Problems with my MacBook: Finder won't quit and DVD won't eject - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Overall I love my MacBook and wouldn't have it any other way. I browsed on the Apple website to see if I could find anything in their support section, but nothing seemed to address my specific issues.

Finder won't quit. That means I cannot shut down my computer or restart it without doing it the really nasty, brutal way of disconnecting the cord and pulling out the battery. For some time I have sufficed with simply putting my computer to sleep when not in use. However, if Finder won't quit, that's a problem that's not going to just go away on its own.

Also, I wanted to listen to some music, so I tried putting a CD in the DVD/CD drive. It appeared to already have a disc in the drive, although no icon appeared on my desktop to indicate so. I tried choosing "Eject disc" from inside iTunes. The computer made a whirring noise that sounded like it was working hard at something, but no disc came out.

What might have caused these two issues, and how can they be fixed? Thanks much!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm I know some macbooks have has disc drive issues, can't think of any easy way to resolve that one.

As for finder not quitting, what do you mean? You don't usually 'quit' finder, you can click the red dot to get rid of the finder window but not quit it as such and either way this should have nothing to do with shutting down. To shut down you click the pretty apple in the corner and select shut down or alternatively press the power switch once gently for a mini second and an opinion comes up asking if you want to shut down, sleep etc.

If you want to look for some good mac support google for the macrumours forums, i've always had quite a bit of help from the mac geeks there in the past.
#3 Old 01-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

To eject your disc, you can poke gently with a safety pin/paper clip, etc. inside the foam edging on the drive slot, and you'll find a manual eject button (teeny tiny round button).

MacFixIt's a nice place too.

Do you mean that you can shut down when choosing "shut down" from the Apple Menu?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Hmmm I know some macbooks have has disc drive issues, can't think of any easy way to resolve that one.

As for finder not quitting, what do you mean? You don't usually 'quit' finder, you can click the red dot to get rid of the finder window but not quit it as such and either way this should have nothing to do with shutting down. To shut down you click the pretty apple in the corner and select shut down or alternatively press the power switch once gently for a mini second and an opinion comes up asking if you want to shut down, sleep etc.

If you want to look for some good mac support google for the macrumours forums, i've always had quite a bit of help from the mac geeks there in the past.

Finder has to quit first or I can't shut down my computer. If I try to shut it down using any method other than the scary nasty one with the battery, I get an error message saying Finder failed to quit so I should relaunch it and try again. I have tried many times and I get the same message. Same if I try to restart.

I'll have to check out macrumours, thans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

To eject your disc, you can poke gently with a safety pin/paper clip, etc. inside the foam edging on the drive slot, and you'll find a manual eject button (teeny tiny round button).

MacFixIt's a nice place too.

Do you mean that you can shut down when choosing "shut down" from the Apple Menu?

Hmm, whereabouts inside the drive slot would this teeny tiny round button be? I tried gently poking a paper clip end inside around the perimeter but I didn't find anything that seemed like a button.

I'll have to try MacFixIt as well, thanks. I think I explained the situation in more detail above.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 01-14-2009, 02:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Hm. It should be on the far edge of the slot (not sure about left/right, since I don't have the exact same machine).

You should *not* have to quit the finder before shutting down, so that's a problem right there. Have you run any virus checkers/Disk First Aid, etc. to see if there are any problems with your hard drive? If you have copies of the OS discs, you can reinstall them too, and see if that helps. What version are you running btw?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 01-14-2009, 05:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Did you try pressing apple-option-escape? That's the equivalent of ctrl-alt-delete, and it should bring up the window for "force quit", in which you can relaunch the Finder. As for ejecting the disk, I had trouble with that once (with iBook G4) and I remember I just had to put my computer to sleep and when it woke up, it ejected the disk. There's also a webpage somewhere called "ejecting a disk when everything else fails", which you can probably google.

And if you have to shut it down the "brutal" way, you don't have to unplug it and remove the battery, you just need to press and hold the power button, and after about 5 seconds, it will shut down.

That's all I can think of, good luck!
#7 Old 01-17-2009, 10:33 AM

Holding down the trackpad button while you reboot should eject whatever's stuck in the drive, if that doesn't work there are various mechanical methods given here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...d-macbook.html

For the finder issue, try repairing your permissions - start up Disk Utility (in Applications -> Utilities), choose your startup volume (typically called Macintosh HD) and in the "first aid" section there's buttons to verify and repair disk permissions. Try a verify first, if it thinks that anything's wrong then try repair.
#8 Old 01-18-2009, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

these the Fall 08 redesigned Macbooks? I don't know how to fix it but I hope for a happy ending because I've been tempted to get a Macbook Pro 17 for a few months now.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page