Children's Books for Vegetarian Kids - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-17-2010, 08:41 PM

Does anyone think it's a good idea to get more reading material for our kids that help support the vegetarian lifestyle? I am hoping to spread the message about this very important overlooked topic. I know my son feels like an outcast sometimes because of the way he eats. Anyways, I wrote a few books to get the ball rolling. And hopefully our kids can have support and a sense of belonging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I definitely agree! I'd love to find more veg*n-friendly children's material for my son..

I'll check out your site! And welcome to VB!!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#3 Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 PM

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 AM

Greetings! Another book you may want to consider is my new book, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Eating for Kids." My husband and I wrote it and we included a lot of social stuff for kids as well as more than 30 kid-friendly vegan recipes. Good luck with your book club, great idea!
#5 Old 04-30-2010, 02:37 PM

I will check it out. It's hard to get kids to eat a certain way if they were not vegans before. I am hoping my books can encourage kids to stay on this path. The pre-school book I wrote is like a recipe book and shows them how to make simple and delicious cookies.

The other books are for 1st grade and up and deals with the pressures of being Vegan at school and traveling.

Kid's cannot log on to all the forums and talk to others kids and get support. So I have created a forum for them on my site. There are also contests for them. It's gonna be fun. We are going on a road trip to meet other Vegan kids and get the word out.
#6 Old 05-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Check out the compassionate cooks podcast, she recent did an episode on raising veg kids that had some good books listed in it.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#7 Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

here are some that a vegan friend of mine recommended ( I haven't read them yet)

"Thats Why We Don't Eat Animals" by Ruby Roth (ages 5-12)

"Benji Bean Sprout Doesn't Eat Meat" by Sarah Rudy (ages 5-12)

"Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving" by Dav Pilkey (ages 3+)

"Hubert the Pudge: A Vegetarian Tale" by Henrik Drescher (ages 4+)

"Herb the Vegetarian Dragon" by Jules Bass (3-10)

"Benny Brontosaurus Goes to a Party" Published by SK Publishing (ages 3+)

and perfect for ages 7-10 a small Chapter book

"A Boy, A Chicken & The Lion of Judah: How Ari Became A Vegetarian" by Roberta Kalechofsky
#8 Old 05-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

For older kids, I'd say about 9+ I would recommend "Standing up to Mr. O" by Claudia Mills. It's about a girl who decides to become vegetarian and sacrifices her A in science in order to not dissect and in the end she rescues a frog from a very painful death. I actually found it at a book fair a couple years ago and I was surprised I hadn't heard of it before as it's quite good pro-veg literature!
#9 Old 05-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Beginner

I'll have to check some of these out. My 6 year old dd loves animals so she has for the most part read Black Beauty and is currently reading Charlotte's Web. She got the audio cd as well as the book so I think she can really understand easier when she can hear the big words. And we watched Flicka recently and oh my gosh did she bawl her eyes out. She reads very well for her age but has only recently started trying more to sound out long words that aren't familiar. She is really interested in non-fiction books lately so these might be fun for her. She and the other 2-3 kids in her advanced reading group read through them and get special projects creating fuller sentences. What little the teacher can do without a program in place at the school. But yesterday she says "mom did you know we make Vitamin D in sunlight". hehe I was like yep I know its cool huh?. Apparently they've been reading a health book with the teacher.

I wonder about books in general on a level of health not just not eating meat are out there though??? Anyone know of any particularly good ones? She reads at about 4th grade level.
#10 Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 PM

my daughter LOVES Hubert the pudge
#11 Old 05-11-2010, 06:19 PM

My kids love Herb the vegetarian dragon. It is a frequently read bed time story at our house.
#12 Old 05-23-2010, 12:04 PM

Great suggestions -- and thanks for posting your site, Kelly, since it looks like a good resource for veg parents and kids alike.

Some other favorites that come to mind include the new Granny Gomez & Jigsaw by Deborah Underwood (ages 3-7), the award-winning The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney (ages 4-8), The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl (ages 8-12), Do Animals Have Feelings Too? by David L. Rice and Trudy Calvert (ages 6-10), and Who Is the Beast? by Keith Baker (ages 0-8).

(links removed)
#13 Old 05-30-2010, 11:59 PM

Wow what a great idea, there really do need to be more vege/vegan books for kids. Goodluck!
#14 Old 06-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

This site might be useful too:

http://vegbooks.org/
#15 Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard really good things about This Is Why We Don't Eat Animals by Ruby Roth.

http://wedon'teatanimals.com
#16 Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 AM

i'd never really thought about this until recently. I have a 14 month old girl and a boy on the way in a month so i gonna check some of these out for sure.
#17 Old 07-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone have the "why we don't eat animals" book? Is it too advanced for a smart 3 year old? I do tend to shelter her a lot, and she has asked a few times for food we don't eat, and doesn't understand why I won't let her eat a meatball, lol. Just curious. I find most stuff like this far too intense for the very young.
#18 Old 07-06-2010, 02:13 PM

Try the book And thats why we don't eat animals Veggie love wait till shes 7 or 8. Maybe 3rd or 4rth grade to learn why
#19 Old 07-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I have zero intention of giving her the “full load

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page