#1 Old 01-11-2010, 08:06 AM

What milk do you give them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-11-2010, 08:37 AM

Almond milk with flax seed oil mixed in
#3 Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

We give rice milk and also soy milk to a lesser degree.

The Big Bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 AM

we rotate through soy, rice, and almond milk. We make sure he is getting lots of healthy fats from oils, nuts, avocados, etc.
#5 Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I know I'm kind of getting off track from the original question, but I was wondering how you guys convince your kids to go veg*n? (Please read in a kind tone) This isn't a flame on parents who have veg*n kids or anything, I'm really simply curious. Do your kids ever ask if they can eat meat? And I doubt any parents of a young veg*n child shows their kids graphic videos of animals dying... So how do you do it? Again, just a 19 year old curious student here
#6 Old 01-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I've explained why we don't eat them. my son's young (almost 5) so i tone it down a bit. I just talk about how animals never did anything to us, so why would we want to hurt them. But, he understands. There was a mistake a couple of months back at school and he ate some meat. When my wife talked to him about it, he cried. He cried enough that she eventually told him it probably wasn't meat after all.

The Big Bad.
#7 Old 01-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

They wouldn't know what meat was unless exposed to it. I would tell them when it's time that some people choose to harm animals (eggs, meat, animal milks, honey, leather, wool, etc.) and others don't.

As for milks, I would feed my kids a fresh food diet, so banana milk or green smoothies.
#8 Old 01-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraglare View Post

I know I'm kind of getting off track from the original question, but I was wondering how you guys convince your kids to go veg*n? (Please read in a kind tone) This isn't a flame on parents who have veg*n kids or anything, I'm really simply curious. Do your kids ever ask if they can eat meat? And I doubt any parents of a young veg*n child shows their kids graphic videos of animals dying... So how do you do it? Again, just a 19 year old curious student here

Hey Aurora,

I often wondered this as well. I am vegan and my husband is vegetarian. I think it is less about "convincing" the child and more about what they are exposed to food wise and what information they are given. I would first expose my child to animals at a young age so they associate the animal first before the meat. This way when they are older I can explain that some people choose to eat the animals and that we are a peaceful family that does not harm anyone, animals included.

I would also expose my children to a full range of vegetables and foods at a young age and let them choose which favorites they have. That way when they are being fussy and want to eat there "favorite" food, it will at least be healthy.

I am curious to read what actual parents think.

Kindest Regards,

VeganTigress

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#9 Old 01-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

As someone who was raised vegetarian, it never even occurred to me to eat meat. When I was really young, my mom just explained in a really kid appropriate way, by saying something to the along the lines of 'we our puppies or kitties, why would we want to eat piggies and cows? They are animals, too.'

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#10 Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:

My son is two. There really is no 'convinving'. He eats all the great food I put in front of him. I've always offered a very wide variety of vegetables, fruits, legumes, grains from the very beginning making his mushed up baby food. When he has been offered meat and tasted it he has spit it out. Not because he knows that it is an animal, but because his taste buds prefere his vegetarian diet. (normally saying, "yucky". much to my pleasure when the ILs try to offer him something like a hotdog.) When he gets a bit older and begins asking questions I plan on answering honestly but appropriately for his age. This will also probably apply to any foods including certain ingrediants I don't allow int he house. I'm sure that will be tougher to enforse as he gets older.

Had I gone veg when he was older I'm not sure how I would have handled it. Probably explained all the reasons and hoped they would make the right decision. We do have the "you eat what I make or nothing at all" rule so maybe that would apply then, too?
#11 Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysysy View Post

My son is two. There really is no 'convinving'. He eats all the great food i put in front of him. When he has been offered meat and tasted it he has spit it out. Not because he knows that it is an animal, but because his taste buds prefere his vegetarian diet.

I know lots of omni toddlers that won't go near meat anyway until they get older and develop a taste for it, so I'd think keeping vegetarian/vegan toddlers would be really easy. You can pretty much train their tastes up any way you'd like (within reason).
#12 Old 01-11-2010, 03:57 PM

That may be true. I really believe you have to start a healthy eating foundation early. I think as vegetarains this is exactly what is done even if the child chooses to go omni later in life. I know lots of children who live off chicken nuggets, macoroni and cheese, hotdogs, etc. The parents are already having trouble getting them to eat their veggies. I think it really depends on how the parents themselves eat as to how the toddler or child of any age would eat.
#13 Old 01-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow this is all really interesting Thanks for all your answers guys! Especially from all the parents and Vegan Tigress. I think most people (omni's) HATE parents who enforce veg*nism on their kids from the get-go... In fact, my brother thinks its ridiculous that parents bring up their kids veg*n. I see nothing wrong with it at all...but I do think if later on in life, when they're old enough to decide, if they want to be omni's then the parent shouldn't be too rough on them... I just feel everyone at the right age should be able to make their own choices. But anyway, this is a really interesting topic to me Kids are often better at understanding the connection of "meat" to "animal" since they havent had years of society separating the two words instead of connecting them. Also many kids like to play "farm" or have toys that are cows, or chickens..just think of "Old McDonald had a farm!" ...At least I remember that jingle from when I was a kid. Kids are better at being aware of creatures.
#14 Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

This reminds me of when I worked in the infant room at a daycare a few years ago. There was a baby who refused to eat chicken baby food. He would literally gag and throw up if you tried to feed him chicken baby food. His parents were so concerned that he would *only* eat fruits and vegetables. Finally they figured out that they could trick him into eating it by mixing it with banana baby food.

It always made me so sad!

Kind of off-topic but
#15 Old 01-13-2010, 04:57 AM

Ah, my thread got kidnapped :P (no, I'm not mad, it's an interesting question)

Thanks for the replies on the milks - just to add on to that, what other fats do you get most from for the toddlers? Avocados? I'm vegetarian, trying to go vegan and I find it rather confusing for now because so much stuff simply has some form of cow's milk or another!

As for convincing kids to go veg*n - there is no convincing. I've three kids now (youngest only 6 weeks, so she's on breastmilk, 18 months and 6 years (her birthday today)) and I can assure anyone I didn't need to convince them to eat veg*n just the same as omnis don't need to convince their kids to eat omni food. Mine just don't know any better. My 6 year old keeps asking why others eat meat, I tell her that they chose to eat animals.

Actually, her 6 year old omni friend told her the other day 'You know, they kill pigs and make them into sausages' and my daughter replied 'I know that's why I don't eat them' - and as 6 year olds are, that was the end of discussion and they went on to other things then.

Another friend of my daughter eats with us regularly and loves our food - she's now asked her mum to buy smoked tofu and brussels sprouts for her, and a few other things that she never had before she started having dinner with us a few times. Just shows you it's not 'cruel to withhold omni food' (yes I've been told that once) from children but enriching their lives because they'll eat healthier and happily so.
#16 Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

my toddler (16 mo) and i are vegetarian (ovo lacto). i would say that 1/3 to 1/2 of our meals are vegan, and that's a conservative estimate.

his only "milk" is breast milk. his other beverages include tea and water, and occasionally juice. he mostly drinks water if not nursing (and he nurses quite a bit still).

otherwise, he gets a lot of healthy food. an example from today:

breakfast: steal cut oatmeal and apple sauce

snack: blueberries and yogurt, orange

lunch: vegan asparagus and roasted pepper risotto

snack: i don't know yet, but i was thinking apples and nut butter dipping sauce

dinner: vegan burritos (black bean dip, guacamole, chopped or grated veggies of many kinds)

snack: steamed broccoli.

we pretty much eat the same thing every day.

my DH is omnivorous. so, my son does ask to try his foods. mostly, though, he doesn't eat them. he refuses all fish based on smell; he'll get a good look at chicken and beef but hand them back before tasting them and ask to have his hands washed (lol!). so, he's not so much into eating meat, even though he's very exposed to it.

but, we mostly eat vegan. and we're getting more raw food here too. he really loves his veggies all shredded up in various "cole slaw" versions. he loves cole slaw. so, i make one with zucchini, beets, carrots, steamed kale, etc etc etc. . .just whatever, and let it sit in the nice, raw dressing and he's a happy camper. he would eat variations on cole slaw til forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page