In your opinion, what is a good bedtime for a 7 year old? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Beancounter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,339
My wife and I make sure our son goes to bed at 8pm, yet I see many other kids his age running around past 9pm (in the summer).



Are we being too strict? old fashioned? Is there some new study that suggests that kids don't need as much sleep as we thought?



What do you think is a good bed time for a child that age?

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
Beancounter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
I think that somewhere between 8-9 pm is a good time. depends on what time your kid wakes up, if they nap, etc. Kids need plenty of sleep. Lord knows when they're older they can kiss it goodbye!!! It's not old fashioned. It's just being sensible. when my son goes to bed later than usual, it often is timeout city for him. of course, that's the same for most people. There's tons of studies about the negativities of not getting enough sleep.

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
#3 Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 15,684
I think when I was 7, my bedtime was either 7:30 or 8. Since my sisters were younger than me (and they still are), my bedtime tended to be the same as what their bodies needed. I survived. I may not have liked it, especially on hot summer nights when the neighbor kids stayed up till 11 or so, and they were loud, but it did seem to work for my family.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Skylark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 07-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,049
What time does your child have to get up in the summer? If you keep a fairly specific schedule (like having to get up for day care or day camp) then an early bedtime is good.



If your child gets to choose their own natural wake-up time (which may or may not be a bit later) then a later bedtime may or may not work...



I do think later bedtimes in the summer are nice - IF your family schedule allows for adequate rest in other parts of the day (sleeping later in the AM or napping or whatever) because it makes for more relaxing and less rushed time to spend with your kids over dinner, after work in the evening.



I've had many enjoyable evenings with my kids after dark around a patio fire-pit, or watching falling stars or playing flashlight tag in the back yard....



That's just me though...
Tofu-N-Sprouts is offline  
#5 Old 07-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Beancounter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

What time does your child have to get up in the summer? If you keep a fairly specific schedule (like having to get up for day care or day camp) then an early bedtime is good.



If your child gets to choose their own natural wake-up time (which may or may not be a bit later) then a later bedtime may or may not work...





Yea, we bring him to daycare during the week, so it's a set schedule. I'm not sure if he has a natural bedtime... He like to play computer games, and left unattended, he could stay up easily until the wee hours of the night (no pun intended)



But yea, Friday and Saturday, he's allowed to stay up late. He'll often squeeze between us and watch the Late Show. There's been one occasion when we fell asleep before him, and he woke us up so we could tuck him in.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
Beancounter is offline  
#6 Old 07-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
coley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 379
I think whatever works for your family is the best bedtime. My little girl is only thirteen months but goes to bed at 8pm at night. She went to one nap during the day at about 10 months too. She has always just been really alert and ready for action. I think in Summer we may even push it a bit later, as it's hard to put her down when the sun is still out. I was like this as a kid too.



I have friends whose kids go down even later. As long as they are happy and alert the next day all is good.
coley is offline  
#7 Old 07-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
nontoxicglue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 498
When I was 7, I think my bed time was 9 or 9:30...I went to 10-10:30 in middle school.



My family always ate dinner really late...

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
nontoxicglue is offline  
#8 Old 07-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rosiem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 858
Yeah, 8-8:30 is what sounds good to me...
rosiem is offline  
#9 Old 07-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
zoebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,451
we are working on moving hawk to 8-8:30 now. right now, he does this: 8 am rise; 11 or 12 nap until 1 or 2; nap again either at 4 or 6 for an hour, and then bed time around 9-9:30.



i'd like to get him back to bed at 8:30 to wake at 7 am as he was doing a few weeks ago (before summer hit full on). i think the long day hours messed with him a bit.



but, i think that 8-9 is good for children under 10 in general, and 9:30 is a good bed time until the later teens (16 or so), and then 10-10:30 on weeknights UNLESS they are in a stupid, stupid school district that starts high school at 7 am, such that those kids have to get on the bus at 5:30 or some insanity. anyway, if school starts at 8 or 9--like in normal places--then 10:30 isn't so bad. rise at 7, get to school by 8, and you have 8.5-9 hrs of sleep there.



anyway, yeah.
zoebird is offline  
#10 Old 07-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Mrs. Skittles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

we are working on moving hawk to 8-8:30 now. right now, he does this: 8 am rise; 11 or 12 nap until 1 or 2; nap again either at 4 or 6 for an hour, and then bed time around 9-9:30.



i'd like to get him back to bed at 8:30 to wake at 7 am as he was doing a few weeks ago (before summer hit full on). i think the long day hours messed with him a bit.



but, i think that 8-9 is good for children under 10 in general, and 9:30 is a good bed time until the later teens (16 or so), and then 10-10:30 on weeknights UNLESS they are in a stupid, stupid school district that starts high school at 7 am, such that those kids have to get on the bus at 5:30 or some insanity. anyway, if school starts at 8 or 9--like in normal places--then 10:30 isn't so bad. rise at 7, get to school by 8, and you have 8.5-9 hrs of sleep there.



anyway, yeah.



I went to a high school like that, on the bus by 6:15 in the morning. It sucked. During the winter time I would have no time to blow dry my hair and it would freeze while I waited for the bus.



To the OP:

I think whatever works best for your family and your child is what you should do.
Mrs. Skittles is offline  
#11 Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
chryssiie718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,769
I think 8 PM is perfectly reasonable given that you have to be up in the morning. I have a 7 year old and an 8 year old. They were going to bed at 8 during the school year. I have loosened up very slightly this summer since they are going to summer camp and I want to keep the schedule pretty close to school times. I have let them stay up until 9 PM this past week but had been making them get to bed by 8:30. It is hard in the summer with it staying light out later. On weekends they say "we can stay up as late as we want" and end up falling asleep on the couch by 10 or so.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
chryssiie718 is offline  
#12 Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular
 
DgyJff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,183
At that age I think I went to bed around 7:30-8 during the school year, but during the summer it was normal for me to stay out, playing around the neighborhood all day and I had to be back by dark which I guess is around 9, and then after settling down I'd probably go to bed around 9:30-10.
DgyJff is offline  
#13 Old 07-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular
 
khadijah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cairo Egypt
Posts: 1,057
9:00 or what ever works best for you
khadijah is offline  
#14 Old 07-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
KellyBon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 462
My kids are 8 and 10. Summertime my kids are up until 11. When school starts back up they will be in bed no later then 9:30.
KellyBon is offline  
#15 Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
suchgreatheight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 435
Why do parents need to control their children's sleeping patterns? Whats going to happen to them exactly if they go to bed when they feel tired? It seems like people assume that children "need" a certain amount of sleep without having a clearly articulated idea of what measurable, negative consequences will occur if they don't get it?



If its just a matter of it being a bit uncomfortable for them in the mornings (when they have school and actually need to be up) then why not let them weigh the costs and benefits and figure it out for themselves? (or, even just say 'you have to be up in 'x' number of hours and you recall you felt really bad the last time you had only 'x-y' number of hours of sleep...so you should go to bed soon if you don't want to feel bad tomorrow).
suchgreatheight is offline  
#16 Old 07-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
KellyBon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchgreatheight View Post

Why do parents need to control their children's sleeping patterns? Whats going to happen to them exactly if they go to bed when they feel tired? It seems like people assume that children "need" a certain amount of sleep without having a clearly articulated idea of what measurable, negative consequences will occur if they don't get it?



If its just a matter of it being a bit uncomfortable for them in the mornings (when they have school and actually need to be up) then why not let them weigh the costs and benefits and figure it out for themselves? (or, even just say 'you have to be up in 'x' number of hours and you recall you felt really bad the last time you had only 'x-y' number of hours of sleep...so you should go to bed soon if you don't want to feel bad tomorrow).

That's pretty funny! That works if it's summer break and we don't have to be up at a set time the next day...BUT if they have to be up at 7am for school, I have to make sure they go to bed before 10pm. If I left it up to them they would stay up until 11 or 12 and then be super tired and cranky at school.
KellyBon is offline  
#17 Old 07-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular
 
Kyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by nontoxicglue View Post

When I was 7, I think my bed time was 9 or 9:30...I went to 10-10:30 in middle school.



My family always ate dinner really late...



Same here;



My 7 year old daughter doesn't finish eating until about 8:30 and doesn't go to bed until about 9:30.
Kyo is offline  
#18 Old 07-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchgreatheight View Post

Why do parents need to control their children's sleeping patterns? Whats going to happen to them exactly if they go to bed when they feel tired? It seems like people assume that children "need" a certain amount of sleep without having a clearly articulated idea of what measurable, negative consequences will occur if they don't get it?



If its just a matter of it being a bit uncomfortable for them in the mornings (when they have school and actually need to be up) then why not let them weigh the costs and benefits and figure it out for themselves? (or, even just say 'you have to be up in 'x' number of hours and you recall you felt really bad the last time you had only 'x-y' number of hours of sleep...so you should go to bed soon if you don't want to feel bad tomorrow).



It's called parenting. A little kid isn't going to choose to go to bed early so that they can go well in school. They'll stay up late, be tired, be cranky, be unfocused, and generally have a bad day at school. A parent has to step in and make sure the child gets enough sleep for them to function the next day. It's kinda you know...what parents are there for. to take care of kids, and make decisions that they're not mature enough to make. Most 7 year olds won't weigh the pros and cons of bed time, they will think what they want to do right then.
GhostUser is offline  
#19 Old 07-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular
 
suchgreatheight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

It's called parenting. A little kid isn't going to choose to go to bed early so that they can go well in school. They'll stay up late, be tired, be cranky, be unfocused, and generally have a bad day at school. A parent has to step in and make sure the child gets enough sleep for them to function the next day. It's kinda you know...what parents are there for. to take care of kids, and make decisions that they're not mature enough to make. Most 7 year olds won't weigh the pros and cons of bed time, they will think what they want to do right then.



Yes, I get that is what parents typically assume; I was questioning that assumption and asking if it actually had a rational basis or not. To just respond by saying 'thats parenting' is to deny the question not to answer it, which of course you're free to do but it misses the point.
suchgreatheight is offline  
#20 Old 07-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,641

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

sleepydvdr is offline  
#21 Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchgreatheight View Post

Yes, I get that is what parents typically assume; I was questioning that assumption and asking if it actually had a rational basis or not. To just respond by saying 'thats parenting' is to deny the question not to answer it, which of course you're free to do but it misses the point.

I did answer it. No little kid I have ever known would be mature enough to decide to go to bed at a reasonable hour so they can do good in school, like I stated. So it is needed for parents to make the decision.
GhostUser is offline  
#22 Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sophia_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 245
The right answer depends on:

- what time he/she wakes up

- What time he/she have dinner

- what are her/his own needs - every children needs to sleep more than adults, but while some may need 11 hours, others aren't able to sleep more than 8/9 hours.



You just have to look at the answers and you'll find out what is better to your child
Sophia_ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off