Little Lake Free School -- Ann Arbor, MI - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

So my wife and about five others (I am one of the *others*) are starting a Free School. I am so excited! It is her life dream and goal, and it is happening. Just posting. I do not know how many of you know anything about Free Schools, but we are taking our own anti-sexist, anti-racist spin to a really self-directed, Free education.

Here is the flyer:

Here is the text:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLakeFreeSchool.org View Post

Imagine a school where children have the freedom to be themselves. Imagine a community where the core values are democracy, freedom, and responsibility. Imagine a place where children can dream and play all day. Imagine a place where real life learning occurs.

WELCOME to the Little Lake Free School, a school for children ages 4 to 12. At The Little Lake Free School, children will live democracy and practice responsibility. Children will be encouraged and supported by a close-knit adult staff. Childrens learning will be non-coercive and self-directed through daily opportunities for interactions with nature, literature, science, and community. We will explicitly create an adult culture where we challenge racism, sexism, homophobia, and classism where all children and community members are free to be themselves.

Together we will create a school where children and community thrive. We open our doors Fall 2010.

Come talk to us at

The Little Lake Free School

Informational Session

Sunday February 28th at 2pm

Downtown Ann Arbor District Library

Multi-purpose room, 3rd Floor

323 South Fifth Ave, Ann Arbor

To learn more please visit www.littlelakefreeschool.org

Email [email protected] or call (734) 218-4474

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Hmmm I wish you all the best of luck. I helped be a teaching assistant to some pre primaries, I had difficulty with the young ones. However I had a ball with the year 12s. I taught them geometry, and they got it right.

I would join, but Im in the wrong place, and I got 4 majors to do... sounds like fun. Good luck
#3 Old 02-11-2010, 01:22 PM

Wow. What an undertaking, but how rewarding it could be, not in the least for how it will affect your own children. Child-led learning can be an amazing thing. I visited some "radical" schools a few years ago, in St. Louis, that were wonderful (and eventually led me to leaving institutional childcare behind). Do you have a site already?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

We have a few possible locations. Right now, we are raising interest and hopefully funds. Thus the flyer. Once we get to the magical number of 15 more signed up students, we have go!
#5 Old 02-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, pass the word on. www.littlelakefreeschool.org
#6 Old 02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, I'm in Ann Arbor too! But...graduating high school this year, so this apparently isn't for me.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#7 Old 02-12-2010, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

You could always come and volunteer!
#8 Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, this looks great! I think your flyer is spot on. I'm very much in favour of child-led learning and hope you manage to get it off the ground.
#9 Old 02-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds really interesting. As a teacher in the public schools I've always been interested in how child led centers work. I need to find some around here to go look at.
#10 Old 03-14-2010, 11:14 AM

Rodolfo, how did the meeting go?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 03-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Rodolpho, that sounds fantastic. But here's my suggestion: to me it would be even more wonderful if "speciesism" were included in that list of "isms."

Can't tell you how many self proclaimed progressives I've met who see no need to respect the integrity of nonhuman lives, when that oppression should be added to the list of interlocking oppressions.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#12 Old 03-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

The school sounds awesome! I wish I went to a school like that.
#13 Old 03-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope your school is still around when my little boy is old enough to go. I'd be done with college by then and I'd seriously consider moving so he could receive a learning experience like this.
#14 Old 03-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't mean to be a downer here, I really don't lol, but I've visited a free school before, I considered going there myself, and it was very disheartening. Most of the kids that I observed spent most of their time playing on psps or laptops or nintendo whatevers. I love love love the idea of free schools in theory, but from my own experience it was just an excuse for a bunch of kids who hate school to sit around and play electronic games, which I don't believe is learning. I'm wondering what you would think about this?
#15 Old 04-30-2010, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

i think it looks/sounds great roldofo. i'm excited for you.

we are looking at unschooling our kiddo, and while still in the US, checked out a free school there that had an unschooling perspective. it was very cool.

(in unschooling circles, everything is learning, even playing video games. some parents who are radical unschoolers have their children choose what to do, how much, and for how long because of the philosophical perspective that they are doing what they want and need to do to learn what they want and need to learn. so, while it doesn't look like learning from one perspective, from another it does.

as a current/future unschooler, i do not think i would follow along those radical lines. our home is TV free, video game free, and we have a strong familial rhythm that de-emphasizes technology. of course, my husband and i both use computers as tools, and utilize the internet for socialization and as a tool of learning. so, there will be appropriate introduction to this tool over time. so, my son will likely not have "free reign" to use the computer as long as or however he likes. but, i respect that some unschoolers see it as part of the total package of unschooling/learning.)
#16 Old 05-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

i think it looks/sounds great roldofo. i'm excited for you.

we are looking at unschooling our kiddo, and while still in the US, checked out a free school there that had an unschooling perspective. it was very cool.

(in unschooling circles, everything is learning, even playing video games. some parents who are radical unschoolers have their children choose what to do, how much, and for how long because of the philosophical perspective that they are doing what they want and need to do to learn what they want and need to learn. so, while it doesn't look like learning from one perspective, from another it does.

as a current/future unschooler, i do not think i would follow along those radical lines. our home is TV free, video game free, and we have a strong familial rhythm that de-emphasizes technology. of course, my husband and i both use computers as tools, and utilize the internet for socialization and as a tool of learning. so, there will be appropriate introduction to this tool over time. so, my son will likely not have "free reign" to use the computer as long as or however he likes. but, i respect that some unschoolers see it as part of the total package of unschooling/learning.)

I do think that in moderation video games and tv can be beneficial, even educational but from my experience at this free school it was a bunch of kids who hated regular school and just sat around, in the same chair all day, playing games. Nothing else, and as the school's philosophy was to not interfere and allow kids to learn however and whatever they wanted, they were allowed to do this and still graduate with a high school degree. They were teenagers, not young kids, though, and that might make a difference.
#17 Old 05-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Beginner

Sounds awesome. Good for her(and all of you really). If I lived there I'd be all for my daughter attending something like that. Her public school is lacking BIG TIME. I'm currently looking into a highly recommended school that is similar to this(public charter, free) but it has a lottery and not sure we'd get in. The friend that recommends it based on friends raving sends her kids to a waldorf school that is amazing but a little far from my home and not very financially possible(although free as well) because of the travel distance.

I have completed half the credits and classes toward Elementary Education but have since changed my thinking back to medicine because the public school systems are just not in line with my beliefs on learning. I love the unschool approach really but being a single mom I can't very well afford to not work and she has to go some where while I work.

I agree myrtlemaneet that video games are excellent for hand eye coordination. I read of article about surgeons and video games in particular. Interesting! Obviously not all about violent ones but I find even the roll play Mario and Sonic games offer some problem solving and do let my 6 year old play on occasions. She is quite good at moderating her own play time. She prefers to be outside but will play games from time to time. I just haven't had and issue with her over playing them. As summer approaches we try to do a lot of swimming but often playing outside in 110 is just not comfortable for extended times so I'm considering a Wii for some active game playing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page