Oracle buying over Sun Microsystems - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

What do you all think of that?

I seriously don't know what Oracle will do, considering Oracle is so business oriented and Sun is pure technical. But it'll be interesting to see where it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

First thought was "oh crap"

Considering there's what now for DB stuff? Oracle and MS SQL Server? (as Oracle will now own MySQL). What's the odds of them keeping the MySQL... well.... free and available? And open office (the free one)?

I can see them stripping out almost all the features from these free apps, then putting them back as a "new and improved" yet costing version. Or just taking MySQL and not doing anything new with it (or taking things out) then offering a Oracle DB with more features (ex: what MySQL would've been if they developed it) for "free" but with certain things removed so people will shell out the cash for the full Oracle DB versions.

Oh and apparently the new version of mysql (5.4) which is pre-release now has support for up to 16 processors and multi-cores.... yeah.... don't see oracle wanting to maintain Oracle lite + mysql... I'd see them merging the two if anything, which would basically end MySql as it's known (unless they want to pleasantly surprise the world and drop Oracle Lite and just add that functioning to MySql and keep it open source).
#3 Old 04-27-2009, 01:39 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

First thought was "oh crap"

Considering there's what now for DB stuff? Oracle and MS SQL Server? (as Oracle will now own MySQL). What's the odds of them keeping the MySQL... well.... free and available? And open office (the free one)?

MySQL is Open Source (GPL v2), so it's not like you won't be able to use it anymore. There is however a dual-licencing scheme that allows customers to buy a proprietary licence in case they don't want to be bound by GPL.

I think Oracle is generally more Open Source friendly than say Microsoft and more interested in keeping up their reputation in that respect. I think it'll be fine.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Banned

This isn't about MS; Oracle is going after IBM's customers. A hybrid Sun/hardware Oracle Enterprise offering could be quite intriguing to customers over a pure play IBM solution. IBM has been dropping the ball lately and I'm sure Oracle is tired of deaing with different hardware people infringing on their overal solution margin. By offereing a solution, hardware and all, they can push IBM right out of the bidding.

We'll see if they can make it work.
#5 Old 04-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

Considering there's what now for DB stuff? Oracle and MS SQL Server? (as Oracle will now own MySQL).

There is still PostgreSQL, which is probably about as good as MySQL, and which has a BSD licence (which is even less restrictive than GPL).

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#6 Old 04-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

There is still PostgreSQL, which is probably about as good as MySQL, and which has a BSD licence (which is even less restrictive than GPL).

Oh there's that one (that I had forgot about before I posted, but remembered after), of course requirements, SQL syntax, etc might have to be redone if people switched.

I just worry they'll stop development on MySQL* which wouldn't matter in the short term, but in about 1-5 years as security problems or just overall hardware advancements are made - it'd be too outdated for a company to use performance wise (like hosting companies).

* thereby causing the community to pick up -- which for standard releases/etc a group would have to be formed to take it over under a new name as Oracle would own MySql

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page