VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/30-computers-technology/)
-   -   Twitter (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/30-computers-technology/95209-twitter.html)

Kenickie 03-08-2009 05:49 PM

couldn't find a thread on this so decided to start one.

what the hell is this? does anyone have one? why more social networking!? is it that NEEDED?????

of course i just got one. for some reason i feel the need to follow chuck p.

jeneticallymodified 03-08-2009 06:03 PM

aren't you only allowed to type a little bit? yeah, i'd fail at that- i really really like to ramble.

Scarlet Soul 03-08-2009 06:03 PM

I got one too but I don't really use it. I think it would be more useful if I had people on there that I actually knew and cared about what they were doing. Otherwise I just don't get it.

Skylark 03-08-2009 07:01 PM

It seems like a technology for teens and preteens who have nothing better to do than tell others what they're doing, boring as that may be.

vigilant20 03-08-2009 07:12 PM

I use mine a lot, actually. My brother and mom and some co-workers and friends who have moved abroad are all on it. It's an easy way to keep everyone updated on the big and little things that are going on. And it's convenient because I can update and get updates on my cell as well as online.

I suppose if you don't already have friends and family on it, it wouldn't seem that useful though.

But businesses are using it more too. I follow updates about my work. I've also seen friends submit feedback and complaints to websites and stores that were acted on. Some websites also post when they update for those who don't understand how RSS works or something.

dormouse 03-08-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

It seems like a technology for teens and preteens who have nothing better to do than tell others what they're doing, boring as that may be.

And John McCain....

Seriously though. I created a Twitter account a week ago just to see what the big deal was about. Really, there's no space in 140 characters to express anything truly meaningful. I just started following a bunch of authors and media personalities and politicians and a local business. It's pretty cool to have an insight like this into the lives of famous people. A friend of mine said that she uses it to keep track of other academics in her field of study, so she knows what's going on all over.

Some people, however, do just post what they're doing at the moment. That part is kind of pointless, but I have a hard time condemning anything that promotes the free trade of ideas and interconnects people even further.

Skylark 03-08-2009 08:32 PM

If John McCain thinks using Twitter makes him less of an old, rich white guy, he's got another think coming.

synergy 03-08-2009 09:00 PM

I think I'll stick with facebook... I see enough pointless updates about what people are doing this very second on their status updates, hehe.

Tori~CL 03-08-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

If John McCain thinks using Twitter makes him less of an old, rich white guy, he's got another think coming.

He doesn't even use e-mail.

HummusKelpilot 03-09-2009 02:39 AM

I'm not a very good twitterer because I forgot all about it lately. Last time I logged in, Kim Jong-Il followed me, I was like WTF??!!!

Kenickie 03-09-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummusKelpilot View Post

I'm not a very good twitterer because I forgot all about it lately. Last time I logged in, Kim Jong-Il followed me, I was like WTF??!!!

LOL thats hilarious.

i like chuck's updates though. those are pretty cool. twitter is silly, its a trend. it will either become better, or worse, in a matter of months.

RockabillyVegan 03-09-2009 03:32 PM

I refuse to "twitter", I'm not sure what it is, but it sounds like a dirty sex act....

Skylark 03-09-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori~CL View Post

He doesn't even use e-mail.

I know this, but I thought a previous poster was trying to say John McCain had started using Twitter. From the way it sounds, Twitter might be easier to understand than email for a beginner.

Tablaqueen 03-16-2009 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

And John McCain....

Seriously though. I created a Twitter account a week ago just to see what the big deal was about. Really, there's no space in 140 characters to express anything truly meaningful. I just started following a bunch of authors and media personalities and politicians and a local business. It's pretty cool to have an insight like this into the lives of famous people. .

I'm on it now but don't use it much - mainly just follow Stephen Fry and Jonathan Ross on it (British celebs who post a lot on it) - just wondered, since I'm rubbish at it, is there a list anywhere of the famous people on it?

Nishani 03-16-2009 07:04 AM

Normally I'm drawn to new net technology or net trends but I'm really getting sick of superfluous social contact like Twitter, it's very aptly named AFAIC. I find it hard to care about what mundane activity certain people are doing ever 20 mins of their day. If I want to catch up with my friends or say hello, I'll ring them, text them, or PM them on a msg board somewhere. In my opinion, a lot of things like Facebook and Twitter often seem more like public attention-grabbing exercises rather than sincere attempts to stay in touch.

And other than the music, artwork or comedy or whatever that celebs make that I might be interested in, I really don't care about what they're doing when they're not doing that.

GhostUser 03-16-2009 07:13 AM

I joined Twitter.

Added some people, updated a couple times.

Never went back

Freedom_Spark 04-08-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:
I'm on it now but don't use it much - mainly just follow Stephen Fry and Jonathan Ross on it (British celebs who post a lot on it) - just wondered, since I'm rubbish at it, is there a list anywhere of the famous people on it?

Yeah I created an account just to see what Stephen Fry and Russell Brand did on a daily basis, although I'm even more in love with Russell now, it's started to get boring already. I'm not a fan of social networking in general, I prefer to talk to people face to face.

m4rk0 04-10-2009 10:07 AM

Like my response to Planet Green?

vigilant20 04-10-2009 10:15 AM

Skylark 04-14-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

Saw this news story: US Federal Government now on twitter.

Great! More information to obscure the truth about what the U.S. gov. is really doing!

MadisonIV 05-04-2009 12:04 AM

Twitter is awesome, folks.

I don't use myspace or facebook with their cluttered, crappily-designed pages made by idiot teenyboppers.

only social media I use is twitter. the rest of it, I really don't get or care about. I use it to get quick updates on things like sporting events and news/emergencies and such, answers to random questions(especially Vegetarian Questions, as I have a lot of VeggieFolk on my friends list), and as a chat room to generally pass time when I am in transit(I live in a major city, and don't drive). works out pretty well.

I <3 twitter.

Kita_Hawk 05-22-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I think I'll stick with facebook... I see enough pointless updates about what people are doing this very second on their status updates, hehe.

haha! This is why i am not interested in Twitter. I care so little about what my best friends think of their jobs, hour - by long dramatically drawn out hour -.. I cant imagine it being any better on Twitter.

That being said their web 2.0+++ interface is amazing...

chryssiie718 05-22-2009 11:21 AM

All my "causes" Twitter so I got an account but I don't really get it. I have MySpace and Facebook too that I seldom visit. I just have to join the crowd!!

karenlovessnow 05-23-2009 01:41 PM

I joined Twitter because the ladies of "the View" talk about it a lot and I wanted to see what it was all about. I'm probably missing something, but I don't quite "get it".

So, you don't actually respond to people? You just write your own stuff and people can read it if they want?

WonderRandy 05-23-2009 02:52 PM

I just joined Twitter about a week or so ago. I think I like it. It takes time to tell, tho. I rarely use my MySpace account, but I'm on Facebook all the time. Twitter integrates with Facebook pretty swiftly - I'm using TweetDeck to keep the Tweets live and neatly synced with FB. I'm looking for a decent phone app for Twitter, but I haven't found a good one for my phone yet.

I think there's a lot of potential here.

weetzie 05-23-2009 05:26 PM

I love Twitter. I update mine very often. I have a Myspace that I don't use, and a Facebook that I have and read, but I let Twitter update my facebook for me. Twitter allows you to post little 140 character posts about what you are doing. You can respond to others so there are a lot of conversations going on. I'll rant about how a restaurant ignored my "no cheese" request and I'll get the CEO contacting me by email to offer me coupons, etc. I'll ask random questions that I want to the answers to, and will get answers!

I love it and didn't understand it when I first got it, but it's all I use. You can also use it to update your blogs, and IM away message statuses.

Miso Jace 05-24-2009 03:08 PM

I joined twitter the other day, and it's annoying me that i don't have many people i actually know on it, that's what's spoiling it for me.

anyone who is into twitter can look me up, it's the same username as i have on here, minus the space.

nataliex1122 05-24-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

couldn't find a thread on this so decided to start one.

what the hell is this? does anyone have one? why more social networking!? is it that NEEDED?????

of course i just got one. for some reason i feel the need to follow chuck p.

Chuck Palahniuk? If so, very cool!

Yeah, I've never been on the twitter website. I just re-activated my facebook and I already feel creepy enough hearing about people lives, seeing their conversations, ect. Seems like it does have its benefits, though. Especially if a lot of your friends/family/co-workers use it.

sorrowthepig 05-24-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheThrowsDown View Post

I joined Twitter.

Added some people, updated a couple times.

Never went back

Twitter = 60% churn. Welcome to the majority. It's a useless "service" unless you're selling something; i.e., self, brand, etc..

LetoTheTyrant 05-25-2009 06:12 AM

I've never really used twitter, but a friend things it will be quite useful for us when we go to bonaroo, so I may have my first full fledged twitter experience next month. I'm not vert excited as yet