vegan pregnancy / vegan protein shakes and prenatal vitamins - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 PM

I was hoping someone could help me with a couple of questions.

We are ttc our second child. One of the problems when having my daughter was that I wasn't eating enough protein. Does anybody know of a good protein shake and pre-natal vitamins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I used Deva prenatals. They were the only ones that didn't make me nauseated.

No ideas about protein shakes - I just made smoothies with high-protein foods.

life's not a paragraph
and death i think is no paranthesis
#3 Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

There are lots of great vegan protein powders at health food stores - i would pick one that is soy free so you don't soy-overdose. There are lots to choose from! Then mix that with some banana, frozen strawberries, soymilk (and I put honey but you could put a vegan substitute!) and tada, great smoothie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

What were you eating that you didn't get enough protein? Did you track it? I know with already upset stomach issues, protein powders would definitely not sound good to me. Can you try green smoothies?
#5 Old 02-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Beginner

I take a prenatal that's "just one" brand and it is vegan. I'm working on the protein question myself. I'm trying not to overdo soy. So far here's what I'm going:

adding peanut butter or almond butter on fruit

eating hummus (homemade and not so many spices and garlic)

making the hurry-up alfredo sauce from veganyumyum.com (white bean based) and eating it over steamed kale or other green veggies.

sprinkle hemp seeds over my cereal in the morning, and in my yogurt

grind up lots of hemp seeds in almond milk, then add cocoa, banana, peanut butter and ice

I'm switching to coconut milk yogurt instead of soy yogurt

eating beans and seitan rather than tofu

almond milk and hemp milk instead of soy milk

I'm more concerned about getting enough iron and calcium than protein at this point. I'm not very far along so I don't really have the experience to know if these are sensible choices. There are others here who can tell you (AND ME) if this is a sensible solution for getting enough protein. I know with all the nut butters, seeds, and coconut milk yogurt I could overdo it on fat, so I'm still working on finding the best combination of foods for me.
#6 Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Beginner

I am 27 weeks pregnant and I never tracked my food to much before but once I found out I was expecting i started. You would be suprised how much protien people eat with out realizing it .So I don't worry to much now I make sure that I eat at least 3 serving of protien a day .if i have a salad I throw in some beans ,eat a ww english muffin with a nut butter have a soy milk smoothie with bananna w/peanut butter add walnuts to oatmeal or have quinoa salad stuffed in a pita stir in hummus into ww pasta and veggies .Along with my prenatal vit I take DHA. Good luck
#7 Old 03-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Beginner

I'm trying to conceive and have been taking Rainbow Lite prenatals, in anticipation of getting pregnant. They are vegan and contain ginger, which is supposed to help with the nausea both from pregnancy and from taking the pill. I've never felt sick from taking them, which wasn't the case with another brand I tried.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page