

ha ha... I'm up to baby number three and I still say this to myself! lol.

xx J
#9 Old 02-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah we were just saying this last night..... better start saving. We were thinking if we put away a set amount every week into a seperate account then we would save up a reasonable amount. Plus if there is any extra money lying around chuck that in as well!!!
#10 Old 02-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

This is exactly where I don't want to end up..... I want children before I'm 30 and my career will only be getting busier from now on!
#11 Old 02-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

awesome! congratulations!

i think the best time to have a baby is when you feel ready. it seems to me that you both feel ready, and so it is a good time!

in the mean time, you can start thinking about it quite a bit. you can start taking prenatal vitamins (if you wish to take them--they also help with fertility, but check to see if they muck up the pill before using), and you can just enjoy the process.

as far as the you never know how hard it is. . .i found that the toughest thing for me was the sense of total responsibility. the work of mothering was actually and is actually quite easy for me. my guy is very easy going. but, that first day when my family left after seeing the baby i had this realization that this is it, it's on me now, all the time. It's not hard, per se, it's just . . .different. it's the one thing that really threw me for a loop.

Now, onto the things that i value:

Homebirth--check it out. it's perfectly safe for healthy folks, and in NZ, it's fairly common and your midwife is covered anyway. so, def. consider it.

Unassisted birth--this is the way that i did it--no midwife, just DP and I. it was awesome. you can check out what it's about at unassistedchildbirth.com.

Breastfeeding-- i know it's a big thing in NZ, i see the ad campaigns. oddly, though, i have never seen a woman nursing in public. breastmilk in bottles, yet, but not breastfeeding in public. And then there is me. Here i am, in wellington, and i totally flop it out whenever because i believe in breastfeeding my baby. I think Plunket has info, and i'm fairly certain there is a Le Leche League around. go to meetings--if they exist--before you have the baby. it's very helpful! i swear, going before is better than waiting.

Elimination communication (EC)-- this is also called Natural Infant Hygiene and Diaper Free Baby. I love EC! It is probably my favorite thing second to nursing. it's not as hard as it sounds, and we don't have any poopy diapers. it's weird when we do. lol we are currently having trouble with pee signals. LOL but that's ok. Anyway, you save on diapers and work and it's fun!

CO-sleeping--it's the original way to sleep, and you get more sleep this way. The recent tots to teens free publication by plunket had an article about cosleeping. it's safe, if you know what you are doing, and are conscientious about it. it's not for every family, but i can say that it made my life really great.

Attachment Parenting--you can look a lot up about this. mothering.com is great.

Baby wearing--we wore hawk from the beginning with a big wrap. it was and is very cool. because of where we live in wellington (foot path only, up a lot of steps, need a machete on account of the greenery), we have moved to a hard tramping pack (assuming we win it on trademe!). but, baby wearing has been awesome! no need for a pram!

And let me tell you all of this saves tons of money. honestly, our kid is inexpensive. the wrap cost $100 and was a gift. breastmilk is free. cosleeping means no crib and those accessories. EC means washing less cloth or using fewer disposables--both of which save $$$. Mostly, everything we have for him--his toys, clothes, etc--all come from family and friends. seriously, i hardly buy anything for him ( i did buy his training pants that he is using now).

it's just great, being a mom. i love it.

(oh, and the continuum concept. it's awesome. didn't put the baby down--except in the car seat--for the first 6 months. he is the most confident, fun kid. it's a great method.)
#12 Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

and there's nothing special about 30. i mean, it's cool and all, but i didn't have mine until i was 32. i was ready then. it was no problem. younger or older, it's no problem.

and we didn't wait for our careers or plans, we just waited until we felt ready.
#13 Old 02-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Grr... This thread is making me excited to start trying myself... Not quite ready... 2 years?

I'd better start practicing, just to get in shape

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#14 Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

and there's nothing special about 30. i mean, it's cool and all, but i didn't have mine until i was 32. i was ready then. it was no problem. younger or older, it's no problem.

and we didn't wait for our careers or plans, we just waited until we felt ready.

I really like this

My MIL had her last son when she was 45. She said she got the biggest shock of her life but knew she'd be the same kind of mother she had been 25 years earlier! he he.

xx J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page