Is milk good for your kids? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Milk's status as nutritional beverage of choice for growing children has recently come under the microscope.

Prompted by concerns over a rise in milk allergies, links to obesity, the advantages of alternatives such as soy, and new research questioning milk's role in protecting bones, some experts are advocating for change.

It's a debate that has picked up in the past decade since Benjamin Spock, one of the world's best-known pediatricians, argued against milk and meat in children's diets.

Read more

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this is actually a pretty good article for people who have never considered that milk might not be necessary. It's pretty well balanced.

I do think it's really funny though that the only pro-milk drinking person they quoted was employed by the Dairy Farmers of Canada! I hope people who are thinking about this for the first time will notice that when they're reading.

And I don't like how they keep talking about soy as THE alternative to milk. What about rice milk, oat milk, coconut milk, almond milk, etc.? They make it sound like there are so few options!
#3 Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine2809 View Post

And I don't like how they keep talking about soy as THE alternative to milk. What about rice milk, oat milk, coconut milk, almond milk, etc.? They make it sound like there are so few options!

Same here. Now people are going to complain how or why they won't/can't drink soy with all the bogus reasons floating about.(Like that one actor(?) who complained not that long ago that soy gave him "moobs"...?)

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Beginner

And here I thought that soy only made you gay.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53327
#5 Old 01-13-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookishfreak View Post

And here I thought that soy only made you gay.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53327

wow that article is dumb!!!!! ha ha i have never read anything so insane in my life! what sort of an idiot would think that that is a good idea for an article. "oh here is a totally accurate and non-derogatory idea to write about. I will publish this and use fancy words to try to convince the readers of my very scientific and not at all fake findings!" anyway thanks for the larf!
#6 Old 01-13-2010, 08:36 PM

I just don't get why cow's milk would be good for baby humans... it has always boggled my mind, even before I was veg or anything. My friend was recently grossed out by her son talking about drinking dolphin milk - WHY is that grosser than drinking cow milk?
#7 Old 01-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I prefer no milks and enjoy great digestion.
#8 Old 01-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

A lot of the generally known wisdom about the world is just a carefully engineered marketing strategy by corporate lobbying groups. In this case, the milk industry.
#9 Old 01-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Here in Finland they are trying to find if milk and childhood diabetes has some connection. I know that they are working quite big medical research from it because so many studies shows that in the countries, like Finland, where kids drink a lot milk are more childhood diabetes than in the countries where they prefer other drinks to the kids than cow's milk. I don't know if they have found any proof to point or other yet but I wouldn't be surprised if the study would show that there is link between those two.
#10 Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virpukka View Post

Here in Finland they are trying to find if milk and childhood diabetes has some connection. I know that they are working quite big medical research from it because so many studies shows that in the countries, like Finland, where kids drink a lot milk are more childhood diabetes than in the countries where they prefer other drinks to the kids than cow's milk. I don't know if they have found any proof to point or other yet but I wouldn't be surprised if the study would show that there is link between those two.

Have you read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell? He talks about that in there.
#11 Old 01-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Only if the 'kids' in question are actual kids, and the milk is goats milk
#12 Old 01-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

You can drink milk and be perfectly healthy.

Another person drinks milk and becomes sick.

Drat.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#13 Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

regardless of whether natural cow's milk is good for kids or not, the milk sold in America I doubt is good for anyone. The amount of estrogen and other hormones injected in those cows to enhance production, are ridiculous.
#14 Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine2809 View Post

What about plain old water?
#15 Old 01-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Trailer for the Documentary: Click Here

I'm looking forward to when this hits my local theater.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#16 Old 01-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post

What about plain old water?

My son does get water with meals, but he also gets breastmilk for the added calories and nutrients. I think the benefit of "milk" is the extra calories, fat, and nutrients like vitamin D & B12 and calcium that some kids may not get enough of otherwise. Sometimes all those healthy whole foods fill them up too well. I know there are some ways to make their diets more calorie dense (nuts, avocados, oils, etc.) and there are other fortified food options (fortified cereals), but fortified plant milks can be a good option, too.

My son is currently allergic to dairy, nuts, and possibly soy, so I'm not sure what type of "milk" he'll get when weaned. We may have to do fortified rice milk plus lots of avocado.
#17 Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned

The only time I use cows milk is baking and mashed potatos or on my cereal but I prefer almond milk on my cereals. I tried coconut milk this passed week I am not going there LOL. The Only thing of coconut milk I have is the coffee creamer but the regular one tastes like paste..
#18 Old 01-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Good article but the comments at the bottom are obnoxious

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page