Cyber stalker - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a friend (no seriously) who is being stalked by someone over the internet for the last two years. They've been able to get into his Facebook, MySpace and Yahoo accounts. They've been able to access shared networks behind his router. He's also changed internet providers 3 times.

I asked him if he's gotten the authorities involved and he has not because so far it has basically just been sending messages/IMs from his account to his girlfriend trying to break them up (and no it's not me...I knew him in high school and we just reconnected a couple days ago).

Any ideas on how he can figure out who this is (other than getting the authorities involved)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Hmm. He might have been keylogged. And the authorities probably won't get involved since the person(s) behind it haven't done anything seriously harmful (even though it's illegal), and they've got tons of other things to do. :/

Does he only use one computer? Did he download or remember anything suspicious on the computer around the time this started happening?

He should use a friend's computer, change all his passwords to all his accounts, starting with the e-mail linked to website accounts, and see if that prevents anything from happening. If it does, have him use his computer and download HijackThis from here: http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

And if he isn't computer savvy, have him go here: http://www.malwareremoval.com/ and post the log information from HijackThis, and the community there will help him figure out if there is a keylogger and what he can do to get rid of it.

And chances are he won't be able to figure out who is behind this. I could be wrong, but *shrugs*.

And run virus scans and delete all the cookies and all that good stuff.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#3 Old 02-03-2009, 12:09 PM

Changing the registered email at those places can be helpful too. If the stalker can access his Yahoo! account and that's the registered email at Facebook, etc. then changes to those accounts would be useless.

He should also check his firewall/sharing settings. If he's properly protected, someone should not be able to get into his computer from the outside.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Changing the registered email at those places can be helpful too. If the stalker can access his Yahoo! account and that's the registered email at Facebook, etc. then changes to those accounts would be useless.

He should also check his firewall/sharing settings. If he's properly protected, someone should not be able to get into his computer from the outside.

That may have been what he specifically wanted help with. He asked if I was TCP/IP savvy and I am so not!
#5 Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Do you know what sort of computer he has, what browser he's using, the ISP he has, etc.?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I only know his ISP is Mediacom. I sent him the suggestions so far and he says he'll try them. I'll see what else I can find out.

ETA - He says XP/Firefox.

ETA2 - He said he switched to Linux for a while and it stopped but when he switched back to XP it started up all over again.
#7 Old 02-04-2009, 01:06 AM

Is he using any sort of Firewall software? I think most ISP offer something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page