Runtime errors on my parents' PC - Please help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Whenever I use my parents' PC, I get at random times an error message that reads typically like this:

Quote:
A Runtime Error has occurred.

Do you wish to debug?

Line 1304

Error: Object doesn't support the property or method.

1. I have no idea what these error messages mean.

2. When I click yes, it starts a debug process, but I have no idea what is going on and what I'm supposed to do next.

3. When I click no, it usually takes another couple of clicks before I can get rid of the error message. And when I try to continue what I was doing before the error message popped up, the error message appears AGAIN. and AGAIN. and AGAIN. It occurs at random times so I never know when to expect it, and it's damned annoying. My parents, being in their 80's, have no clue, either. They do what I do, which is to click "no" until the error mesage goes away, and often they just give up using the computer because the message keeps reappearing. They depend on ME to troubleshoot their computer, and obviously, I'm no computer expert.

So, can anyone tell me what it's all about and how I can keep those messages from coming back? Please help!

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Banned

does the computer actually appear to work fine, apart from the message?

if so, i'd just change a setting so your computer doesn't make the message pop up and offer to fix stuff.

see method 1 here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260
#3 Old 01-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, everything else was just fine. So I went to Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced and made sure both Disable Script Debugging (internet Explorer) and Disable Script Debugging (Other) were both checked. Clicked Apply, then saved.

Still got that error message.

*facepalm*

After a couple minutes of going I restarted the computer.

No error messages now.

Thank you so much!

I can't believe it was that easy to fix.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

yay! i like the ignoring strategy for minor problems too. hopefully it was just that.
#5 Old 01-26-2009, 02:39 AM
Ex-*****

Just a thought in case it comes back:

If it's Windows itself that causes the error (as opposed to a third-party driver or software), then maybe it could be solved by installing any updates/patches that are available. So, are your folks up-to-date with the latest Windows updates?

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#6 Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Just a thought in case it comes back:

If it's Windows itself that causes the error (as opposed to a third-party driver or software), then maybe it could be solved by installing any updates/patches that are available. So, are your folks up-to-date with the latest Windows updates?

That's the funniest thing I've read on VB on ages.

#7 Old 01-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Ex-*****

He-heh, not the best choice of words, I guess My own parents are fossils from the pre-cambrium era, so I know that any kind of computer-related issue can be really, really hard ....

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#8 Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, I should have added: Thanks for the reminder. As I posted before, they depend on me for troubleshooting (even when I'm clueless myself), but I should really take the initiative to make sure their PC is in good running order BEFORE something goes wrong. So the next time I'm there, I'll take a look and see if there's anything that can and should be updated.

#9 Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Actually, I should have added: Thanks for the reminder. As I posted before, they depend on me for troubleshooting (even when I'm clueless myself), but I should really take the initiative to make sure their PC is in good running order BEFORE something goes wrong. So the next time I'm there, I'll take a look and see if there's anything that can and should be updated.

as well as having an idiotproof secutiry program up and running, which requires little to no input from them (is set to scan and remove stuff on its own, etc) do they know how to run disk cleanup and do a defrag?

these would be top of my basic problem avoiding list. i put a shortcut to both of these in a folder on my mums desktop for her, and she has instructions to do them both- in that order- once a week. sometimes i get her to do it when she calls me every week, that way she can talk me through as she does it, and feels confident that she's doing it right, and we chat while it runs, then she tells me when its all done- and i can troubleshoot if there is an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page